Update from the Oasis

Royal is not responsible for the hurricane. They're not responsible for people not bringing enough medication to cover the unexpected. They're already doing a hell of lot giving free credits / refunds / OBC where possible. They're a business and they're not going to give every penny back to the consumer.

Oh how I stand & applaud you!! So tired of all the complaining when folks don't think a 'minute' ahead of time then get the "I should gets" (yes, not proper English however i believe you get the message)

I am on the Oasis and have been extremely pleased with how things have been handled. Of course, I am speaking from my perspective. I have had free internet whenever I want it since yesterday, and have logged on multiple times today with no problem.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Another good thing to plan for. I always bring at least another 30 days of meds with me, just in case. Don't know if it's the ARMY(Ret) be prepared or I'm just older... OP, thanks for follow-up that you weren't upset about being charged, just sticker shock. It's Ironic that the $147 is what my Dr office charges for a visit when I refill my meds every 3 months. The amount must be an industry average rate...

I always take as much extra as I can, but some meds can't be refilled more than 30 days, for various reasons. I can't refill my prescriptions until a few days before my last refill expires. On my last cruise I wasn't able to refill before boarding because it wasn't time yet, luckily my doctor could give me some samples to take with me as extra just in case. And I picked up my refill hours after getting off the ship so that I could hold on to the extras for next time.

. Honestly, I don't believe the cruise ship is doing very much for us. Of course, they are keeping us safe and that is the most important. And there's plenty of food.

Every passenger at this point likely has to occur a variety of additional expenses. M

How many meals would you have had to pay for had you not been on the ship? You are only looking at what you have to pay. How about what you would have been spending at home - even it was just your food? But add electricity, gas for your car, water, laundry expense for towels and sheets at home, etc. Just look at what you've been given. Not counting they are doing the cooking, serving, and cleaning for you.

$147 consultation. Great service Royal, way to take care of people in need. What a freaking shame. I can't even put into words how disappointed I've been with Royals' handling of these 2 hurricanes. It's radically adjusting my perception of them.

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many meals would you have had to pay for had you not been on the ship? You are only looking at what you have to pay. How about what you would have been spending at home - even it was just your food? But add electricity, gas for your car, water, laundry expense for towels and sheets at home, etc. Just look at what you've been given. Not counting they are doing the cooking, serving, and cleaning for you.

Wow you are clueless. Some people are just cruise line apologists.

Are you on board?

Couldn't renew after 3 sessions.

M

Yes. Have been renewing since the option became available- probably 20 times so far.

The options have just changed again. Both Surf and Stream are listed at 50% off (the 24 hr rate) and now the free 60 minute package is listed last.

Edited by Biker19

I always take as much extra as I can, but some meds can't be refilled more than 30 days, for various reasons. I can't refill my prescriptions until a few days before my last refill expires. On my last cruise I wasn't able to refill before boarding because it wasn't time yet, luckily my doctor could give me some samples to take with me as extra just in case. And I picked up my refill hours after getting off the ship so that I could hold on to the extras for next time.

Understand. I'm also on only fill every 30 days, controlled meds. After 10 yrs I'm fortunate to accumulate extra 6 weeks worth. See your point that others also could be in...

The fact that the cruise lines choose to sell cruises during hurricane season in an active hurricane area confers a certain amount of responsibility and risk ownership on their part.

Hurricane season is 6 months long.

The Caribbean is a very popular destination.

Statistically, very few cruise are affected by hurricanes.

The climate is changing. Going forward, perhaps EVERYONE will buy travel insurance.

I've read a lot of posts the last couple of weeks that lead me to believe that travel insurance is key in these situations, but it won't help you until you get stuck somewhere, unless you get a very good cancel for any reason coverage (by which I mean option to invoke at last minute and 100% cash reimbursement). A lot of posters seem to think that it would allow someone to simply cancel their cruise when a hurricane is forecast, but that's not a covered reason under normal coverage on most policies. It will however help with the costs incurred in being delayed either in port or on the ship, and any additional costs required to get you home if your plans get derailed. Which is probably when you need it most, let's face it! I hope more people get it too from now on.

The climate is changing. Going forward, perhaps EVERYONE will buy travel insurance.

That pretty much sums it up.

Ive believe that the doctors onboard are independent contractors and can work on different cruise lines. So maybe the $147 charge is what the doctor is charging to see a patient? I guess this is why for US citizens, our healthcare insurance is not accepted on the ship. Again, always a good idea to get travel insurance for unexpected cases like these.

As far as medications, one does not need a prescription in Mexico. So hopefully guests can get the meds they need there. Most of the time the meds are way cheaper abroad than in the US, which kind of makes you think about how much we are over charged, but that is a whole different topic. lol!

A number of cruises are affected by hurricanes each year.

The difference this time is that the embarkation ports are affected. This is only the 2nd hurricane since 2005 to reach Florida.

Usually when there is a hurricane affecting cruises, the home port is not affected and the itinerary is adjusted to avoid the storm.

No reason not to plan to cruise in the six-month hurricane season as it rarely affects the Florida home ports.

Ive believe that the doctors onboard are independent contractors and can work on different cruise lines. So maybe the $147 charge is what the doctor is charging to see a patient? I guess this is why for US citizens, our healthcare insurance is not accepted on the ship. Again, always a good idea to get travel insurance for unexpected cases like these.

As far as medications, one does not need a prescription in Mexico. So hopefully guests can get the meds they need there. Most of the time the meds are way cheaper abroad than in the US, which kind of makes you think about how much we are over charged, but that is a whole different topic. lol!

We have found that if you have a decent medical plan, prescription drugs are more expensive in Mexico. If no insurance or a bare bones one, it's cheaper in Mexico. True, some pharmacys there will sell you meds without a prescription, be careful bringing them across the border though, especially the narcotic ones. Mexico is not the place you want to be incarcerated. Eyeglasses are cheaper there. Dental is way cheaper there. I go to a local dentist for check ups, cleaning, etc but to Algodonnes for the major work. Three years ago I had 3 root canals, pins, and crowns done for $750 total. I expected to get some flak from the local guy but he said the work was first class.

Currently on the ship in Cozumel and departing in a few minutes, was supposed to sail two days for Orlando on Tuesday but captain just announced that we're leaving tonight for Costa Maya. Plan is to stay there tomorrow's then two days sailing back to Orlando.

They've raised the price of internet and those who were told it would be extended at no charge learned today that's no longer the case. Half price laundry and drink packages though for those who drink.

The captain announced earlier that the medical staff would "assist with getting meds" but after waiting 1.5 hours to ask if they had metformin I learned there's a $147 charge for consultation then $ for the meds. I'll see if I can locate any on my own tomorrow but doubtful since its a Sunday.

While I appreciate the extra days I'm concerned about a lack of airport and really wish we could port somewhere in the states to get a decent priced flight instead of the $2,000 each from Mexico. :(

How did you "learn" About the consultation fee? Someone in line or from staff?

Royal is not responsible for the hurricane. They're not responsible for people not bringing enough medication to cover the unexpected. They're already doing a hell of lot giving free credits / refunds / OBC where possible. They're a business and they're not going to give every penny back to the consumer.

Totally agree. With meds you take twice as much as you'll need. At least!

"People like me" :)

The UK T&C clearly state the following:

5.10 WHAT ABOUT CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH ARE OUTSIDE YOUR CONTROL?

Except where we specifically say otherwise in these terms and conditions, we cannot accept any liability or pay any compensation where your holiday and/or any other services we have promised to arrange or provide cannot be provided at all,or as promised or you otherwise suffer any damage or loss (as more fully described in clause 5.7 above) as a result ofcircumstances which are outside our control (‘force

majeure’). When we talk about circumstances which are outside our control,we mean any event which we or the supplier of the service in question could not have predicted or avoided even after taking allreasonable care. Such events are likely to include war or threat of war, acts of terrorists or threats of such acts, riots or civil unrest, industrial action, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, health risks, epidemics, mechanicaldifficulties (which we could not have anticipated or avoided despite our normal comprehensive mechanic

al checks) and allsimilar circumstances which are outside our control

I'm sure the US T&C are similar.

Like it or not, these are the T&C you agree to when you book a sailing. All cruise lines will have similar in their contracts. They're already going above their T&C offering credits. The phrase being banded around a lot at the moment is "They should do the right thing". In who's opinion exactly? The consumer is always going to want it to go their way. If these people had travel insurance / medical insurance then the $147 would be covered by that (if the policy covers it). If they don't, who's fault is that ?

People want something for free when it suits them. This is the real world. Companies have things in place at all stages to stop giving away free stuff.

They're offering a full credit for 12 months I believe? I refuse to believe someone cannot find a week sometime in the next 12 months to use this credit in.

Agree

Agree

Credits are bunk. Royal should offer price protection. Prices have risen dramatically past couple of years. What someone may have paid in 2016 for a 2017 cruise may not be possible to pay agai, so the only way to use a credit is to spend more on top of it. The person you agree with found space in another thread to castigate someone asking a C&A question during the storm, but in here has enough time to hair split the terms and conditions. Don't be bamboozled by corporate defenders

Credits are bunk. Royal should offer price protection. Prices have risen dramatically past couple of years. What someone may have paid in 2016 for a 2017 cruise may not be possible to pay agai, so the only way to use a credit is to spend more on top of it. The person you agree with found space in another thread to castigate someone asking a C&A question during the storm, but in here has enough time to hair split the terms and conditions. Don't be bamboozled by corporate defenders

Again, that's your opinion. It would be nice of them, but it's not happening.

. The person you agree with found space in another thread to castigate someone asking a C&A question during the storm, but in here has enough time to hair split the terms and conditions. Don't be bamboozled by corporate defenders

The person asked that question on a forum of non-RCI employees when they were on the ship. Wouldn't they be better asking staff on the ship

The fact that the cruise lines choose to sell cruises during hurricane season in an active hurricane area confers a certain amount of responsibility and risk ownership on their part.

Rediculous point. What should they do? Only sail their multi-billion dollor fleet outside the US June - November each year ?

Thousands of people sail every week in most weeks of the year without issue