appetizers at capt.'s party

I'm another one who doesn't bother to go to the Captain's Circle Parties, to the Elite Lounge events or the sparkling wine pyramid. I'll buy my own drinks if I want them, and that cheap wine is horrible!

30 years ago, the Captain's Circle events were fun. Once, on Celebrity, the party was held in the wheelhouse (there were only about a dozen of us) and the Captain took the helm from one of the people on watch and actually turned it over to my wife! Now, the parties aren't worth the time.

We just finished the 10/21 Regal Canada cruise where we won Elite for the cruise during the 1st time Princess cruiser meeting. We had other plans for the Captain's Circle Party but I thought it mentioned appetizers. The Elite cocktail party we went to the first night had a nice selection of appetizers (cheeses, veggie tray, bread sticks - I think there was even a shrimp bowl). There were reduced price specialty drinks, but I don't recall any free drinks. The other evenings didn't work with our schedule but I thought it was nicely done the night we did attend.

Our roll call meet and greet/meet and mingle had the carafes of bar snacks - I don't think anyone was eating them. Several of the crew showed up including the Captain and they were all very personable and receptive to questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many other seasoned Princess cruisers on here, we don't bother going anymore to the Captains Circle Cocktail parties, always a bun fight, hundreds of pax trying to grab a watery drink and a very ordinary savory thing.:rolleyes: Rather have a nice quiet drink on the balcony or in one of the bars/lounges.:halo:

We never go to the parties now. All that queueing to get in and trying to find a seat - we just go and have a quiet drink in a bar [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just finished 10 days on the Regal when we never bothered to go to any lf the Elite cocktail hours (they were too early for our taste) or other Captain's Clubs events. DW mentioned to me that we have not done any of the stuff for many cruises :(. One evening, we were walking by the Vista Lounge when they were having a party for frequent cruisers (we had an invitation in our pocket) when we noticed that there were about 100 folks lines up in a long queue...waiting to get into the lounge (and rub elbows with some of the hired help) for a free drink. DW's immediately comment was "lets go to Crooners and get a decent Martini and enjoy the piano player/singer :)"

Guess the years have made me crass because we can no longer get excited about most of these events. Sitting in a huge lounge, with lousy pre made drinks...waiting to hear the usual Captain's talk....is no longer our priority. We do understand that some folks love this stuff, and we say God bless them because it means other venues will be less crowded.

Hank

Red wine is my beverage of choice at the cocktail parties. I've always been able to get a couple of glasses. One of our tablemates on our last cruise had more than a couple glasses of wine plus ordered a liqueur. The waiters were very efficient on that cruise.

At one of the past parties, I mentioned on my live thread that I did not see them serving any canapés. Someone else at the same party said they had. Apparently the waiters were not efficient in making it around the room with them. No big loss for me.

During our 14-night cruise to Norway, we decided to fall victim to yet another gathering to recognize our loyalty to Princess. Far too many repeaters, multiple "parties" and oh, the line to enter the lounge began a solid half hour before the scheduled event. Eventually we got to smile and shake hands with the officers, found a seat and looked around to find a beverage server. The offerings were marginal: bubble juice [Princess champagne], wine and some fruit drinks. We politely requested a cosmo and a chairman of the board and were told no special requests. I pointed out a couple adjacent to us having snifters of brandy and the server shrugged his shoulders and walked away. There was another server who walked by us with a tray of what looked like dough-balls and small pieces of bread with garnish. Not very appetizing. DH and I looked at each other, got up and left the event, reminding each other to avoid these "parties" on all future cruises.

We have stopped at the Elite Lounge during our cruises. At one time the variety and quality of appetizers were very good. However, we have seen the decline during the past few years, so I stop by the Horizon Court to pick up a few things to absorb the alcohol and then we head to Elite Lounge. The change is beverages eliminating our preferred drinks helped me cross yet another loyalty event from my cruise agenda.

Personally, I would like a coupon for a free drink in place of this gathering.

Darcy

“Personally, I would like a coupon for a free drink in place of this gathering.”

Darcy

Our last couple of Regal New Yrs cruises have been just that...as you go in, you’re handed a drink coupon to redeem at any time later, so no drinks were offered at all at the event. As non-drinkers, we went only to collect the coupons for friends and walked out immediately thereafter.

I guess we got jaded when, about 4 Regal cruises ago, my husband and I got all dressed up to go, only to find out it was in the Princess Theatre (maybe there were too many Platinums that cruise?) and most people were in shorts,etc. It was basically a promo for future sales with the captain quickly giving up the mic to the Captain’s Circle hostess. My poor husband...put on a dark suit and tie for the ‘event’ (he’d just made platinum that voyage!)

Red wine is my beverage of choice at the cocktail parties. I've always been able to get a couple of glasses. One of our tablemates on our last cruise had more than a couple glasses of wine plus ordered a liqueur. The waiters were very efficient on that cruise.

At one of the past parties, I mentioned on my live thread that I did not see them serving any canapés. Someone else at the same party said they had. Apparently the waiters were not efficient in making it around the room with them. No big loss for me.

You would qualify as a cheap date :). That wine is cheap boxed wine (probably cost Princess the equivalent of $2 per bottle. IMHO Charles Shaw Cabernet (better known as 2 buck Chuck) is far superior.

Hank