re meat pies

On 5/22/2021 at 5:39 PM, NSWP said:

And a nice pic of the contents Lyle, please. We like to see the gravy content, enjoy.

Hey Lyle, have you tried the British Bobby Restaurant @ Parksville? near you? sounds great.

We haven't been to the British Bobby, Parksville is a couple hours north of here. I looked it up and we have driven by it several times. We had a get away in Parksville back in October I posted some pictures. We were scheduled to do another one before Christmas but cancelled because of the new "wave" that was brewing then. We expect to hear the "Plan" for re-opening after this weekend. It's "Victoria Day" tomorrow, a National Holiday so we get the day off, of course we can't really do much just now. We are staying close to home.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

OK, the mice 🐁 plague in NSW, who has them in their home or suburb? Not here yet in Batemans Bay, but will not be long. They are coming in on the produce and food trucks.

I have on old workmate in Broken Hill, the mice have invaded there.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

OK, the mice 🐁 plague in NSW, who has them in their home or suburb? Not here yet in Batemans Bay, but will not be long. They are coming in on the produce and food trucks.

We lived in a place that backed onto the bush, a looooooong time ago. At that time we had a few Dalmatians. Every house in the street had mice in the house even those with a few cats and dogs. Except us.

one day I picked up over 100 bodies and heads, our oldest boy would grab them by the head, shake so hard they head would be ripped off, onto the next mouse. This went on for 6-8 weeks. We got a new pup, about 6 weeks old. Went out one day, scores of headless mice and about 20 with head attached but little tooth marks around the neck. Obviously pup was learning his trade.

Not one ever made it past the clothes line.

• Haha 2

All this talk about mice, ..........isn’t this  supposed to be about meat pies🤔🤔🤔AH... I see the connection now. 😱😱. I think I might just have a salad thanks.😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NSWP said:

I watch and weep when I see the videos of thousands of mice on the farms and in people's houses.

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I watch and weep when I see the videos of thousands of mice on the farms and in people's houses.

It is a tragedy for farmers, esp with good conditions, following the long drought!

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

It is a tragedy for farmers, esp with good conditions, following the long drought!

What about the idiots from PETA that want the mice  caught and relocated instead of poisoning and killing them 😡😡😡

Just now, gbenjo said:

What about the idiots from PETA that want the mice  caught and relocated instead of poisoning and killing them 😡😡😡

The mind boggles at their stupidity! 😯🙄🤣

17 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

They did the same thing here with bunnies. Idiot people would buy their kids little bunnies at Easter, of course little bunnies become big bunnies and these "Rhodes" scholars would just drop them off at the hospital or the University. Next thing you know the hospital grounds and the adjacent highway are over run, foundations are being undermined by burrowing bunnies. Of course at the University the award winning presentation garden which is tended by the horticulture students and faculty as well as volunteers became a rather tasty salad bar.

Of course bunny would probably make good pies.

Edited by Blackduck59

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes, definitely, in a light mustard gravy.

Rabbit is a bit tricky to cook, it needs to be cooked slowly, and there are lots of tiny bones. But when done right it is delicious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, definitely, in a light mustard gravy.

Rabbit is a bit tricky to cook, it needs to be cooked slowly, and there are lots of tiny bones. But when done right it is delicious.

We had rabbit a few times when I was a kid, Years later I went deer hunting once came home with a bunny. As it turns out I'm not much of a hunter. I gave my gun to my nephew years ago.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

They did the same thing here with bunnies. Idiot people would buy their kids little bunnies at Easter, of course little bunnies become big bunnies and these "Rhodes" scholars would just drop them off at the hospital or the University. Next thing you know the hospital grounds and the adjacent highway are over run, foundations are being undermined by burrowing bunnies. Of course at the University the award winning presentation garden which is tended by the horticulture students and faculty as well as volunteers became a rather tasty salad bar.

Have you ever heard the song Run Rabbit Run, a famous WW2 song? Here are the words.

On the farm, ev'ry Friday
On the farm, it's rabbit pie day
So ev'ry Friday that ever comes along
I get up early and sing this little song
Run, rabbit, run, rabbit, run, run, run
Bang, bang, bang, bang goes the farmer's gun
Run, rabbit, run, rabbit, run, run, run, run
Don't give the farmer his fun, fun, fun
He'll get by without his rabbit pie
So run, rabbit, run, rabbit, run, run, run
Bang,

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

One of the butchers down here sells rabbit, I had it as a kid, but not for many years, I liked it, tastes like chicken, lol.

I've seen it in butchers here too but it's become very expensive. I bought a couple quite a few years ago when they were more reasonably priced and experimented with some recipes. Some turned our really well.

There used to be an Italian restaurant we would go occasionally that did gnocchi in a rabbit ragu. It was soooo good.

Our favourite restaurant in Paris does a wonderful braised rabbit dish. We always went there at least once on each trip. It was a family run bistro on the Iles de Saint Louis in the most amazing 17th century building. I hope they're surviving the pandemic OK.

4 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

Yes, rabbit pie was a regular menu item when I was kid, 1960s UK. Chicken was for special occasions.

My Dad grew up in rural Saskatchewan during the "Dirty Thirties" as they were known here. Rabbit was free if you were a good shot, Dad was a good shot. We only had it a few times when I was young because he still had that "taste" from then. Rabbit was all well and good when there was nothing else, we raised our own hogs, kept a steer for beef and had chickens for eggs and eating. Mom got rabbit a couple of time for something "different" until Dad came clean he didn't really like it. It sparked memories of hard times and even though we didn't have a lot of money, we didn't have to stoop to rabbits.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

One of the butchers down here sells rabbit, I had it as a kid, but not for many years, I liked it, tastes like chicken, lol.

When I was young, a rabbitoh came around door to door selling rabbits.  I remember it was delicious.

Chicken, raised in most back yard chook pens tasted better than free range now.   Was only for Sunday dinner or special occasions.