Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Yep, you fit in quite well with your buddies but you may be the leader of the pack. The three amigos who continue to support RC decisions while the vast majority of your peers understand what they did was horrible.

What exactly was the horror? Ad hominem attacks so typical of those trolling a forum they don't sail.

JC

You thought that and I thought that but if you are only looking at what RCI is telling You? I know because we were going to be on this cruise. They just kept saying over and over - we will turn around on Sunday. Then they said we will dock Sunday and board Monday between 12-3. ( we did get text after text) Only around noon on Sunday did they acknowledge they were not going to get into port and canceled the cruise. I know you don't remember this but YEARS ago you came to my defense when we were on the Ryndam and the autopilot went out and we had quite a list. I thought we were going to tip completely over. I googled "list on the Ryndam" and that is how I found Cruise Critic. My first post so I was a troll. I had photos but had no clue how to post them. You did it for me. There was no news coverage about it. So I know you are a good guy! This would have been our 37th RCI cruise and it won't be our last but they dropped the ball on this one.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Forums mobile app

I understand, that the communications sucked. I rarely decide anything like traveling to a place a hurricane is planning on hitting based solely on the basis of communication from someone who wants my money.

I was not planning on taking your cruise, and I feel your pain, but Friday afternoon, I knew that it was way more likely than not that nobody would be sailing from Galveston this past weekend. Compared to the real horrors that the people who are flooded out of their homes and are catching fish in their living rooms, making or missing a cruise just doesn't register very high to me.

I do think that everyone will be made mostly whole by both Carnival and RCI. That said it sucks to miss a planned trip, but much like the Anthem hurricane cruise, sometimes it is better to miss a cruise than take one.

JC

Question for those on board: what are they doing about tips for the staff? Those onboard certainly shouldn't be directly responsible for tipping but hopefully those employees are being made whole in some way.

Yes, good idea - let divert this into a tipping thread.

No, I suck at reading every thread. I imagined that nobody would look at the forecast last week and drive to Galveston to take a cruise this past weekend. So, I didn't think there would be any sailings from Galveston. This from a person not taking a cruise this past weekend from Galveston.

I watched the news, and I knew that a hurricane cat 3 (turned out to be a cat 4) would hit the coast Friday night and that it was going to just sit there, and rain and rain and rain. It blows my mind that people who were taking a cruise could imagine that they were going to somehow get on that ship this past weekend.

JC

I can't really argue with your logic JC but answer one question for me. Why didn't RCI know what everyone else was expected to know? Oh yeah I forgot, their meteorologist had a totally different view of this disaster than everyone else on planet earth. His main job is probably in RCI's IT department and he is doing double duty.

Edited by Ocean Boy

They will be clearing customs today in Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ummm, yeah, exactly what I was referring to. Thus the reason it was quoted ;)

My point being are they doing this in anticipation of the roads still being unpassable Friday in Galveston?

Yes, good idea - let divert this into a tipping thread.

I was expressing concern for how this crisis could impact the livelihood of some of the crew. I specifically said it was not the responsibility of current passengers. Sorry if you took offense to my concern.

I was expressing concern for how this crisis could impact the livelihood of some of the crew. I specifically said it was not the responsibility of current passengers. Sorry if you took offense to my concern.

At least they are well fed and have dry beds to sleep in. I suspect there are people in Texas whose livelihoods will be affected for far more than 2-3 days.

I have addressed my concerns with our travel agent and will make them known in writing to upper management. As a consultant, and particularly a project and marketing consultant after I shed my political past, I am geared towards solving problems, not pointing fingers.

This is not to be construed to mean I feel this is something to be glossed over. Rather, to mean that my preference is for an organization I have an established relationship with to be given the opportunity to review its decisions and procedures and continually strive for improvement. Perhaps I am a forgiving person, maybe patient, maybe pragmatic.

But beyond cruises, beyond itineraries, beyond even road closures, the only thing that needs to be focused on, right now, is best exemplified by the acknowledgement of this reality:

There were people on the SECOND floor of their homes waiting the flood out. They had to evacuate.

Perspective.

Not sure why they were in such a hurry but MarrineTraffic showed Liberty at almost 24 knots just south of Key West earlier this morning.

Even faster, almost 25 knots, south of Key Largo. Burning lots of fuel - hmmm......:confused:

At least they are well fed and have dry beds to sleep in. I suspect there are people in Texas whose livelihoods will be affected for far more than 2-3 days.

I know and understand that those folks are living through hell. But since this is the LOS thread, I was targeting my concern to the crew who still have to do all the "heavy lifting" onboard. I guess my ultimate hope is that RCI steps-up for those crewmembers and messages that to current passengers so that they don't feel responsible.

I still would wonder whether it would be better for LOS to remain in Miami given that even if the port were to open later this week there may be nowhere to go.

I can't really argue with your logic JC but answer one question for me. Why didn't RCI know what everyone else was expected to know? Oh yeah I forgot, their meteorologist had a totally different view of this disaster than everyone else on planet earth. His main job is probably in RCI's IT department and he is doing double duty.

Good point. I use weather underground, and sometimes when I have poor internet connectivity it will load the radar with no radar hits on it and it will stay that way for a long time, with little indication that it is still trying to load the radar data. I am guessing that the RCI "meteorologist" (does anyone really think they are spending an extra $60K to have a meteorologist when the weather channel is free?) had a similar problem. Probably because of the IT staff...

On the other hand without any optimistic people (including "meteorologists") the entire world would be like this thread. The sky would be constantly falling, and everything would be the worst disaster ever.

I hope the damn storm moves and hurries it butt across the SE and out to England where it is supposed to go...:eek::halo:

JC

I still would wonder whether it would be better for LOS to remain in Miami given that even if the port were to open later this week there may be nowhere to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Unfortunate situation there. They should remain in Miami

The last C&A e-magazine did a huge article on him.

My concern is consistency of messaging. Why aren't all the cruise lines coordinating together on consistent messaging for passengers?

I work within the weather enterprise and we work very hard to work with our private sector partners and emergency managers to maintain consistent messages and limit confusion and "fog of war" during these types of events. While not directly involved with Harvey, I was closely monitoring it as I have friends that are on the front lines there. IMO, they did a very good job emphasizing the fresh water flooding and heavy rainfall as the primary impacts. Brock Long even emphasized that on Friday with CNN and other media outlets, specifically mentioned 3 to possibly 4 FEET of rain in the Houston area crippling the city.

see above in red
Sadly, you are wasting your gray matter on this one. When I saw someone equating the wind speed of a hurricane and how fast it actually moved.......well, that explained a bunch of the posts that have been made on RCL's failing to put safety ahead of their bottom line.

Ummm, yeah, exactly what I was referring to. Thus the reason it was quoted ;)

My point being are they doing this in anticipation of the roads still being unpassable Friday in Galveston?

They are given people the option to disembark in Miami, so need clearance there.