What to do when RCI changes your confirmed cabin without asking you

Dory56

I am travelling with a friend on Explorer of the Seas on 29 October to the South Pacific. We booked 2 inter-connecting balcony cabins single occupancy, so not cheap, over 6 months ago. We booked through Cruise Sale Finders over 6 months ago and have paid in full and got written confirmation of our stateroom numbers. However, when doing our on-line stuff on RCI website a few weeks ago my travelling noticed travelling companion noticed he had been moved to another cabin on level 6. We had booked le level 7 interconnecting.

We went back to Cruise Sale Finders who have now got back to us saying they asked RCI to see if people who had been subsequently allocated my friend's confirmed cabin would move. RCI has told Cruise Sale Finders that the people said they didn't want to move. I am furious as RCI did not have to courtesy to ask us before they moved my friend from his confirmed cabin.

Do you have any advice as to what we can do? If what Cruise Sale Finders is telling us is true, RCI is just flipping the finger at us and telling us "tough - take it or leave it. - we don't care what you booked and paid for." I am an RCI Diamond member and and extremely disappointed with what RCI has done and just don't know what to do.

I am travelling with a friend on Explorer of the Seas on 29 October to the South Pacific. We booked 2 inter-connecting balcony cabins single occupancy, so not cheap, over 6 months ago. We booked through Cruise Sale Finders over 6 months ago and have paid in full and got written confirmation of our stateroom numbers. However, when doing our on-line stuff on RCI website a few weeks ago my travelling noticed travelling companion noticed he had been moved to another cabin on level 6. We had booked le level 7 interconnecting.

We went back to Cruise Sale Finders who have now got back to us saying they asked RCI to see if people who had been subsequently allocated my friend's confirmed cabin would move. RCI has told Cruise Sale Finders that the people said they didn't want to move. I am furious as RCI did not have to courtesy to ask us before they moved my friend from his confirmed cabin.

Do you have any advice as to what we can do? If what Cruise Sale Finders is telling us is true, RCI is just flipping the finger at us and telling us "tough - take it or leave it. - we don't care what you booked and paid for." I am an RCI Diamond member and and extremely disappointed with what RCI has done and just don't know what to do.

Ask for a three way call: You, your TA and RC. Perhaps you can get to the bottom of who REALLY is responsible for changing your cabin, and perhaps achieve a satisfactory remedy.

Ask for a three way call: You, your TA and RC. Perhaps you can get to the bottom of who REALLY is responsible for changing your cabin, and perhaps achieve a satisfactory remedy.

GREAT answer! I second that. For you Merion Mom, I just bought you this drink::tropical-drink:

Having cabin changed by cruise line has nothing to do with having travel agent or not

No, but if you have control of your booking you can deal directly with the cruiseline without having to first get a third party involved. Some TAs are better client advocates than others. For me, I'd rather fight on my own behalf, for others, no.

Having cabin changed by cruise line has nothing to do with having travel agent or not

Except when it was changed or not booked correctly by the travel agent and they blame it on Royal.

Many threads on the subject....

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

By any chance was your friend's cabin a cabin that would hold 3 - 4 passengers?

If so, that could be the possible reason for the cabin change if a passenger needed the 3-4 cabin occupancy and your friend had it as a solo.

If that is the case, you will not get the cabin back.

The cabin your friend was switched to should be a equal or higher balcony category as the one originally booked.

No, but if you have control of your booking you can deal directly with the cruiseline without having to first get a third party involved. Some TAs are better client advocates than others. For me, I'd rather fight on my own behalf, for others, no.

If you control your own booking then you being represented by a minimum wage cubicle dweller who owes their financial future to the cruise line and not you. Much better to have a multi million dollar TA behind you, as well as the ability to receive hundreds of dollars of perks..

When you fight on your own behalf, the only worry RCCL has is losing your business. When a TA who books hundreds of cruises on RCCL each year fights, they're worried about losing a lot of business. TAs also have resources that the public does not - sales reps.

When you fight on your own behalf, the only worry RCCL has is losing your business. When a TA who books hundreds of cruises on RCCL each year fights, they're worried about losing a lot of business. TAs also have resources that the public does not - sales reps.

Agree!

Had TA work for me twice when Celebrity once and Princess once screwed up. Once while on a Celebrity cruise, I emailed TA to fix a problem and then I when back to enjoying my cruise. Got an email next morning that it was fixed. I went to Customer relations desk to confirm and then back to my beer, shade, breeze and new found friends along with DW. :)

By any chance was your friend's cabin a cabin that would hold 3 - 4 passengers?

If so, that could be the possible reason for the cabin change if a passenger needed the 3-4 cabin occupancy and your friend had it as a solo.

If that is the case, you will not get the cabin back.

The cabin your friend was switched to should be a equal or higher balcony category as the one originally booked.

Was it by any chance a handicap accessible cabin? That would be a reason...but then they should change both of your cabins to be together as planned.

If you control your own booking then you being represented by a minimum wage cubicle dweller who owes their financial future to the cruise line and not you. Much better to have a multi million dollar TA behind you, as well as the ability to receive hundreds of dollars of perks..
I may start at the "cubicle dweller" but I keep going all the way to the top floor corner office if I need to.....

Don't see the "multi-million dollar" TA doing that for One customer.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

For every one of them, there is a reason to use them. All a personal choice.

I'd say more like two to one in favor of a TA. [emoji6]

Did the OP state it was the TA that played musical chairs with the cabins, or was it the Royal back office?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Then you will always pay more than you could have and will be fighting on your behalf with much less information than a TA has available. (no, not a TA, have never played one on TV and have no relatives who are.)

Nice explanation. [emoji2]

A good TA is a much better advocate. You'd be amazed at the doors they can open.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app