drinking package - each adult have to purchase it - allure january 7 2018

We are booked for November 11th on FOS, been holding off buying drink package in anticipation of a price drop (wishful thinking), I take full advantage of it while my husband breaks even or sometimes not quite. There it was in fine print when I tried to purchase, telling me all adults have to buy. I called RCL and asked for clarification, rep put me on hold for a zillion minutes, came back and told me this rule goes into effect January 1, 2018 and if I wanted package just for one, I would have to do it directly though them and not the website. Interesting how this isn't stated in the fine print!

Because they know human nature - they count on the fact that you will not take the time to call in for the exemption and simply buy two packages online.

Or if they are new cruisers they won't think anything about buying 2 packages because several cruise lines make all adults in a room buy the package if one does.

That and the fact that a very small % of the cruising public actually read cruise critic and would even know about the exemptions.

So true. Most of the cruisers will not know there are exceptions to RCI’s revised policy.

I hope for my friend there are exceptions, his wife doesn't drink. I've looked around the Royal site but haven't seen them listed anywhere. Guess this must be one of those secret menus everyone talks about like at In N Out Burger. Hope to hear from someone here who's actually successfully used an exception.

I would have to strongly disagree with you and say it is because the crew doesn't do an adequate job of charging the non-packaged guest. In the long run, it is going to effect the tip of the bartenders (negatively).

Seriously?

18% for each & every drink is extremely generous for two weeks. I guess my thoughts are that it takes away our option. If I receive great service I tend to even leave an extra cash tip. But when given slow service or service w/o a smile etc. they still get a generous tip. I can see this happening more & more now that most will have a alcohol pkg. $1800 for two people to drink is very close to the price of a balcony. It's pretty steep.

I'm going to shop our cruise w/ other lines adding the $1800 to see what we find.

On NCL you can get the drink package for "free" in the USA, but must pay the gratuities. Many complain this is nickle and diming. They give you a choice of other free deals such as 250 online minutes. For Platinum members they get 2 bottles of wine per cruise. For some 3 and 4 day cruises out of Miami the drink package is included in the cruise price. Looks like NCL is going for the drinkers.

Earlier this year on constellation in the theatre i watched a group of 6 people share around 2 seapass cards in order to use the drinks package on them .im certain the waitets were aware of the scam but did nothing.

Heck, the waiters SUPPORT it.

One evening in the MDR, I ordered a glass of wine on my beverage package. Waiter took my Sea Pass and told us, he would bring one glass right away, and a second glass for my SO a few minutes later.

We did not ask for this.

Earlier this year on constellation in the theatre i watched a group of 6 people share around 2 seapass cards in order to use the drinks package on them .im certain the waitets were aware of the scam but did nothing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Passengers "cheat" by getting around the rules and then boast about beating the system on social media including Cruise Critic and don't think that RCL is aware of it? Really, it's just a question of why the infractions were allowed to continue as long as they have.

Passengers "cheat" by getting around the rules and then boast about beating the system on social media including Cruise Critic and don't think that RCL is aware of it? Really, it's just a question of why the infractions were allowed to continue as long as they have.

It wouldn't be shocked if they start flagging people that ask for an exception for watching their account much closer.

This is the result of the dishonest cheaters that try to share their package to save a buck. :mad::mad:

I would have to strongly disagree with you and say it is because the crew doesn't do an adequate job of charging the non-packaged guest. In the long run, it is going to effect the tip of the bartenders (negatively).

I think you're both right. When this experiment was first announced we asked the bar staff on one cruise whether sharing was that bad. They told us it goes on all the time. They said most servers won't confront anyone because they're afraid the passenger will make up a complaint against them. We were a little surprised how adamant they were that it occurs so frequently.

What is the latest you can buy a drink package? And is it pro rated?

You pay per day, and if you buy it onboard, you pay for the remainder of the trip. Usually with 4 days left is that latest, but that may change sailing to sailing and ship to ship.

If you were asking about purchasing pre-cruise, it gets cut off 48 hours in advance I believe.

Well I hope they flag those that don't get it and if they get 1 drink then they get charged for the package. Then the cheaters will for sure learn a lesson.

So suppose you have, or meet, some friends on the ship and you are sitting around one night and you decide to by that friend(s) a drink?

So suppose you have, or meet, some friends on the ship and you are sitting around one night and you decide to by that friend(s) a drink?
By all means buy that friend a drink but make the waiter/bartender aware and ask them to charge it and do not use your drinks package.in my opinion one reason drinks packages have become popular withe the cruise companys is they cut down on papework and labour therefore cutting costs .there is obviously profit in the prices of the packages.begs the question why the drinks prices were so inflated in the first place.

By all means buy that friend a drink but make the waiter/bartender aware and ask them to charge it and do not use your drinks package.in my opinion one reason drinks packages have become popular withe the cruise companys is they cut down on papework and labour therefore cutting costs .there is obviously profit in the prices of the packages.begs the question why the drinks prices were so inflated in the first place.

The person I quoted was talking about people who don't buy the package on the grounds that they don't drink. He wants their accounts flagged so that if they do buy a drink they get flogged and thrown over the side.

The person I quoted was talking about people who don't buy the package on the grounds that they don't drink. He wants their accounts flagged so that if they do buy a drink they get flogged and thrown over the side.

This is how I read their post.

That you must buy a drink package to have even one drink on a cruise.

HUH???? Why should you not be able to BUY a drink?

And how to you know if someone that is not on a package, is drinking a drink obtained by someone with a package? Run around checking every person with a drink whether they have a package or not, then double checking if they paid for the drink.

Oh, BTW you can take drinks out of the lounges, so a non-package person, might still have a drink that they did not "pay" for.

You seem to be proving my point for me. You keep trying to say this can't be about sharing because it is to increase profits. Profits come from the difference between costs and income. Whether you decrease the rate of theft (lowers costs due to theft and gets people to either buy a package or pay for their drinks, or just smuggle their own drinks on), or get more income (more package and/or drink purchases) you are still increasing profits, which is the point. Covering both of these things in one step just helps increase profits further.

I don't care what other people do on their vacation, I am not the drink police, and don't monitor other people, but since you are the one claiming there is no way this can have anything to do with sharing, why don't you provide the stats to back up your assertion?

In the end, I don't care, even though this effects me, it is what it is. I don't get stressed out about it. My wife and I will either buy a package if it makes sense, or not. We can make the choice for ourselves.

Cool story bro,

This is how I read their post.

That you must buy a drink package to have even one drink on a cruise.

HUH???? Why should you not be able to BUY a drink?

And how to you know if someone that is not on a package, is drinking a drink obtained by someone with a package? Run around checking every person with a drink whether they have a package or not, then double checking if they paid for the drink.

Oh, BTW you can take drinks out of the lounges, so a non-package person, might still have a drink that they did not "pay" for.

I think I was the one that originated this portion, and was completely about if you call in for an exception, so only one gets the package, then I could see them flagging the one with the package for extra scrutiny- ie if you get a drink, then get another a minute later at another bar to hand to somebody else.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

272 of next year's cruises include a "free" deluxe drinks package (this is the current UK deal) so the all adults must take it rule is irrelevant then.

However the price of those cruises now seem much higher than those from competitors. And I guess that means all adults do have to purchase the package after all!