Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

Incoming..................or one thats free of anti smoking fanatics, smoking areas are clearly defined if you don't like it don't go there. Oh, bye the way I'm a non smoker.

40 years since i stopped smoking when 2 close relatives died of lung cancer in their mid fifties through smoking.

There might be smoking areas but like at home you have to walk past smokers congregating just outside the door of pubs, restaurants etc with no consideration.

I'm a non smoker too but I don't begrudge the ones who do. Also what have you got against children for goodness sake?! You were one once you know. :rolleyes:

You completely misunderstood my comment. I simply stated a fact that there are child free ships. Not that I don’t like children. That’s quite a leap. For the record, we have only ever been on family ships so far!

I'm a non smoker too but I don't begrudge the ones who do. Also what have you got against children for goodness sake?! You were one once you know. :rolleyes:

Noisy, running wild around the ship, pressing all the lift buttons etc,etc.

P&O recognise people want peace and quiet away from kids thats why they have adult only ships.

Noisy, running wild around the ship, pressing all the lift buttons etc,etc.

P&O recognise people want peace and quiet away from kids thats why they have adult only ships.

We only need tipping and this thread will have all bases covered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone think that P&O will amend this policy, I agree that 2-3 nighters are/have become booze cruises & need sorting, but this is like hitting a wart with a sledge hammer. I think most normal length cruises avoid the hen party groups.

Why not have a ban on all alcohol brought on board for the short length cruises but allow checked reasonable amount allowed on board for the normal length trips ???

As for tipping !!!! I can see some people tipping extra to cabin stewards to get them to smuggle extra booze on board.

Or of course get the mobility scooter brigade on smuggling runs !!!

Malc

Incoming..................or one thats free of anti smoking fanatics, smoking areas are clearly defined if you don't like it don't go there. Oh, bye the way I'm a non smoker.

I agree. If you don't like it , steer clear. Generally it's a small area anyway. So let's ban excessive drinkers as well .

Unfortunately many addicts who are now using electronic methods to deliver their nicotine hit don't believe they are restricted to the smoking areas, causing others to suffer the obnoxious smelling fumes they puff out.

Well - it's happened.

As of Jan 1st.

Each guest aged 18 years and older may bring one bottle of the following; wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur (up to 1 litre in size) on board as they embark the ship for the first time only. Alcohol over this limit will be stored and returned to the guest on the last evening of the cruise, at no charge. There is no corkage charge for this bottle.

You’re welcome to buy bottles of alcohol at ports along the way, but you won’t be able to drink it while on... board. We’ll look after it until your cruise comes to an end and return it to you.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/po/before-you-sail/alcohol

Still quite liberal, being permitted to bring on a 1L bottle of spirits. On Princess it is just one bottle of wine or champagne on embarkation and nothing to be brought on at the ports enroute.:evilsmile: The Alcohol Police are at the gangways checking bags.

Hi,it seems a generous deal compared to other cruise lines.2 lts of voddy in our cabin for 2 weeks seems ok.Anything longer like worldies may be a problem unless they split it into segments,which they do anyway for other benefits.Have I misread this or can we bring 1ltr of spirit and 1 bottle of wine,or one or the other,cheers,Brian.

Does anyone think that P&O will amend this policy, I agree that 2-3 nighters are/have become booze cruises & need sorting, but this is like hitting a wart with a sledge hammer. I think most normal length cruises avoid the hen party groups.

Why not have a ban on all alcohol brought on board for the short length cruises but allow checked reasonable amount allowed on board for the normal length trips ???

As for tipping !!!! I can see some people tipping extra to cabin stewards to get them to smuggle extra booze on board.

Or of course get the mobility scooter brigade on smuggling runs !!!

Malc

People posting photos all over social media of small bars being taken on board have no doubt helped to bring in this policy, people saying "take as much as you can" and then encouraging people to drink it around the ship, we saw people on Azura last year openly pulling bottles of gin and wine out of bags and pouring it into glasses, in front of bar staff. It's not on. Why people have to ruin it for others is beyond me, but sadly they do.

People posting photos all over social media of small bars being taken on board have no doubt helped to bring in this policy, people saying "take as much as you can" and then encouraging people to drink it around the ship, we saw people on Azura last year openly pulling bottles of gin and wine out of bags and pouring it into glasses, in front of bar staff. It's not on. Why people have to ruin it for others is beyond me, but sadly they do.

Just back from Azura and saw that same thing - 4 people on the table next to us in the Planet bar openly pouring Gin into purchased tonic and saw it agin again on the sailaway with a bottle of prosecco, they even asked for 4 glasses from the bar !!

If P&O are not policing this then people will continue to do it.

Just back from Azura and saw that same thing - 4 people on the table next to us in the Planet bar openly pouring Gin into purchased tonic and saw it agin again on the sailaway with a bottle of prosecco, they even asked for 4 glasses from the bar !!

I agree they are taking the xxxx and now we are all going to lose out.

So instead of policing it at source and dealing with the smallish number of people on board who do this compared to the many who would never dream of carrying a bottle into a bar and using it - they punish everyone.

Unfortunately the people who will openly pour gin in a bar are also the very people who will ignore the limits and find a way to sneak extra liquor onboard anyway. I have seen it on the US ships and heard the rule breakers boast about their ingenious methods.

How big a problem was it anyway? I have to be honest and say that apart from the odd one or two worse for the wear I have never seen hordes of drunks on a P&O ship. We don't tend to do the short cruises though.

We have seen more drunks on Celebrity and RCI but they were using the all inclusive drinks packages.

So instead of policing it at source and dealing with the smallish number of people on board who do this compared to the many who would never dream of carrying a bottle into a bar and using it - they punish everyone.

Unfortunately the people who will openly pour gin in a bar are also the very people who will ignore the limits and find a way to sneak extra liquor onboard anyway. I have seen it on the US ships and heard the rule breakers boast about their ingenious methods.

How big a problem was it anyway? I have to be honest and say that apart from the odd one or two worse for the wear I have never seen hordes of drunks on a P&O ship. We don't tend to do the short cruises though.

We have seen more drunks on Celebrity and RCI but they were using the all inclusive drinks packages.

The all inclusive is where its heading because they have the excuse like RC to stick 2-3 hundred pounds per person on the price of the cruise and then call it a free drinks package.

As a captive audience drinks prices will go up.

On RC a glass of Sauvignon Blanc $15 about £12 for a standard glass.

We could not afford drinks on RCI or Celebrity without a drinks package. We only ever book on those lines if the price with a drinks packageincluded is comparable to a P&O price with no drinks included. Not seen a lot of drunks though - seen more on a P&O 2 nighter.

We could not afford drinks on RCI or Celebrity without a drinks package. We only ever book on those lines if the price with a drinks packageincluded is comparable to a P&O price with no drinks included. Not seen a lot of drunks though - seen more on a P&O 2 nighter.

No, not a lot - just more than I have personally seen on P&O. They were also merry drunks not the neuwt variety.

I would imagine that the short cruises are the issue here.

As a captive audience drinks prices will go up.

On RC a glass of Sauvignon Blanc $15 about £12 for a standard glass.

The price of alcohol in the USA is a lot higher than it is here (or was when I was last there), so naturally, drinks prices on US cruise lines will be higher too. Of course, a tip is also expected in the USA and added to drinks prices on-board.