Increased drinks package prices ????

reemab1

Canned "sodas" have never been included in the AIBP. Only fountain. (That's why it didn't work on Princess Cays, other than booze.)

Are you sure:confused:. Last year on the CB, I got a Sprite Zero at dinner each night and was not charged for it.....

Bob

Copied from Pricess Cruises FB Page. Just for Information. "In regards to the price increase on the new ‘Premier Beverage Package’, during our review of our package offerings and pricing, it was discovered that the Australian price published on our website and in our materials, had not been pegged to the actual rate of exchange of the Australian currency. As such the price published had remained stagnant for several years, while the rate of exchange continued to climb. Instead of marginal increases of the price over several years as the AUD strengthened, we now have a correction that appears sharper than normal due to the proper application of the current exchange rate. The new AUD price reflects the same price as the US dollar based package, it has just been converted into Australian Dollars at the current (correct) exchange rate.

The AUD daily amount also already includes the daily service charge, whereas the US dollar amount is often published without that built in.

Lastly, it is important to note that even with the F/X correction, Princess is highly favorable in AUD pricing as compared to other Australian based lines, such as P&O Australia. P&O prices their package at $105.00 AUD, and caps their menu price at $15.00 AUD, Princess is priced at $86.99 AUD and caps the menu price at $16.00 AUD.

At this stage, we have not been officially informed about any changes to our Happy Hour and Buy one Get one for $1.00 program.

Cheers

Bob...I completely agree with both of your posts!

Another thing that's infuriating affected passengers who got it (bought or with S+S) before 9/19 is the change in the terms & conditions. They purchased under one set of rules which are now changing with many are posting it's bait & switch. Apparently the T&C changes are "legal" but it's creating a considerable amount of ill will & anger towards Princess. And their gibberish about doing it to benefit passengers is an insult to our intelligence.

Along with the phone call answer to my email in regards to this yesterday. Calling me to simply tell me you have brought the package into industry standards does ABSOLUTELY nothing to answer why I purchased one product back in August and you went and changed it completely a month after I purchased it. It actually did nothing more than make me more disgusted that I was called with gibberish about industry standards. And further pointing out how I used to only be able to purchase wines under $100 and now I can purchase wines over that with 25% as a huge benefit. I think I will be bringing my own wine on now rather than spend the money on Princess. I do feel like it was bait and switch and just can't get past the bad taste in my mouth. Why bother to call me at all?!!!

I have zero issues with the price increase. It would be up to me to decide if the new package is something that I want to buy. But selling me one thing and then actually giving me something so different may be legal but it's not ethical.

Time for me to start working my loyalty program at other cruise lines in the future after my next Princess sailing that final payment was made on.

Does anyone know if instead of taking the drink package you took the OBC if the OBC increased then too? I know I am reaching! But it would make sense.

Yes, that is reaching.....I don't think it would make sense..with past sip& sale promos you already decided to take the OBC that was offered..so your choice should have no refection on what is happening with those of us that have the S&S.

However, for future promos only time will tell...quite frankly I think we might be seeing more limitations on S&S promos and would not be surprised if they were eliminated totally. JMHO

Cheers....

Edited by land lover

Along with the phone call answer to my email in regards to this yesterday. Calling me to simply tell me you have brought the package into industry standards does ABSOLUTELY nothing to answer why I purchased one product back in August and you went and changed it completely a month after I purchased it. It actually did nothing more than make me more disgusted that I was called with gibberish about industry standards. And further pointing out how I used to only be able to purchase wines under $100 and now I can purchase wines over that with 25% as a huge benefit. I think I will be bringing my own wine on now rather than spend the money on Princess. I do feel like it was bait and switch and just can't get past the bad taste in my mouth. Why bother to call me at all?!!!

I have zero issues with the price increase. It would be up to me to decide if the new package is something that I want to buy. But selling me one thing and then actually giving me something so different may be legal but it's not ethical.

Time for me to start working my loyalty program at other cruise lines in the future after my next Princess sailing that final payment was made on.

Thanks for the update which unfortunately provided you with nothing new beyond their marketing gibberish that it was for your benefit. It's doubtful that the rep actually believed the company rhetoric which they are required to repeat word for word. Upper management make changes & lower level employees get to repeat the company line to upset passengers.

I opted for the OBC so the changes don't affect me but the changes in the T&C after purchasing have certainly lowered my opinions about Princess providing as stated. As you said, bait & switch tactics always leave a bad taste in my mouth. :(

Thanks for the update which unfortunately provided you with nothing new beyond their marketing gibberish that it was for your benefit. It's doubtful that the rep actually believed the company rhetoric which they are required to repeat word for word. Upper management make changes & lower level employees get to repeat the company line to upset passengers.

I opted for the OBC so the changes don't affect me but the changes in the T&C after purchasing have certainly lowered my opinions about Princess providing as stated. As you said, bait & switch tactics always leave a bad taste in my mouth. :(

The rep also said that everyone gets in the benefits of the new package. Those of us who actually paid for it like me (not sip and sale) and those who got the package via sip and sale. It doesn’t matter whether you booked the promotion during 2016 for a 2017 or 2017 for a 2018 sailing.

What would happen in this situation do you think.

I buy 2 drinks packages one for my wife and one for myself

Each package is entitled to 15 drinks per 24 hours, 30 in total.

If she drinks 10, am within my rights to drink the other 5 she didn't drink, especially if they are willing to let me buy drinks over the bar at full price?

If she drinks 10, am within my rights to drink the other 5 she didn't drink, especially if they are willing to let me buy drinks over the bar at full price?

This would be considered sharing and would likely get you busted. They will take away the packages and charge you full price for every drink.

No sharing so no.

This would be considered sharing and would likely get you busted. They will take away the packages and charge you full price for every drink.

Its not like I've only bought 1 drinks package and giving my partner free drinks. I've paid for 30 drinks per 24 hour period and as long as Im not drunk and if bar staff are willing to sell me alcohol, I cant see why I shouldn't be entitled to those other 5 drinks.

Why dont they just say here are your 15 drinks for the day for $86.99 AUD. Sure share them among your family and friends but once they're gone that's bad luck until the next day. 2 packages gets you 30 drinks and so on.

............................... And further pointing out how I used to only be able to purchase wines under $100 and now I can purchase wines over that with 25% as a huge benefit. I think I will be bringing my own wine on now rather than spend the money on Princess. ...................................... But selling me one thing and then actually giving me something so different may be legal but it's not ethical.

The AIBP was never for me, but I sympathize with you on the situation. The wine offering is a joke. There aren't all that many bottles over $100 (still wines) and the number of people ordering those will be quite minimal. The 40% discount was very generous IMO (still not enough for me to buy AIBP), so the 25% seems poor in comparison. But still not too shabby. Maybe 30% or 33.333% would have been a better first step.

But seems to me as goodwill, they ought to have grandfathered the 40% (or even 30%) for those that pre-purchased the package before the announcement.

Its not like I've only bought 1 drinks package and giving my partner free drinks. I've paid for 30 drinks per 24 hour period and as long as Im not drunk and if bar staff are willing to sell me alcohol, I cant see why I shouldn't be entitled to those other 5 drinks.

Why dont they just say here are your 15 drinks for the day for $86.99 AUD. Sure share them among your family and friends but once they're gone that's bad luck until the next day. 2 packages gets you 30 drinks and so on.

Really what you are asking for is an unlimited alcohol option to the new package and you are willing to pay double for it. I have seen other posters suggest they ought to have an AIBP "Lite" version at a lower cost that provides for less drinks per day. This makes some logical sense to me and perhaps they might consider it after they see how things go with the change.

My only concern is what might happen with an unlimited package, but the cost will manage the numbers. As to your suggestion, I don't believe any human being will not be drunk after consuming 30 alcoholic drinks - allowing for sleep that is almost 2 per waking hour (before passing out) each day. And you really have to double-down on port days unless don't leave the ship. I don't understand why anyone would want to do that to their body in the first place (not trying to judge, but 30 drinks a day for 7 or 10 days running is craziness IMO).

I tell you what please do this right in front of the bartender and see what happens - I am willing to be that if you do it obviously more than once you will be busted for sharing. Also when they run their bar analysis and she the your partner drinks vodka and every late night she switches to bourbon and will be questioning you.

Are you sure:confused:. Last year on the CB, I got a Sprite Zero at dinner each night and was not charged for it.....

Bob

Us too, last two times with the AIBP, we each got canned cokes & Diet Cokes each night at dinner. In fact they were waiting for us on the table when we got there.

Bob

Waiters have a certain amount of leeway in the progression of dinner. If you get a deal, go with it. I think this is especially true when you do wine by the glass on a beverage card.

I'm also concerned about how good they are at monitoring the swipes. My wife and I both make use of the AIBP. During a cruise we find that on the first day or so, if we both order a drink, both cards would be swiped and after that, the bar staff would get to know you and only take one card and swipe it (the really good ones remember the folio number and don't need to swipe). I'm now worried that come dinner time, I'll be all out of swipes and my wife's card hasn't been touched at all :)

I'm also concerned about how good they are at monitoring the swipes. My wife and I both make use of the AIBP. During a cruise we find that on the first day or so, if we both order a drink, both cards would be swiped and after that, the bar staff would get to know you and only take one card and swipe it (the really good ones remember the folio number and don't need to swipe). I'm now worried that come dinner time, I'll be all out of swipes and my wife's card hasn't been touched at all :)

That’s an excellent point— might be a good one to raise on the HAL or carnival board (same Parent company and they have had the 15 drink limits already).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just saw a post of FB that Norwegian sent out. It's raising its drink pkg to $89 per day plus 18% gratuity.

works out to $105 a day

Princess still looks cheap.

Interesting that Norwegian still has a drinks package for purchase for US customers. In Europe (or the UK at least) they are now doing "All-Inclusive" pricing. The headline price you pay includes drinks package and pre-paid gratuities.

NCL charges gratuities on their "free" packages. imo, they have raised prices to charge more on those "freebies". The occasional drinker has no good value on NCL. If you are a heavy drinker, increasing the prices won't bother you much since most are on the "free" packages.

I haven't written NCL off entirely, but if I do go on them again, I plan on doing most of my drinking OFF the ship!!! Provided Princess doesn't get greedy, I still plan on doing most of my drinking ON the ship for the time being, so long as the value is there.

In either case, packages don't work for us. Dh can't drink, and paying for 2 packages, even as a "freebie", isn't worth the $$$.