PUerto Rico -- Virgin Islands......no cruise ships....

sail7seas

That is so true. Cash donations, not donations of "stuff". The purchasing power of the various rescue and relief agencies is much greater than the the average citizen's purchasing power.

One only needs to spend a few minutes of Googling to find relief agencies working in these areas, both formal and grass-roots, and another few minutes of due diligence to satisfy oneself about how reliable the agencies are.

Please share what you learned while doing all thatrersearch. and due diligence. don't think most of us intend to write a thesis on the sudbject. but seeing you have suggested serious research ,:) Please share the high lights. of all that due diligence. Thanks. :) Personally, I am most interested about on the ground and hands on work being done by varrious western countries. Money is needed and welcome but but is so easy.. What is hared i s being there in the rough conditions and when human need is so greaat. Cash does not put an immediate meal in their mouths or medical care at the moment. I have no iddea what aspects interest others.

Edited by sail7seas

Saw and followed this link to USA Today.com, which has an in depth (IMO) listing of the Caribbean Islands Open and Closed:

"Is your Caribbean cruise destination still open? A port-by-port look after Irma, Maria"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/21/your-caribbean-cruise-destination-still-open-port-by-port-look-after-irma-maria/685467001/

Hubby now has to start searching, just in case, for stuff to do in December. He still has not heard anything from HAL.

It is my hope that all of the islands are able to come back from the devastation quickly. Though I know that many of them have little funding to cover what needs to be done.

Joanie

Please share what you learned while doing all thatrersearch. and due diligence. don't think most of us intend to write a thesis on the sudbject. but seeing you have suggested serious research ,:) Please share the high lights. of all that due diligence. Thanks. :) Personally, I am most interested about on tghe ground e and hands on work being done by varrious westtern countries.

I wouldn't say that I've done "due diligence," but I have heard on the news and read in the newspaper that at this stage, money is the best donation. And it does make sense. With so much infrastructure damaged, local (meaning to us in the US) charities that collect "stuff" won't have a way to get it there. Better to give money to a charity you trust** that is able to purchase what's needed and get it there.

**I don't think we're supposed to recommend charities on these boards, but the point I want to make is that it's best to give to a charity that is well known and has a good track record. A sad and ugly side of "humanity" is that scam charities tend to show up after a disaster.

I agree for us, the averagwe citizens of whatever country, donations of cash are best at this poinnt but for countires, for relilef agencies,they are the ones whodig stranaded people out of flooded houses. Ttheya re the one who deliver millions of gallons of water. Whaat good does cash, at this pointt dr for a person in S n Juan who has not had a goo d drink of water , or has not eaten in days? Sure, moneyto rebuild later. ...........,But NOW, couunttires, militaries, professssional aid workers with food, water, and medical care now. The needs are so great but they are in stages.

Always make our contirugbtions to charities we know are trust worthy and avoid thoes that can be scamming. Who remembers the earthquake in Dominican Republic? Millions upon millions w ere ontributed but hoe miuch reached the people, how many houses were rebuilt, hew many wataer treatment plants that weerew to be rebuilt are in operation todday? t Thos wwere reputable charities, or were they? How much money wa s wasted ? ANd now, DR has been hit by hurricanes.,, Those poor prople nevve recovered from the earthquake.

Probably a lot of substitution of ports as others have stated. Thought about the Caribbean in Nov of 2018, but not so sure now. May go to Arizona/Utah that week in 2018 and wait a while. Will donate $$ for relief but don't know if I want to sail there for the next 18 months or so. Just my opinion. And I know those folks depend on tourism, and my heart breaks for them......however, it is a tough choice for those of us with a more limited travel budget.

I think some of you are missing the big picture. All of those Southern island are not set up for many ships line St. Thomas, StMartin and even San Juan are. Most of those ports can only handle 2 ships and even if you tendered in the port and the island is not set up to handle that many people.

Cruise lines are going to have to be very creative this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Contrary to what you may think, many of us fully understand the "big picture". The tremendous and devastating loss to these islands and their people. Everything they have is gone. Many will not recover. Ever. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrary to what you may think, many of us fully understand the "big picture". The tremendous and devastating loss to these islands and their people. Everything they have is gone. Many will not recover. Ever. [emoji22]

Thank you! I have been rather upset at all the "what happens to MY cruise" comments. I'm just worried sick about my former co-workers and friends from the St. Regis Bahia Beach and Ritz Carlton Dorado Beach and their families who work and live on Puerto Rico. And, I worry for my new-found friends at the W Vieques. My cruise and the possibility of having an all-sea cruise is nothing worth worrying about.

We are just spending the time on the board wondering what decisions HA are going to make with regards to the various cruises scheduled. I don't care what islands they choose. I am not complaining. I am having a conversation because the speculating is fun... It's kind of like wondering about the NFL draft and who is going to take what player.

I dont believe anyone here is being insensitive... its just a different discussion point/subject. I admit thoughout the discussion boards there are a lot of good ideas on how to help and i agree with most of them and I already have done a few and I am planning on doing a few more but we don't need to stop discussing a trip we are excited about because it 'appears' to be unseemly.

Just my 2 cents

I think it's hard for most of us to imagine the terrible loss all these people have suffered. No homes, no food, no power, no way to cook if they had a bit of food left, no furniture, no anything. I, myself, can't imagine what that must feel like.

We who are able to cruise are talking here about the Caribbean Islands since that is the topic. Sightly off topic, is the same devastation suffered in Texas and Florida.

My husband said he heard today that the Red Cross said they can not get money to some of these people as quickly as they had promised because they are overwhelmed because of so many storms.

Please consider very carefully where any monetary donations go. Some charities are notorious for paying their executives exorbitant salaries and redirecting donations for specific disasters into a general fund instead. Some entities, particularly sports leagues, make it very easy to donate to some big charities via text message. But it might be better to do a bit of research and donate to local charities in the affected areas instead.

Please consider very carefully where any monetary donations go. Some charities are notorious for paying their executives exorbitant salaries and redirecting donations for specific disasters into a general fund instead. Some entities, particularly sports leagues, make it very easy to donate to some big charities via text message. But it might be better to do a bit of research and donate to local charities in the affected areas instead.

You're right, it's shocking how much money is spent by some charities on "overhead" and how little gets to the intended recipients. Registered charities have to release information about how the money is used, and you can find out what their "score" is on a variety of websites. Unfortunately CC won't let us post urls. But I use a website that helps you Navigate your way through the complicated info on Charities. It's an eye opener!

I was very surprised that in the article mentioned in post #15, that RCI was expecting their sailings out of San Juan to start again next Wednesday. The area is devastated and much of the infrastructure is severely compromised. The cruise lines expect to have tourists flying in??? :confused::confused::confused:

You're right, it's shocking how much money is spent by some charities on "overhead" and how little gets to the intended recipients. Registered charities have to release information about how the money is used, and you can find out what their "score" is on a variety of websites. Unfortunately CC won't let us post urls. But I use a website that helps you Navigate your way through the complicated info on Charities. It's an eye opener!

So true. People, please be smart and do your research before donating. ❤️

Just found this on Holland America website

Questions & Answers

Updated September 20, 2017

Are there any Holland America Line ships in the Caribbean at the moment?

There are no Holland America Line ships in the Caribbean until mid-October.

Will cruises be cancelled?

We will not be cancelling any Caribbean cruises at this time.

Will my itinerary be changed?

Fortunately, most of the Caribbean ports of call we visit were unaffected by Hurricane Irma. We are closely monitoring continued hurricane activity that threatens several islands in the northeastern Caribbean. The Caribbean communities depend on tourism to support their economy and are working to be able to welcome our cruise guests in the upcoming season.

How will guests be notified of any changes?

If changes are necessary, guests will be notified either directly or through their travel professional; updates will also be posted on hollandamerica.com. If an itinerary is adjusted, we will make every effort to substitute similar ports of call. Guests facing an increase in cancellation fees between September 20th and 26th are encouraged to contact our Reservations Department for an extension in lieu of cancelling their Caribbean cruise to avoid fee increases while waiting for itinerary updates.

Guests are encouraged to go to hollandamerica.com to complete Online Check-In and visit My Account to ensure we have accurate contact information.

Will our insurance cover us if we cancel?

Each insurance policy is different, as a result guests should speak directly to their travel insurance provider.

What if I have booked EXC Tours™ in cancelled ports, will these be cancelled?

EXC Tours booked for a cancelled port of call will be automatically refunded back to the original form of payment. EXC Tours for our new ports of call will soon be available to book on our website.

How can I help?

As it requires infrastructure to receive and distribute supplies and the needs at the islands vary, the organizations responding to the crisis and rebuilding efforts are requesting monetary donations. Donations will be accepted onboard.

Can you please show this for me, I have never read it.

It is true that travel agent links cannot be posted, but lots of other links are posted on a daily basis.

Check out the guidelines - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines and scroll down to where the title is "Charitable Organizations in Ports of Call". Solicitation and naming is prohibited on any CC forum.

I believe this is what Kathy (whom you quoted) is referring to.

I too think that it will be a long time before St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and the other islands hit so hard will be receiving cruise ships. The port in San Juan is not open, and the priority will be to bring in food, water, generators and medical supplies. I have several friends in Puerto Rico, and several friends the have family still living in Puerto Rico, and they are only concerned with living day to day now. Hopefully, we can get in there with the needed supplies soon. Not every location on the island has had a chance to even be searched due to flooding and impassable roads. My heart and prayers go out to the people on the islands.

I too think that it will be a long time before St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and the other islands hit so hard will be receiving cruise ships. The port in San Juan is not open, and the priority will be to bring in food, water, generators and medical supplies. I have several friends in Puerto Rico, and several friends the have family still living in Puerto Rico, and they are only concerned with living day to day now. Hopefully, we can get in there with the needed supplies soon. Not every location on the island has had a chance to even be searched due to flooding and impassable roads. My heart and prayers go out to the people on the islands.

Bev, such massive loss everywhere I wonder how they can all be attended to on all these islands...not to mention Florida and Houston. Tragic.

IN 2011, HAL had a 7 day that did Aruba, Curacao and HMC. More days at sea than your typical 7 day cruise. I LOVED it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

We have done similar itinerary ffrom F LL roundtrip but they were 10 or 11 day cruises. Maybe they were called Seafarer and Way farer cruises?.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't think that is what Volk meant by "the big picture." It was my understanding that the big picture was intended to be the big cruise picture. In other words, it is not simply a matter of what additional ports may be substituted but whether those ports can accommodate the ships.

Obviously no one is glossing over the fact that these islands have been devastated and their people left homeless.

I was very surprised that in the article mentioned in post #15, that RCI was expecting their sailings out of San Juan to start again next Wednesday. The area is devastated and much of the infrastructure is severely compromised. The cruise lines expect to have tourists flying in??? :confused::confused::confused:

That article was published as of Thursday, and the hurricane's effects had not been fully discovered. The country has no power - anywhere, and they expect it to be months before power is fully restored. The article was just a little premature, to put it lightly.