Norwegian Epic Questions & Concerns

Georgia_Peaches

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

We are booked on the Epic for a Thanksgiving cruise. We've never sailed on NCL before so I've spent a lot of time reading reviews. All of my experience is with either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity so I am in uncharted waters, pardon the pun. Since my husband and I are taking along our two daughter and their guests, we opted for three balcony cabins with no special perks other than the affordability. Reviews posted over the last few weeks are fairly negative as it relates to almost everything. Realizing that some people are hard to please no matter what, I decided to ask a few questions in the hopes you can confirm or deny certain claims:

1. True or false, adult beverages are not allowed poolside or in the pool area at large.

2. True or false, it takes hours to board the ship on embarkation day (we do not have priority boarding and our port is Miami)

3. True or False: Noise in the public areas is unbearable both inside and out.

4. True or false: There is an up-charge for theater shows ( I thought some shows were included).

5. True or false: There is not much for 20-somethings to do in the evening.

As with all things in life, this trip will be what we make it but I'm just wondering what others' perspectives might be. Thank you in advance!

Christina

(1) Adult beverages are everywhere

(2) Embarkation may take a bit because the ship will be very full over Thanksgiving week. If there has not been a problem with the disembarking passengers, it should go very smoothly.

(3) With a very full ship- there will be noise. Been on ships over Thanksgiving ( The Getaway), very little noise issue except from unruly children.

(4) It is advisable to make reservations for shows in the theater. If there is "Dinner or Lunch" show, then will be a charge for that show only.

(5) With a dance party of one type or another every night, you should find something for you do do each night.

Enjoy

I'll be disembarking when you get on and I think you may have the wrong Port. We are disembarking in Port Canaveral. Are you boarding November 18? It might be a delayed boarding only because the cruise before you is a transatlantic si customs might be slower. This will be my first time on the Epic so I can't comment on on the other things but it's the first I've heard about no drinking around the pool area. And if that's the case they are gonna have a ship full of unhappy people on my cruise.

I did make reservations for the main shows there was no charge for this.

I can't attest to the noise level or what there is to do for 30 something's but I know there is a club on board and many nightly parties in the H2O zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

We are booked on the Epic for a Thanksgiving cruise. We've never sailed on NCL before so I've spent a lot of time reading reviews. All of my experience is with either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity so I am in uncharted waters, pardon the pun. Since my husband and I are taking along our two daughter and their guests, we opted for three balcony cabins with no special perks other than the affordability. Reviews posted over the last few weeks are fairly negative as it relates to almost everything. Realizing that some people are hard to please no matter what, I decided to ask a few questions in the hopes you can confirm or deny certain claims:

1. True or false, adult beverages are not allowed poolside or in the pool area at large.

2. True or false, it takes hours to board the ship on embarkation day (we do not have priority boarding and our port is Miami)

4. True or false: There is an up-charge for theater shows ( I thought some shows were included).

As with all things in life, this trip will be what we make it but I'm just wondering what others' perspectives might be. Thank you in advance!

Christina

We've sailed on Epic 3 times and, although it's not our favorite NCL ship, we've enjoyed every cruise. Epic gets dinged for the bathroom configuration, lack of outdoor space on lower decks, and a crowded pool scene. We're not modest at all, so the bathroom thing doesn't matter to us at all. The other two don't really impact us that much either. As for your questions, here's my thoughts.

1. Adult beverages by the pool are not restricted, other than they can't be in glass.

2. It would only take hours to board if you arrived way before they started boarding and had to sit around waiting for boarding to start.

3. I don't remember it being any louder or quieter than the other big ships, all of which have bigger open spaces and more people than the smaller ones.

4. The evening shows are free except for any shows with sit-down dining.

5. There's plenty for 20-somethings to do unless they don't drink, dance, party, gamble, hang out by the pool, or go onshore.

The problem with what you read on CC is that you get what you pay for. ;)

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

FALSE

2. True or false, it takes hours to board the ship on embarkation day (we do not have priority boarding and our port is Miami)Bu

Traffic in the port to the terminal building took us the longest. Once inside the terminal we boarded the Epic within 45 minutes.

FALSE. Although if you don't like the music the band or DJ by the pool is playing you might find it unbearable. They are plenty of quiet places on the ship.

FALSE. However there is a charge to see the Cirque dinner show. Theater shows are free.

Can't help you with that. I think it would depend on what the 20-somethings enjoy.

Christina

We cruised on the Epic this past December (2016) out of Port Canaveral.

Are you sure about the ship? If so Epic sails from Port Canaveral. I don't believe most of the things you've asked about. We are not pool people so not positive but I believe it can't be glass glasses.

Only show that had a charge was the Dinner/Circus like show. I enjoyed it and our food was good. I hear others that don't care for the meal.

It did not take hours to board. Seemed very fast to me.

We just sailed on her this past April and have booked again for next fall.

I haven't been on Epic yet, but we're booked for New Years. Are you sure you go out of Miami? When Epic is in the US, it goes out of Port Canaveral. As far as I know, drinks are allowed on the pool deck, that's why they use plastic cups. I've never heard of a ship that didn't allow drinks by the pool! For the shows, I believe most are free. The dinner show in the tent venue is not.

Responses below in red

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

1. True or false, adult beverages are not allowed poolside or in the pool area at large. False. There's booze everywhere, its a cruise ship :-). They don't want glass by the pool, so if you have a glass bottle just ask for a plastic cup to pour it in to.

2. True or false, it takes hours to board the ship on embarkation day (we do not have priority boarding and our port is Miami) Maybe - depends on how disembarkation goes, what time you show up, what time everyone else shows up, etc. Generally expect an hour or so, but it could be longer on a holiday sailing. The ship will be filled to capacity.

3. True or False: Noise in the public areas is unbearable both inside and out. False. Some people just like to complain. It can get a little noisy at the pool during competitions like Belly Flop, Sexiest Man, etc. If you like quiet, try to upgrade to The Haven, buy a spa pass, or check out Spice H2O during the day.

4. True or false: There is an up-charge for theater shows ( I thought some shows were included). Mostly false. Most theater shows are free, but the "Cirque" show has an upcharge as do a few lunch/dinner shows. But there is a free theater show every night for you to enjoy, as well as a comedy show most nights.

5. True or false: There is not much for 20-somethings to do in the evening. False. Theater shows, comedy shows, bars, night club, theme parties, Howl at the Moon, live music @ Cavern Club, etc. Much more do to on a cruise ship at night than at an all-inclusive resort. If you're bored at night, that's your fault, not Norwegian's.

Christina

1.) False.

2.) I am not familiar with the port in Miami as I go to the NYC port when I cruised with NCL. With the NYC port, I think the best time would be around 1pm when the security go fast and then would be on board. For the Miami port or any other ports, check to see when you have to be on board by/when the cruise ship is deporting? NCL said need to be on board (2) hours prior to sailing. ncl.com/faq#boarding-times

3.) Public areas on NCL Epic - what public areas? Do you mean the buffet area or the pool? Noises shouldnt be that bad.

4.) There are free shows as well as some shows you would need to pay for if you are interested in those. The Burn the Floor, Escape the Big Top, Howl at the Moon and the Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical are complimentary. Make sure to get your ticket/to reserve for these shows. ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/whats-on-board/entertainment

5.) Do not know what a 20-somethings want to do. There are the Bliss Lounge, Spice H2O, Pool, Gym, etc. cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=481&pgtype=activities

We are on the Nov. 18th on Epic this year but out of PC. Not sure if you meant PC unless you are looking at another year or ship. I see others have responded on the other questions you had...we were on our first NCL on the Breakaway back in October. We sail mainly Carnival, but have been on RCCL, HAL and Celebrity, knock on wood we've never had a "bad cruise" , we have a aft balcony so looking forward to this cruise (except it may be crowded ) another reason we wanted a balcony. For us, after our very first cruise, we now always wait and get to the port after 1:30 or 2. We walked right on, never waited in lines. So much easier and no stress. On the GEM in a few weeks, plan to get to the Port around 2 like we did when we went out on the Breakaway, no lines! Enjoy your cruise.

We are booked on the Epic out of Port Canaveral on the December 9 cruise. My DH and I were on the Epic for our first ever cruise and now 5 NCL cruises later we will be back. This was one of our favorite ships because of all the great entertainment and night life. We will be taking 3 of our sons ages 21, 24, 30 and our Daughter in law 30 with us this time. We have decided to book a 2 bedroom Haven suite so we can all stay together and enjoy all the Haven perks. Don't worry about all that could go wrong. Just go with a positive attitude and you will all have a great time. Enjoy your cruise.

Are you sure about the ship? If so Epic sails from Port Canaveral. I don't believe most of the things you've asked about. We are not pool people so not positive but I believe it can't be glass glasses.

Only show that had a charge was the Dinner/Circus like show. I enjoyed it and our food was good. I hear others that don't care for the meal.

It did not take hours to board. Seemed very fast to me.

We just sailed on her this past April and have booked again for next fall.

Sorry, I meant Port Canaveral. Thank you for the info.

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

Christina

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We are on the Transatlantic that docks in Port Canaveral on Nov 18.

So it may take a little longer for you all to board.

If you haven;t done so yet, you should get online and book the shows you want; at least "priscilla" and Burn the Floor.

And any specialty restaurants that you want to go to. You can do all that 90 days out so you can do it now.

Most of your questions have been answered. Just to add a couple points. I think when people write reviews saying this false information it's due to them failing to ask questions.

Glass is not permitted in the pool or poolside. Possibly someone had an adult beverage in a glass, were told they couldn't bring it out, and misunderstood. They could bring the drink out in a plastic cup however.

Most of the shows involve a ticketing system for crowd control. The tickets are free. But I think people get to the show, are asked about tickets, and don't realize the tickets are free. The shows do allow you in without a ticket, you just have to wait until 10 minutes before the show to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not worry too much I have sailed on Celebrity and RCCL and am booked on the Epic for the 13 day Transatlantic. For any large cruise ship planning ahead is the most important thing to do. make sure you book your shows ahead of time and print out the confirmations. Same for dinner reservations if you prefer to have dinner at a certain time. I am not sure if they can link your reservations or not so that you can do the reservations for the group. If you look at any of the dailies you can get a pretty good feel for what happens during the day or night. The ship will be full and there will be chaos, just a fact of life when cruising over a holiday. Roll with the punches and just enjoy your vacation.

Last cruise on RCCL Allure the internet was down for quite a bit longer than they had said it would be. I was pretty upset, not because I could not stream netflix but the poor communication which is pretty common. I got over it and just went and did something else.

Don't try to find stuff to do for everyone let people do their own thing. Nothing spoils my vacation worse that getting dragged to the gym or some exercise class in the morning.

Hi Georgia Peach- Christina,

I have been cruising Norwegian for a long time and have made platinum status. In answer to your questions:

1. Adult beverages ARE allowed poolside.

2. From our experience if you arrive at the port between 9-10 you do not have to wait hours on end. (normal boarding starts roughly at 11:30. The first to arrive board first.

3. If you have tinitus, the noise may bother you. We have never experienced overly loud noises. (one thing you might want to do for night time is to bring a white sound machine. If you are over disco or theater areas and want to go to sleep during that time, THAT could be an issue. The white sound machine will drown out the noise. You can go to Bed Bath & Beyond and pick one up for about $20.00 and it includes an alarm clock)

4. On the Epic, the Cirque du Soleil does have an up-charge because it is a dinner show. We paid @ $35.00 for the two of us for floor seats. Well worth the show & meal. All other shows were free but if you want good seats - make reservations. Reservations for ALL shows can be made 90 days out. This also applies for specialty dining (up-charge) or free dining.

5. Haven't been 20 for a while but have never met unhappy 20-year-olds on the Norwegian ships. There is LOTS to do on the ship for ALL ages.

Don't listen to the Negativity!!! Have fun!!! :):D:p

Christina

I think everyone has already answered your questions but I have to say, we were on the Epic for our very first cruise. I too read the reviews after booking with our friends who made the ship choice. The reviews scared me that we had booked a bad ship! We were bringing both of my daughters 23 and 18 for there graduation gifts 1 high school 1 college so I wanted it to be perfect for them. Well, I worried for nothing they had an absolute blast! In fact I had a hard time getting them to meet us for dinner as they were doing one thing or another. They had several things scheduled for 18 to 21 year olds age group which my other daughter actually joined in on.

We have been on the Epic, Escape and Breakaway and are going back on the Escape in Feb. But the Epic is my favorite by far. We are only back on the Escape because the casino offered it to us although it is a great ship also.

Hope you have a great time, you picked a great ship!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worst thing about Epic is the elevator situation. Getting off at Great Stirrup Caye was rather frustrating as well mainly because other guest were quite rude and did not listen.

We had a great time on Epic. The deck chairs on floor 18 (or was it 19?) are the best and super quiet up there as well. Take the elevator on the left coming out of the Buffet to the top and make your way to the front of the ship.

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

Christina

We sailed this exact cruise last year at Thanksgiving and loved it! I see you corrected yourself and did state PC, which is good because if you went to Miami for the Epic boarding you would be in serious trouble LOL.

We had lots of adult beverages by the pool and in the hot tub.:D

It did take a bit longer when boarding for that cruise since it was the first after the transatlantic and there was lots of confusion. We arrived at the port at around 11am and was on the ship by around 1pm if I remember correctly. It was not real organized at all, this was a lot to do with the port employees not being organized.

Actually, the noise on the Epic was not as loud as the noise on the Carnival cruises we have taken which have the most noisy pool areas I have ever heard!

Theater shows are free and loved them! Cirque is a dinner and show which there is an upcharge for.

Lots of things in the evening to do for 20 year olds.

If I can make a couple of suggestions. We never had a problem getting a table for dinner that week except for Thanksgiving night. We had reservations so was able to walk right in but for those that did not have reservations, there was a 45 minute wait. Our friends did not have reservations and ended up eating at the buffet. Make your reservations for Thanksgiving night in advance, online.

Another suggestion is to make your reservation for the tender to Great Stirrup Cay as soon as you get on the ship, you can do it at any kiosk or on the television in your cabin. Our friends did not make reservations and was not able to tender until almost 12pm and we left the island at 3pm. We made the first tender at 8am and enjoyed the whole day there.

Last, if you want to see any comedy shows, make sure and make the reservations at the same time as when you make your tender reservations because if you wait until Sat. night then they will be full. Learned the hard way and had to wait until the next week (we were on a b2b) to see the comedy shows.

Christina

Having sailed on the Epic 7 times, I would say all false.

#5 is totally up to the demographics on the ship, but NCL out of Miami tends to draw a "younger" demographic.

#4 there is an additional charge Cirque dinner show. All main theater shows are free.

On the mega ships, NCL uses two terminals in Miami boarding from both ends of the ship. The boarding process is fast and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

False - there is a massive pool bar, a bottle bar and often above the pool a drinks station. All provide drinks to have by the pool, if going in the pool or sitting around it they serve it in plastic. So when jumping in the hot tub, make sure your drink is in plastic.

False - the line differed depending how many April arrive at the same time. Miami port moves faster first thing and last thing. They can load so many at a time and have so many desks, just get in the right line and wait. I've been on epic 6 times and once I've had a long wait in Barcelona, made the mistake of arriving later than normal. We try to get there about 10-10.30 and as it was nearer 12

I've been on 19 different ships and over 50 cruises and not noticed much difference between them. Have to say that epic being one of the bigger ships has much more entertainment to keep you occupied and that does create noise but not unbearable

The only uncharged is the cirque dinner as its classed as a specialty. All the others are included for free but book the main ones 90 days out on my ncl to ensure you have best choice of days to go.

My son is 24 and epic is his favourite ship, he's been on 3 times. He finds the things to do way better than Royal. There's the evening movies at the h20, outdoor party every night with a theme, bliss nightclub throws you out about 3am then osheehans is open until later. They advertise the meet for 18 upwards and find they make friends with others the same ages and gang out

I've answered above

Sent from my iPad using Forums