re meat pies

28 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Pilgrim Fathers sailed from England to America. So thanking them.

so it is ketchup on their 🥧 not sauce. I have heard it called ketsup.

Now they come from the south for a better life ,fast food ,pay TV and government benefits.

46 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Perhaps they have another name for it. I dont like pumpkin that much. Have the odd bit.

From my time over there, the only pumpkin commonly eaten was the butternut. Referred to as a butternut squash.

Roast veggies was not really a thing, at least in the mid west.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think Americans think of a pie as a dessert.

There pumpkin pie is pretty average.

A pie base with something like Queensland blue as a filling.

A good homemade pumpkin pie is delicious. I had an American friend in NZ who would always make pumpkin pie when they entertained. So yummy. I found a good recipe and made one once. I used butternut baked in foil to make the puree as it has a sweeter flavour than regular pumpkins. It's the spices that really make it special though, and it has to be served with whipped cream to balance the flavours.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In my youth, pumpkin was mashed with potato so children would eat it!  Roast pumpkin is delicious!

When we were kids Mum would make mashed potato & mashed pumpkin. My sisters wouldn’t  eat the pumpkin, so Mum would mix them together. My sisters loved the yellow mashed potato 😃

yes roast pumpkin is great

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I love a gramma pie. Had one many years ago after the Dungog/Clarence Town canoe race. It was made by local CWA ladies. Best I ever tasted.

I googled gramma pie but I'm none the wiser.  What is gramma?

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

When we were kids Mum would make mashed potato & mashed pumpkin. My sisters wouldn’t  eat the pumpkin, so Mum would mix them together. My sisters loved the yellow mashed potato 😃

yes roast pumpkin is great

It was tried on me..... didn't work... I am a salad person.. do have some veggies when out.

On pumpkin... cook it for the BH.....  and very rarely have had pumpkin soup......

but otherwise no pumpkin...

Also what is this thing with mix up so you will eat it... goop is not appetizing

it is like vitamizing  your food to puree... I am not old .....

Don 

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

It was tried on me..... didn't work... I am a salad person.. do have some veggies when out.

On pumpkin... cook it for the BH.....  and very rarely have had pumpkin soup......

but otherwise no pumpkin...

Also what is this thing with mix up so you will eat it... goop is not appetizing

it is like vitamizing  your food to puree... I am not old .....

Don 

Pumpkin being a vegetable was seen as healthy, so it was regularly mashed with potatoes to make it appealing to children who didn't like pumpkin.  

We have pumpkin soup most of the year, but esp in cooler weather. 

Pumpkin is always available and is inexpensive to stretch the family budget.  

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

Gramma  is another word for Butternut Pumpkin

It is still Pumpkin       lol

Don

Thank you.  I just made butternut pumpkin soup, but didn't know it was gramma.  Maybe it is another one of those southern words.  

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I googled gramma pie but I'm none the wiser.  What is gramma?

"So what is a gramma? Technically, it's not a pumpkin but a member of the squash family. It is sometimes confused with the Butternut pumpkin, but the Butternut was not developed until the 1940s."

Gramma Pumpkin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

"So what is a gramma? Technically, it's not a pumpkin but a member of the squash family. It is sometimes confused with the Butternut pumpkin, but the Butternut was not developed until the 1940s."

Gramma Pumpkin

That is interesting  This picture has a lot more seeds than butternut pumpkin. 

10 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Gramma Pumpkin

Butternut is technically a squash not a pumpkin.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I used butternut baked in foil to make the puree as it has a sweeter flavour than regular pumpkins.

I did that once but it was so sweet it was inedible to me 😬. I don't mind some pumpkin soup and of course I boil the pumpkin so it is less sweet 😄, then I like to add a lot of bitter or sour flavours to balance the sweet. I have never had American pumpkin pie but I suspect I would not like it very much. However pre covid at a weekly market use to be a baker stall that made sourdough pumpkin bread which I did find delicious😉

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I did that once but it was so sweet it was inedible to me 😬. I don't mind some pumpkin soup and of course I boil the pumpkin so it is less sweet 😄, then I like to add a lot of bitter or sour flavours to balance the sweet. I have never had American pumpkin pie but I suspect I would not like it very much. However pre covid at a weekly market use to be a baker stall that made sourdough pumpkin bread which I did find delicious😉

Oddly enough it didn't seem too sweet in the pie but you expect pumpkin pie to be reasonably sweet. From memory it was nowhere near as sweet as something like sticky date pudding, it's more like a custard sweetness.

I tried the same technique for pumpkin soup once as an experiment and that was way too sweet for me. I prefer regular pumpkin for soup, not butternut.

• Like 1

The Americans use Gramma for their pies, and it is flavoured with spices like Cinnamon and Nutmeg. When made properly and served quite cold with whipped cream I find it delicious. Many times it has earned a bad name by people using Butternut Pumpkin as an alternative.

Another variation on the pumpkin theme is done using the small round orange coloured pumpkin called a Sugar Pumpkin with the correct name of Johnson's Pumpkin. The Thai people, and Aussies in the know, hollow out the seeds and fill it with Thai coconut custard mix, and bake it. Absolutely delicious believe me.

BTW The big pumpkins used  at Halloween are normally cattle food.

Edited by Russell21
Added info.

Okay, here we go. Here in the Great White North where you will also find pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving (ours is before the other country). You would find pumpkin puree in a can or for the really enthusiastic they will roast the gourd and make their own puree. My mom used to do it the hard way and then decided canned is just fine. I've never seen a "Gramma" squash, this is what we call pumpkin.

pumpkin.jpg.adc3d68c3815f37e645b21de6d88b737.jpg

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, here we go. Here in the Great White North where you will also find pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving (ours is before the other country). You would find pumpkin puree in a can or for the really enthusiastic they will roast the gourd and make their own puree. My mom used to do it the hard way and then decided canned is just fine. I've never seen a "Gramma" squash, this is what we call pumpkin.

That is a cute pumpkin.  Main pumpkins for sale in Queensland are Queensland Blue, Kent and Butternut.

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just for curiosity,in Canada do you say mom or mum ?

Edited by Chiliburn