PUerto Rico -- Virgin Islands......no cruise ships....

sail7seas

Bev, such massive loss everywhere I wonder how they can all be attended to on all these islands...not to mention Florida and Houston. Tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very hard to get calls through. They still have no power on the whole island but for privately owned generators.. Frriends have been uunable to reach family that live in Puerto Rico

I don't think that is what Volk meant by "the big picture." It was my understanding that the big picture was intended to be the big cruise picture. In other words, it is not simply a matter of what additional ports may be substituted but whether those ports can accommodate the ships.

Obviously no one is glossing over the fact that these islands have been devastated and their people left homeless.

I am sure that is what Volk meant by " the big picture".

Innlady1 did not as she made that quite clear.

For me, the "big picture" is the loss of life, homes, conveniences we take for granted like water, electricity, plumbing, etc.

And, I also fear for Mexico.

They are all suffering, lives lost, etc. That, for me is the "big picture".

the cruise ships will sort thing out in due time. Let's be grateful we can cruise, have our health and the basic amenities of life that these islands, Mexico, some Caribbean, the U.S. do not.

Yes, for me, the devastation, the destruction, the loss of life is the big picture. Not if a cruise ship can stop. I know some will be disappointed but the big picture is far more than that.

but of course, that's JMVHO.

I have friends that live on the island, and they drove to their office which usually takes 15 minutes. They said it took over two hours to get there. They had to avoid downed trees, debris in the road, power poles, and had to even drive on the wrong side of the road and on off the road. She said that they were grateful they had a jeep. They did say that the VA hospital there is up and running, and they had enough supplies to last a month. Some patients that are critical may be moved to Miami though.

I am sure that is what Volk meant by " the big picture".

Innlady1 did not as she made that quite clear.

For me, the "big picture" is the loss of life, homes, conveniences we take for granted like water, electricity, plumbing, etc.

And, I also fear for Mexico.

They are all suffering, lives lost, etc. That, for me is the "big picture".

the cruise ships will sort thing out in due time. Let's be grateful we can cruise, have our health and the basic amenities of life that these islands, Mexico, some Caribbean, the U.S. do not.

Yes, for me, the devastation, the destruction, the loss of life is the big picture. Not if a cruise ship can stop. I know some will be disappointed but the big picture is far more than that.

but of course, that's JMVHO.

Exactly, kazu. The "big picture" means something different to each of us. Glad we're in the same camp, so to speak.

I also have some friends in Puerto Rico that are sending their elderly parents to live in the states with other family members. They said that even with a generator and some cooling from the limited fans, it is just too brutal for the elderly if there are other options. We here in Florida, after the horrible deaths at the nursing home, ten in all I believe, understand just how harsh that humid and hot weather can be on the elderly.

I also have some friends in Puerto Rico that are sending their elderly parents to live in the states with other family members. They said that even with a generator and some cooling from the limited fans, it is just too brutal for the elderly if there are other options. We here in Florida, after the horrible deaths at the nursing home, ten in all I believe, understand just how harsh that humid and hot weather can be on the elderly.

That was such a tragedy...the deaths at the nursing home. Good that your friends can do that for their parents.

How wonderful that they got help.

God bless your friends <3

Many are not in that position or cannot find their relatives.

It's just all so sad.

I have a friend who lives in Puerto Rico. We met through CC on line, but then met in person in NYC. She posted after the first storm that her family was OK. They have a cement shelter and a generator. We haven't heard anything from them after this last storm and are really worried.

Indeed, that heat and humidity can be deadly forrelderly and folks with breathing problems.

How will sh e get her parents out of Puerto Rico to the states until commercial air starts to schedule flights?

We have 2 weeks on the Veendam December 8. We'll go wherever she goes and feel lucky to be cruising. We sent money to help with Puerto Rico. Helping all the islands is a monumental task and needs everyone's support.

Do your research and send what you can. Every dollar will help.

just a thought from someone who has lived through total destruction of F5 tornado (lost home, business and church) and lived through CAT 3 hurricane (again with much loss) ....I suggest the following: YES by all means do the cash donations and don't send clothes and other items that have to be sorted and divided and lay in piles for months never getting to the right people. There is not enough help or proper storage or delivery modes to get exact sizes of clothes or products sent to right place at the right time. However cash contributions to legit agencies can quickly get products to specific communities as needed. Again, make sure it is a legit organization as there are many upstart cons that have great names that set up after these events. Prayers to all these people

Sail I not sure when they will send them to the mainland. I'm not sure if they will have to wait for commercial flights or can take one of the military planes back with the airlifting of critical patients. It's such a tragedy. I'm so glad that I was able to see some of the islands in March. My heart goes out to all those in the hurricanes path, be it in the islands or here in the states.

Can we just state that a Senate report in 2016 indicated that over 25% of money donated to the Red Cross for Haiti earthquake victims went for administrative expenses?

That was my point. Wouldn't most of us think ( HOPE) donations made to Red Cross were going to a repuutable charity? But, maybe not? So much money was donated to various agencies for the people in Dominican Republic/ Haiti after the earthquake but there is litttle evidence what good was done with all that money.

Sail I not sure when they will send them to the mainland. I'm not sure if they will have to wait for commercial flights or can take one of the military planes back with the airlifting of critical patients. It's such a tragedy. I'm so glad that I was able to see some of the islands in March. My heart goes out to all those in the hurricanes path, be it in the islands or here in the states.

Hopefully, safe transportration will be avaialble for tthem ASAP. So many g ood people tryingg so hard t o help so many. So much aid is needed. Most of us who have been welcomed to these islands by t he good people there likely feel a need to do whaf we can to help.

just a thought from someone who has lived through total destruction of F5 tornado (lost home, business and church) and lived through CAT 3 hurricane (again with much loss) ....I suggest the following: YES by all means do the cash donations and don't send clothes and other items that have to be sorted and divided and lay in piles for months never getting to the right people. There is not enough help or proper storage or delivery modes to get exact sizes of clothes or products sent to right place at the right time. However cash contributions to legit agencies can quickly get products to specific communities as needed. Again, make sure it is a legit organization as there are many upstart cons that have great names that set up after these events. Prayers to all these people

Wow, you must be "tenacious of life" as Rochester says to Jane Eyre.

Storage is an issue people don't think about when they want to donate food. I remember a story from Irma, not sure where it was. As soon as he had power, a man who owned a warehouse made it available it to assistance organizations for storage.

Money is the easiest to give and the easiest for charities to use immediately.

My father and father-in-law, both army vets, s

My father was a WWII U.S. Army Vet. My DH was a Viet Nam combat U.S. Army Vet I am proud of his service . We were newlyweds.

Once he came home, he never had much good to say intterms of RC but he did with respect to Salvation Army That stuck with me a ll these years.

My Father...a Californian...once told me always donate to the Salvation Army....and it has stayed with me....apparently he had some experience as a young man up near the Russian River in Northern California with flooding and the Salvation Army vs the Red Cross...

We use to volunteer to ring the bell at Christmas time at the local grocery store in our small community...always heartening to see people giving...and to see parents teaching their children to give.

Can we just state that a Senate report in 2016 indicated that over 25% of money donated to the Red Cross for Haiti earthquake victims went for administrative expenses?

I'm all for everyone donating to those they feel most comfortable with. No matter what organization that is.

That said, I just want to share another perspective: though some orgs have admin and overhead, that allows them to set up an infrastructure that is international, wide spread, very highly detailed, and organized to be able to take in vast donations and to reach those in peril quickly. With out the large scale org (and associated costs), they would not be able to respond as swiftly and with as much sophisticated, organized aid.

I really hope my intention here is felt; I'm not attempting an agument. I know all who donate are doing so with a pure heart and all help is appreciated from all sources. <3