NCL Cruise Service Charge Refund

bussub

We were on a ship tour once and the head chef, in front of the whole tour group, said something so rude to me, it made me want to go running to my cabin crying. You could see it in the other peoples faces that they were surprised by it also. One of them even said something to me. My husband and I tried to finish the tour with dignity, although it was quite hard. The next day I filled out one of the cards at the desk explaining what had happened. Almost immediately I got a call from the person in charge of the restaurants. He apologized beyond belief, gave us multiple free specialty dining coupons, and daily chocolate strawberries in our cabin (13 day cruise).

OMG! What was exactly did the head chef say to you that was rude? Which ship and sailing? Edited by drsel

That’s why we will assume the worst and remove the optional service charge and tip as we go.

Cheers!

And we all know about ASSumptions. Be sure to go down to the laundry and tip the workers there who you shorted by removing the DSC, as long as you "tip as we go".

I think they could solve a lot of this issue by being more clear of where these optional charge go. I winder why they don’t. Nevermind I think I know the answer.

The FAQ is very clear unless the reader keeps trying to read into it things that are not there. I don't "winder" about it at all. :eek:

And we all know about ASSumptions. Be sure to go down to the laundry and tip the workers there who you shorted by removing the DSC, as long as you "tip as we go".

No need to, they got tons of suckers willing to donate......But hey, thanks for subsidizing our cruise fare....gosh, we hardly even know you!

Cheers

When you stay someplace with no dsc do you go to the laundry and tip those workers to be sure they aren’t shorted?

But if you tip as you go, isn't your overall cost the same as those who pay the DSC?

Person A pays $2,000 plus $100 in DSC.

Person B pays $2,000, removes the DSC and gives $100 in cash tips.

Person C pays $2,000, removes the DSC, claims to tip cash but doesn't and saves $100.

Who is the worst?

Don’t know but at least we know the tips go directly to the people who serve us, not to the billion dollar company in the hopes it trickles down to them somehow.

The service has been excellent.

Don’t know but at least we know the tips go directly to the people who serve us, not to the billion dollar company in the hopes it trickles down to them somehow.

The service has been excellent.

I’ve got no side in this argument really, but it’s worth considering that this billion dollar company is the only reason that you, and the staff are there. They aren’t the evil empire, they are performing a service by providing the ships for us to sail on, and they offer the staff employment which they voluntarily chose to take.

When it comes down to it, NCL choose to offer these products, we choose to buy them and the staff choose to work for them. I don’t see the problem. I’ll just buy the product if the price works for me, and I assume that the deal that the staff accepted (which includes the DSC whatever that is to them) is acceptable to them.

What is actually going on behind the scenes is between the staff and NCL. None of my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave the dsc in place. My next cruise we are paying over $800 in gratuity on ubp and dining plus the DSC. that is all we will pay. No extra tips will be given. On a land based cruise I would never tip more than that for two weeks. Call me cheap if you wish but I feel I have already paid enough in tips.

Have done that once when had issues with 3 restaurant bookings on same cruise. Reservation was in place but there was an issue with specialty dining package not showing correctly and had to go back to cabin to pick the documentation and then to guest relations and back to restaurant again. On 3rd time was already pissed enough of having to do their job so made a small adjustment to the service charge. They give the form from Guest Relations, you can just simply write amount to be removed and reason for it. Then it will be adjusted on the onboard account.

From what I understand, they don't credit you onboard anymore. You have to fill out a form and they adjust the gratuities post-cruise back to the credit card you had listed.

I’ve got no side in this argument really, but it’s worth considering that this billion dollar company is the only reason that you, and the staff are there. They aren’t the evil empire, they are performing a service by providing the ships for us to sail on, and they offer the staff employment which they voluntarily chose to take.

When it comes down to it, NCL choose to offer these products, we choose to buy them and the staff choose to work for them. I don’t see the problem. I’ll just buy the product if the price works for me, and I assume that the deal that the staff accepted (which includes the DSC whatever that is to them) is acceptable to them.

What is actually going on behind the scenes is between the staff and NCL. None of my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly man, dont you know its all a conspiracy by "the man" and the evil companies ;)

I leave the dsc in place. My next cruise we are paying over $800 in gratuity on ubp and dining plus the DSC. that is all we will pay. No extra tips will be given. On a land based cruise I would never tip more than that for two weeks. Call me cheap if you wish but I feel I have already paid enough in tips.

This is how we have come to travel. Except for my previously mentioned need to remove the tips, we let them bill as we go for the gratuities, but rarely give any extra monies. (y)

• 3 weeks later...
NCL needs to wise up and do what they did in the UK, to stop all those passengers from removing the DSC, just include it in the fare. I remember reading a post some time back from a poster's whose child worked on NCL and was sailing out of the UK and was so disappointed that a huge majority of the passengers removed the DSC, even though they worked their butts off to please them.

they wont, because that will eat into their bottom line as the cruise price has to be competitive with other lines.

DSC's are such a joke. I tip, and well for very good service, but i always do this in cash.

not all positions are gratuity based positions, otherwise i'd expect a gratuity everytime someone speaks to me at my workplace.

Since the gratuities go towards the crews salary, if enough people remove them, then NCL will have no choice but to raise them, costing other passengers to pay more.

raise the dishonest DSC? the DSC in itself is a scam to the actual base rate of the cruise.

If NCL wants to raise their base rates to include the DSC in full and get rid of the DSC notion, im all for that, but they will never do that due to corporate greed and angling.

Can we still get a refund on the service charge if we did not get a form on the ship? Is there a email to contact NCL about service charge refund? Thanks so much.

Since the original posters question was answered.... 11 pages ago this thread should be close. To continue this thread it seems to become thread hijacking or off topic posting.... Both not allowed within the rules.

raise the dishonest DSC? the DSC in itself is a scam to the actual base rate of the cruise.

If NCL wants to raise their base rates to include the DSC in full and get rid of the DSC notion, im all for that, but they will never do that due to corporate greed and angling.

I'll bite! I'm against adding the DSC to the base rate because I've seen that happen at a resort we used to go to regularly. We were initially charged the room rate plus 18% (raised to 20%) "gratuity" on the entire room cost (MUCH more than DSC) and were told "no need to tip anyone, that 20% covers all tips other than extra-cost items like bar". Great!

Fast forward a few years. The 20% is still added and is now a "service charge" on top of the new $27.50/day resort fee--and on top of that it's taxed! So I asked if that still covers gratuities and was told "no it doesn't, and be sure to tip your waitstaff, etc".

Bottom line - the price has always included a non-optional "gratuity", but the resort has gotten so greedy they now keep the DSC/gratuity (stealing it from the staff IMHO) and recommend tipping on top of that. If NCL were to do the same thing (add DSC to fare) then I'm certain sooner or later we'd be back to envelopes on top of the fare+DSC.

Best compromise is to do what the resort has always done - before reserving, on the same screen where taxes and port charges are added (and grat for UBP/SDP), right then add the DSC but be clear that is what it is. No surprises then!

My TA conveniently "forgot" to tell us about DSC when we booked. We were quoted a non-DSC price and when I asked "any additional costs" was NOT told about it. Because I have a little experience I knew about it and specifically asked; I feel badly for newbies who are unaware and are surprised. THAT may be fertile ground for removing DSC - people who don't know about it and haven't budgeted for it.

I'll bite! I'm against adding the DSC to the base rate because I've seen that happen at a resort we used to go to regularly. We were initially charged the room rate plus 18% (raised to 20%) "gratuity" on the entire room cost (MUCH more than DSC) and were told "no need to tip anyone, that 20% covers all tips other than extra-cost items like bar". Great!

I think you are not considering a key factor here: If they add in the DSC into the base rate, their overall rate has to go down to compete with competition cruise lines -- otherwise people will vote with their feet (...or their wallets) and NCL will simply become noncompetitive. Corporate America will never allow that to happen.

I should also mention -- i'm already regretting booking with NCL based on several videos on the NCL bliss already. The concept of nickel / diming without providing added value/services to the customer is one of the reasons i boycotted NCL back in 2011, and I'm beginning to regret my decision to give them another chance in 2018.

THAT may be fertile ground for removing DSC - people who don't know about it and haven't budgeted for it.

Who doesn’t know they should be budgeting for tips?

Only people who have no business traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is as of 2017......

Carnival Cruise Line

Daily gratuity charge: $12.95

Note: Passengers in suites pay $13.95. No gratuities are collected for passengers under the age of 2. Company policy.

Additional charges: A 15% gratuity is added to bar bills.

Celebrity Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $14.50

Note: Passengers in Concierge Class and AquaClass cabins pay $15; passengers in suites, $18. Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills.

See also: Celebrity Cruises hikes service charge (again!)

Disney Cruise Line

Daily gratuity charge: $12

Note: Company policy.

Additional charges: A 15% gratuity is added to bar bills; an 18% charge is added to bills for spa services.

Holland America Line

Daily gratuity charge: $13.50

Note: Passengers in suites pay $15. Company policy.

See also: Holland America plans hefty hike to gratuity charges

MSC Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $12.50

Note: For Caribbean cruises and some grand voyages. Gratuity charges vary for MSC's other itineraries. Children pay half the adult rate.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Note: Passengers in suites pay $17.50. Passengers on the line's two all-inclusive ships, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun, pay higher rates ($19.99 for standard cabins; $22.99 for suites). Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills, the bills at extra-charge specialty restaurants and for services at ship spas.

See also: Norwegian joins Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean in hiking service charges

Princess Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $13.50

Notes: Passengers in mini-suites and suites pay $14.50 and $15.50, respectively. Company policy.

See also: Princess raises amount of suggested gratuities

Royal Caribbean

Note: Passengers staying in suites pay $17.50

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills as well as services at ship spas and salons. Company policy.

See also: Royal Caribbean hikes gratuity fees