NCL Cruise Service Charge Refund

bussub

We were on a ship tour once and the head chef, in front of the whole tour group, said something so rude to me, it made me want to go running to my cabin crying.

Now, we're all wondering what the chef said.

Yep, you're gonna have to spill it so that we can all debate and argue about whether we feel it was rude or justified, or what our own reactions would have been. It's a slow day.

Can you give me a better clue am on an iPhone? The flashing is totally distracting!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just realised you are from here! So will post what I was originally going to say!

It’s doing my head in....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can we still get a refund on the service charge if we did not get a form on the ship? Is there a email to contact NCL about service charge refund? Thanks so much.

Why are we still talking about a issue from last year. Seems like this thread should be closed.

Edited by Expat Cruise
Correction based upon date thread started

Surprisingly enough, I don't advocate for that. Personal experience - may have already posted it - DH and I used to love a resort in the Poconos. In addition to inflated room cost, there was an 18% (raised to 20% after a few years) autograt on the entire hotel bill, much more $$$$$ than DSC. That 20% was clearly called 'GRATUITY' and we were told at booking time no need to tip any more (other than $ drinks of course).

Fast forward several years - the 20% is still on the bill, as is a $27.50/day resort fee - but now it's a SERVICE CHARGE, NOT a gratuity, and it's taxed. I asked if this service charge was a tip, and was clearly told "Not a tip, and be sure to tip the dining room staff".

Moral - you do NOT want the DSC added to the base fare and made mandatory, because what will happen is soon or later a beancounter will get the idea that people expect to tip on cruises, so let's keep the DSC and go back to the envelopes!!

No let's not go back to the envelopes. Let's simply keep it the way it is. There is no way you are going to get an entire industry to change the policy cause a few or maybe more than just a few do not like it. Things change, the industry has changed a lot over 30 plus years that we have been sailing. We need to learn to adjust to changes.

We need to learn to adjust to changes.

I see it as the companies give people a multitude of options to suit how they want to handle their business. People can do whatever they want. No one has to adjust to anything.

No let's not go back to the envelopes. Let's simply keep it the way it is. There is no way you are going to get an entire industry to change the policy cause a few or maybe more than just a few do not like it. Things change, the industry has changed a lot over 30 plus years that we have been sailing. We need to learn to adjust to changes.

Nita, I agree. My post was that I do NOT NOT NOT want the envelopes. The cruise industry has very successfully pushed the responsibility of paying much of the employees' salary onto pax, and added the guilt trip of "you can't un-tip a poor performer without hurting everyone else" very successfully. The DSC is almost mandatory and certainly viewed as an entitlement on CC. Adding it to the fare and taking away the myth that it is optional and can be adjusted invites NCL to keep it and push "extra tips" even harder, further increasing the cost.

Much as I HATE the whole DSC guilt trip and DSC removal shaming, I'm a realist. Better this way then going the route of our formerly-favorite getaway, which we've stopped visiting because of exactly that - taking what was once the equivalent of the DSC and keeping it for themselves, adding back the tipping expectation on guests. Why do I object? Because between that and the resort fee and (minimal) taxes, the cost of the stay is increased 50%. So I voted with my wallet.

Why don't people just mind their OWN business?

It is NO ONE'S business of who leaves the DSC/GRATUITIES/TIPS, (call it whatever you want)

in place, who adds to it, who adjusts it and who removes it.

Why are people so obsessed with what others do?

I hate to think what these busybody's lives are like at home ;-(

Edited by 1AL

It is NO ONE'S business of who leaves the DSC/GRATUITIES/TIPS, (call it whatever you want)

Like!

I'll tell you why. Many people like to know what everyone is doing so that they can follow the crowd and do likewise.

Probably because other's post what they do (adjust or remove). If one doesn't want someone to comment about what they do, then don't post it on a public forum.

Since the gratuities go towards the crews salary, if enough people remove them, then NCL will have no choice but to raise them, costing other passengers to pay more.

it becomes everyones business when you post it on a public forum, If you don't want to have anyone in your business don't post comments you know are going to get a response and no one will even know whether you tip or do not

Ain't it interesting that the ones on these forums who are usually first to dip their noses in other people's business are the first ones to respond to try to justify why they make it their business to know other people's business! :-( :-(

SeaShark v. Maya1234. LOL! Will we need popcorn? Haven't had it for a while. I know who I am betting on.

We were on a ship tour once and the head chef, in front of the whole tour group, said something so rude to me, it made me want to go running to my cabin crying. You could see it in the other peoples faces that they were surprised by it also. One of them even said something to me. My husband and I tried to finish the tour with dignity, although it was quite hard. The next day I filled out one of the cards at the desk explaining what had happened. Almost immediately I got a call from the person in charge of the restaurants. He apologized beyond belief, gave us multiple free specialty dining coupons, and daily chocolate strawberries in our cabin (13 day cruise). Never once did we think about reducing or removing the service charge. It's just not what we do.

Nothing MADE you anything. You CHOSE to react that way.