What cruise was the best one ever and why would you recommend it to other cruise critic fans?

cruiserlove

Looking for some expert opinions for that not to be missed cruise. Did you love Alaska? Was it the eastern med? Was it a river cruise? We’ve done a few Caribbean itineraries on rcl and celebrity but looking for some advice on bucket list ideas...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have more then one.

The Northwest Passage. Very few people have sailed there and the nature and landscape is beautiful and it was a terrific learning experience.

The Middle East but back in 2010 when we spent close to 30 days with visits that included but went beyond the normal itinerary as it included Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait City, along with several ports in UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Israel and a few other places. It was important for us to see places such as the first three mentioned through our own eyes.

Antarctica. Sailing off that area was like sailing in a place in another galaxy or maybe like being in heaven. Very surreal and very beautiful.

I really don't like to list the best ever because there are so many places that are so very interesting and for different reasons.

Keith

Any votes for Europe?

Absolutely. My all time favorite cruise embarked in Venice (with an overnight) and debarked in Barcelona. Along the way, we visited Dubrovnik, Argostoli, Corfu, Santorini, Messina, Rome, Naples and Livorno.

And yes, I would certainly consider this a "bucket list" cruise because we don't know how much longer cruise ships are going to be able to sail out of Venice. It's the most beautiful sail-away I've ever seen.

Absolutely. My all time favorite cruise embarked in Venice (with an overnight) and debarked in Barcelona. Along the way, we visited Dubrovnik, Argostoli, Corfu, Santorini, Messina, Rome, Naples and Livorno.

And yes, I would certainly consider this a "bucket list" cruise because we don't know how much longer cruise ships are going to be able to sail out of Venice. It's the most beautiful sail-away I've ever seen.

Why is Venice a question for sailing out?

Our best ever was out of Venice also.

We spent 2 days in London and then 2 days in Venice pre-cruise.

We then jumped on the Rhapsody of the Seas for 11 days to Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens and Kusadasi, Turkey.

If you paid just any attention in high school (even the slightest) and think back to remember Greek Mythology, Homer's Odyssey, The Illiad, or you remember the biblical ancient city of Ephesus,,,, this was an amazing cruise.

To stand, sit, and walk in the same steps as some of the worlds most historical figures was an experience I'll never forget.

I'll admit, as an American, I was intimidate at first with the foods and the language barriers.

Foods. First of all I figure that the locals have been eating this for thousands of years and they're still kicking. So, must not be all bad. Second, WTH, try it out. You won't find an Olive Garden in Venice. The food was amazing. Must try an Octopus Salad. Think Chicken Ceasar Salad, but with Octopus. Different? Yes, but very good.

Language barrier. I downloaded Google Translate and even memorized some basic greetings. Google Translate even works with your phones camera. You can wave it over a menu or newspaper, and it translates for you live.

For the most part on the ship though, everyone from around the world defaulted to English when in a multicultural environment.

One of the best nights was being up on the Lido deck and the ship was showing the live Euro Cup Soccer Final.

It was like being at our Superbowl. That was a wild event.

Get outside your comfort zone and experience the world.

I have taken so many great cruises and it is so hard to pick "the best", but here are a few that stand out (not in any particular order):

1. Black Sea (Azamara Journey 2013) - Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, and Bulgaria.

2. Greece (Azamara Quest 2011) - Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, Kos

3. Alaska (Legend of the Seas 1997, Radiance of the Seas 2001)

4. South America (Celebrity Infinity 2005) - Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil (3 days in Rio for Carnival!)

Still on the "to do" list ... Galapagos, Norway, Dalmation Coast, Europe River Cruise, Iceland, Thailand.

I couldn't narrow it down to just 1 great cruise.

One we liked included land and cruise. We started in Istanbul and did the entire middle east including Egypt and many other ports that are no longer offered.

But I will mention one you talked about -- Alaska. HAL offers a 14 day cruise that includes Kodiak, Homer and Anchorage which other cruise lines do not offer.

Most picturesque cruises were to southern Caribbeans. Any cruises which include St Lucia, Barbados, Dominica and similar islands.

Another cruise we absolutely loved was on Princess from Southampton to Bruges, Copenhagen, Helsinborg, Oslo.

Most picturesque cruises were to southern Caribbeans. Any cruises which include St Lucia, Barbados, Dominica and similar islands.

Another cruise we absolutely loved was on Princess from Southampton to Bruges, Copenhagen, Helsinborg, Oslo.

Yes! The southern Caribbean (aka St. Somewhere)!!! That is our favorite itinerary and is one that is reasonably priced and don't have to take too much time from work to do. This is our favorite because we love the beauty of all of these islands, in addition to seeing the other islands we don't stop at as we sail past. There is also so much to see and do for all ranges of interests. We've done this itinerary (out of San Juan to St. Thomas; Barbados; St. Lucia; St. Kitts; St. Maarten) twice recently but would love to go again, since there is still so much that we'd like to see/do.

With 50 some cruises, I have a number of them, but will onlypost about two of them.

The first one was my cruise to Antarctica with Abercrombie and Kent. It was back in the early 90’s on an expedition ship (years later the ship actually sunk in Antarticia). It was so awesome to be able to take zodiacs off the ship and do landings on some of the areas where there were thousands of penguins, elephant seals, etc. We were also fortunate enough to be able to go to Palmer Research Station, because we were dropping off a new staff member; these folks were so warm and welcoming. We were able to swim in the Arctic Ocean, which many of us did. I would recommend this trip to anyone wanting to go to Antarctica and would say, don’t go by a regular cruise line, but go on an expedition cruise.

My second would be my cruise down 2,010 miles of the Amazon. Not only were we able meet some amazing folks who lived on the river, we saw the most fantastic wildlife. Again it was an expedition cruise, not on anormal cruise line.

These were two trips of a lifetime!

One week on the Mekong Princess with Abercrombie and Kent. We had the forward balcony suite on a 24 passenger vessel. Amazing tiny Vietnamese and Cambodian villages with gourmet cuisine. We went to floating food markets and met a former Viet Cong colonel. We saw amazing Buddhist temples and women making baskets in their home for IKEA.

Second would be a 13 day transatlantic (no stops) on the 300 passenger sailing boat Windsurf with a full crew and only 33 guests.