PUerto Rico -- Virgin Islands......no cruise ships....

sail7seas

I'm all for everyone donating to those they feel most comfortable with. No matter what organization that is.

That said, I just want to share another perspective: though some orgs have admin and overhead, that allows them to set up an infrastructure that is international, wide spread, very highly detailed, and organized to be able to take in vast donations and to reach those in peril quickly. With out the large scale org (and associated costs), they would not be able to respond as swiftly and with as much sophisticated, organized aid.

I really hope my intention here is felt; I'm not attempting an agument. I know all who donate are doing so with a pure heart and all help is appreciated from all sources. <3

You are so right, choose whichever organization one wishes and send offf a contribution. These island and other locations that are suffer ingneed help so badly.

You are so right, choose whichever organization one wishes and send offf a contribution. These island and other locations that are suffer ingneed help so badly.

This.

We can't let ourselves get paralyzed by choice on this. It is too important. Just donate to whatever organization meets your criteria and encourage others to donate wherever they choose.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Our denomination has a bgr arm that funnels donations to the missionaries already there. They live there and know the culture and how best to use money to help both short term in disaster relief and long term with clean water, food, and job training type needs.

The missionaries are already there, so they don't have to use funds for airfare or per diems for hotels and food. Most of the money given reaches the people it was intended to help.

When we donate online we can specify what projects it goes to. I know missionaries who spend part of their time doing work through this system and it has become our most trusted place to donate.

Our denomination has a bgr arm that funnels donations to the missionaries already there. They live there and know the culture and how best to use money to help both short term in disaster relief and long term with clean water, food, and job training type needs.

The missionaries are already there, so they don't have to use funds for airfare or per diems for hotels and food. Most of the money given reaches the people it was intended to help.

When we donate online we can specify what projects it goes to. I know missionaries who spend part of their time doing work through this system and it has become our most trusted place to donate.

Your denominattion has a bgr arm............. ? Huh (could yo please translate. bgr arm? denomination? Are you saying this is a specific relgious grouping?

I have been in several stores since the hurricanes. at each register as I check out iwith whatever my purchases, the clerk has asked if I want to thro gh that store to huricande fund. I HATE that. It seems somewhat slippery to me. i expect some months from now, , wr'll be hearing, , goood for: Name the store ---------------------- they donated $2 million to hurricane fund. N o, they didn't,,,,,,,,,,, Their customers did. These stores possibly (likely?) take credit for the check they eventually turn over to the charities. Seems a little less than honest to me. It is awkward to decline as it is not the fault of the person at the registter, they are doing what they are told to do and work for that store. I feel so stingy to say no but no reason I need to explain I will (have) privately made a donation.) Despite others in the line looking mean faces at me, I decline to the clerk at the register. I don't care for their method.to seek good publicity in this way. I am sure it is not olly the stores where I was this week. Must be lots doing that? However, in what ever way they collect all this money, IF they do indeed turn it over to the charities that can hellp the mmost, the end result is benefi cial andthe rest really doesn't mattter. What matters is getting help to all these suffering people.

If posters would not think everyone knows every obscure abbreviation., it would be great. Some of us do not want to make reading a cruise inernet forum a research project . Fine if someone likes researching in ordder to read and uundersstand a post. SOOO many abbreviations. Why would people think everyone knows their very specific abbeviations? :) I will stay with asking what it means. No one need answer if they do not wish.

Edited by sail7seas

Are people really giving you dirty looks in line? That seems very strange to me. I don't choose to use the checkout line method of donating to hurricane/earthquake relief. I have been asked several times lately and I just say, "no, thank you" and have never had anyone respond negatively.

I have been in several stores since the hurricanes. at each register as I check out iwith whatever my purchases, the clerk has asked if I want to thro gh that store to huricande fund. I HATE that. It seems somewhat slippery to me. i expect some months from now, , wr'll be hearing, , goood for: Name the store ---------------------- they donated $2 million to hurricane fund. N o, they didn't,,,,,,,,,,, Their customers did. These stores possibly (likely?) take credit for the check they eventually turn over to the charities. Seems a little less than honest to me. It is awkward to decline as it is not the fault of the person at the registter, they are doing what they are told to do and work for that store. I feel so stingy to say no but no reason I need to explain I will (have) privately made a donation.) Despite others in the line looking mean faces at me, I decline to the clerk at the register. I don't care for their method.to seek good publicity in this way. I am sure it is not olly the stores where I was this week. Must be lots doing that? However, in what ever way they collect all this money, IF they do indeed turn it over to the charities that can hellp the mmost, the end result is benefi cial andthe rest really doesn't mattter. What matters is getting help to all these suffering people.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

This may sound ridiculous, but wouldn't it be wonderful if the United States had cruise type ships dedicated to hurricane relief? It could be a ship with no frills. Just thousands of cabins, places to eat, a hospital, a place for pets. These relief ships could house thousands of displaced people providing shelter, food, water, communication, and air conditioning, etc. for the time needed. People could be airlifted or tendered onto the relief ships. I know this would be costly, but in the humanitarian spirit, I think it would be worthwhile.

This may sound ridiculous, but wouldn't it be wonderful if the United States had cruise type ships dedicated to hurricane relief? It could be a ship with no frills. Just thousands of cabins, places to eat, a hospital, a place for pets. These relief ships could house thousands of displaced people providing shelter, food, water, communication, and air conditioning, etc. for the time needed. People could be airlifted or tendered onto the relief ships. I know this would be costly, but in the humanitarian spirit, I think it would be worthwhile.

This year has been particularly bad for hurricanes, but even so, a ship dedicated to that kind of relief is not practical. It's a lot of money to put into something that would be used one or two months out of a year, and not always that. I think it's wonderful that cruise lines that have to cancel cruises due to hurricanes use those empty ships to move supplies to damaged areas and help people get out. They're losing money due to the cancellations, and then they're spending money to sail the ship.

This year has been particularly bad for hurricanes, but even so, a ship dedicated to that kind of relief is not practical. It's a lot of money to put into something that would be used one or two months out of a year, and not always that. I think it's wonderful that cruise lines that have to cancel cruises due to hurricanes use those empty ships to move supplies to damaged areas and help people get out. They're losing money due to the cancellations, and then they're spending money to sail the ship.

Unfortunately, profit will always win out over long-term relief in terms of offering up ships. The closest thing we have is the USNS Comfort. It is a Naval Hospital ship. It could do some good - giving a place for those who are sick or will get sick in the coming weeks as hepatitis, typhoid, possible cholera and tetanus and other nasty diseases come up as people have to wallow in stagnant, sewage-laden waters or walk on the beaches contaminated with surge runoff containing sewage and garbage.

As an FYI - on Prinsendam's Holiday sailing HAL has already altered the itinerary to substitute St. Croix for Tortola. It is good news to us since it implies that St. Croix will be expecting to be ready to receive guests by then.

My heart goes out to all of those who have lost so much in this year's storms.

Actually, there is a cruise ship being taken out of commission for several months. It will be housing the relief workers. FEMA has chartered an additional one to house and help from what I have read.

Were the ships identified?

They were but the one that was going there was not a name I was familiar with so, sorry, I don't remember it. The one that Fema has chartered is Grand Celebration (to house the National Guard). It is a former Carnival ship from what I recall and now a Bahamas cruise line ship, I believe.

Just to remind those who may not remember our posting guidelines, here's the section that discusses solicitations to contribute to local charities:

Charitable Organizations in Ports of Call

We've always been so proud of our Cruise Critic members who unselfishly pack goodies, supplies and yes...even send money...to organizations located in various ports of call around the world. We applaud your efforts and hope you continue to do so on an individual basis.

However, judging by the number of e-mails we have received over the years, as well as a few heartbreaking incidents that have diminished our trust in some of these organizations, it is clear that many of you are also concerned regarding the validity of some of these projects. We are aware that many are now posting on the forums in order to obtain donations. Additionally, there is an undercurrent of competitiveness with regard to these agencies, which many of you are displeased with.

Therefore, since Cruise Critic has no control over the validity of the information, we do not allow organizations to "ask" our members for donations through the forums. Additionally, posts from members offering to "collect" items or money to bring with them on the cruise will be removed from the forums.

All posts/discussions soliciting donations or the bringing/passing out of supplies/donations are not allowed and will be removed from the boards, thus allowing our members to continuing discussing visiting these ports, and finding interesting and fun shore excursion information. Repeated violations will result in suspension of posting privileges.

As always, thank you for exhibiting the kindness and generosity toward those less fortunate than us in ports of call.

The above applies to all forums on Cruise Critic, including our ROLL CALLS.

Your denominattion has a bgr arm............. ? Huh (could yo please translate. bgr arm? denomination? Are you saying this is a specific relgious grouping?

This year has been particularly bad for hurricanes, but even so, a ship dedicated to that kind of relief is not practical. It's a lot of money to put into something that would be used one or two months out of a year, and not always that. I think it's wonderful that cruise lines that have to cancel cruises due to hurricanes use those empty ships to move supplies to damaged areas and help people get out. They're losing money due to the cancellations, and then they're spending money to sail the ship.[/qu

This year has been particularly bad for hurricanes, but even so, a ship dedicated to that kind of relief is not practical. It's a lot of money to put into something that would be used one or two months out of a year, and not always that. I think it's wonderful that cruise lines that have to cancel cruises due to hurricanes use those empty ships to move supplies to damaged areas and help people get out. They're losing money due to the cancellations, and then they're spending money to sail the ship.[/qu

Cruise ships are helping not just in evacuations but relief help. Please see post 86 & 90 above.

Several cruise ship offered to evacuate their passengers to leave and carried on and delivered food stuffs,batteries, water, food, etc.

It pays to follow the news. While, the help that some islands need is beyond comprension the ships have helped.

Edited by kazu

Quoting myself, "This may sound ridiculous, BUT"

I understand this probably will never happen. I just have such empathy for those living without air condition, water, food, communication, etc. etc. etc. that I am willing to put out there what just MAY be ridiculous. I have a feeling much more money has been wasted/spent on things that have nothing to do with humanitarian relief nor is nearly as important imho. I'm just trying to put myself in their misery and thinking of a ship as a floating life sustainer. Hopefully, you and I all understand how expensive this would be and how little it would be used, but if it were possible, wouldn't it make you feel better about the lives that have been so terribly affected? That's all I'm saying.....

Just received an email this morning from a cruise booking company, it included a list of the ports still closed:

"Hurricane Maria followed in the wake of Hurricane Irma, which tore through the Caribbean a few weeks ago. Due to the destruction left behind by both storms, cruise ports currently are closed in Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Barts, St. Maarten, Dominica, Turks & Caicos, Tortola and Barbuda."

That is a lot of destruction!

There are many hurricane seasons that pass with no major storms impacting the islands, so having a ship prepared for hurricane relief and then just sitting there for 2 or 3 years is certainly not practical, or economically sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are many hurricane seasons that pass with no major storms impacting the islands, so having a ship prepared for hurricane relief and then just sitting there for 2 or 3 years is certainly not practical, or economically sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely trrue. there are a number of years when tthere was little or no significant hurricane damage to islands. It should be easy to research tthatt if one is interested. This wasa horererendous hurricane season and it is not yet over. The watertwempeerartre is coooling whic h is good as hurrricanes grow in warm water. Many will breath a sigh of relief when this hurrcane season ends.

HAL is supposed to update their affected port list on Thursday or Friday. I just received an unsolicited cancellation from the San Juan Ritz-Carlton regarding our stay in January. RC corporate said they'd had no contact with the property since Maria, but assumed the property was somehow generating the cancellations.

It took several days to wire money to the family we chose to help in PR. Banks are closed. Western Union just got their system up in San Juan this weekend, but locations had lines like for gas and they kept running out of cash. We take so much for granted.

HAL is supposed to update their affected port list on Thursday or Friday. I just received an unsolicited cancellation from the San Juan Ritz-Carlton regarding our stay in January. RC corporate said they'd had no contact with the property since Maria, but assumed the property was somehow generating the cancellations.

It took several days to wire money to the family we chose to help in PR. Banks are closed. Western Union just got their system up in San Juan this weekend, but locations had lines like for gas and they kept running out of cash. We take so much for granted.

I agree. We love the Ritz in Isla Verde and have stayed there several times for vacations. Our son got married there. It is heartbreaking to read about the distress and loss on the island.

I agree. We love the Ritz in Isla Verde and have stayed there several times for vacations. Our son got married there. It is heartbreaking to read about the distress and loss on the island.

W also love The r Ritz in Isla Veder thouugh it amazed me they built thatbeautiful hotel, on the beac h and only the large suites had bakconies. I kept looking around the building when I realized mos rooms, thouugh very verynice did not have a balcony. why build a luxury hotel in topical climate on the bedach witth so few bvalconies? :D SERVICE there is over the top amazing. I sneezed out att the pool oneitme, Bigg Deal, righ t? :D The pool guy ran over witrha box of kleenex. after that, DH was afraid I'd never leave and make thatt place my new permanent home. :) I think I s till mostly prefer Four Seasons over many Ritz Hotels but not in Motreal. I don't love Four seasons in Montrreal but I do reallym reallyt like that Ritz.