Beverage Package

Cooperpoo

I have a theory. There are a group of posters who are trying to diminish the value of CruiseCritic by discouraging people from posting and trying to shunt people over to HAL customer service. (This happens on other boards as well.) I think the end game is to discourage participation by endlessly quoting the CC guidelines and telling people to call the cruise lines.

Just for the heck of it, I called HAL and asked them two questions: (1) What wines are included on the Signature Beverage Package and Elite Beverage Package? (2) Which tequilas are covered by the Signature Beverage Package.

I had to put on my shocked face when they told me that I would have to wait until I board the ship to find out the answers to both questions, because that information isn't available.

I removed my shocked face, wiped off the perspiration, and placed it back in my drawer.

Therein lies the problem. KK gave an answer that's probably right in 90%+ of cases because it addressed the Signature Beverage Package - bar far the most common "beverage package" giveaway. If you wanted to be helpful, you could have posted a clarification, but that's not the road you went down.

There are some people on this site who selflessly try to help new HAL cruisers by answering their questions, and KK is one of them. I recall she was able to post a photo of an open balcony divider in response to someone's inquiry. Try to get that from the phone reps or the HAL website. There are also a lot of people who take photos of rooms, scan copies of menus, and post wine lists, specialty dinner lists and a whole host of information that you cannot easily - if at all - find on the cruise line sites. They do this because they want to help. Or, because they are trying to pay back the CruiseCritic community for helping them out when they were researching their own cruises.

BTW - Here is the wine list information. It's current as of summer, so there may be some changes. I my experience (as a wine drinker, not a professional purveyor of snark) if HAL swaps out a wine, they typically replace it with an equivalent selection at roughly the same price.

Not only are the wines listed, but I also compiled all the ratings I could find from my wine magazine subscriptions and other reliable sources. (The ratings are by wine professionals. I'm just a really enthusiastic amateur.)

The ratings scale:

95-100 Classic: a great wine

90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style

85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities

80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine

75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws

50-74 Not recommended

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS (Note: If you have the EBP, this is the only excluded wine by the glass on the MDR menu. There may be some other excluded wines in the specialty restaurants.)

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • Gruber-Rosh!tz Riesling (Spelled wrong to get around the naughty word filter) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthuisiast

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS
  • Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

=======

IIRC, Roger Jett (Crew News) is heading out on the Veendam shortly, which should give us updated lists. The information above is from his scans from the recently ended Alaska season, combined from info I compiled on the Eurodam last December. I added the wines that had changed or were new and removed the ones no longer carried.

If you like your wine and you happen to have the SBP as a promo, you'd be well-served to spend the money on an upgrade to the EBP. Just have a glass of Nicolas Feuillatte before dinner every night and you're ahead of the game.

======

Let's see...

1. On Topic? Check!
  2. Last Word? Check! (For the moment anyway.)
  3. Snarky? Nope. Needs a little something....

This should do.

stay-thirsty-201711.jpg

THANK YOU. :D

What a fabulous and honest post :D

Me too. Shall we start a fan club? LOL

And POA - I totally agree with your first paragraph.

I've been envious of POA1 ever since I learned he lives in the Port Everglades area. His knowledge of the HAL in's and out's has always been spot on as far as I'm concerned. A fan club works for me, I just hope no one accuses me of having a bro-mance with him! :o

Me too. Shall we start a fan club? LOL

And POA - I totally agree with your first paragraph.

I've been envious of POA1 ever since I learned he lives in the Port Everglades area. His knowledge of the HAL in's and out's has always been spot on as far as I'm concerned. A fan club works for me, I just hope no one accuses me of having a bro-mance with him! :o

Yay, a fan club. Can we have a dress code? :D :D:halo::halo:

POA1 and taxmantoo -- I have developed a huge crush on both of you. :hearteyes::hearteyes:

(Don't tell my DH ;) )

Me too! Love the theory, and appreciate the great advice about the wines! Thank you for meaningful posts that do adhere to guidelines 😀

CC has been an invaluable resource to me over the years and I am constantly appalled by the numerous derailments. I just want to say thanks to the posters who are so willing to share their experiences to help others. That I sent why I am here.

Me too! Love the theory, and appreciate the great advice about the wines! Thank you for meaningful posts that do adhere to guidelines [emoji3]

CC has been an invaluable resource to me over the years and I am constantly appalled by the numerous derailments. I just want to say thanks to the posters who are so willing to share their experiences to help others. That I sent why I am here.

Now I wish we had a like button.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all this information! I was wondering if anyone could explain how cocktails that aren't already listed on the menu work. For example, could I order an Old Fashioned with one of the bourbon's within the $9 range, or a martini with one of the gin or vodka selections included in the signature drink package?

Thanks for all this information! I was wondering if anyone could explain how cocktails that aren't already listed on the menu work. For example, could I order an Old Fashioned with one of the bourbon's within the $9 range, or a martini with one of the gin or vodka selections included in the signature drink package?

For the most part, if the base liquor is covered, you're fine. If you wanted a Maker's Mark Old Fashioned, it's covered because Maker's Mark is covered.

You can always ask the bartenders ahead of time if you prefer a particular brand in your cocktail. In my experience, they'll try to work with you.

Edited by POA1

I have a theory. There are a group of posters who are trying to diminish the value of CruiseCritic by discouraging people from posting and trying to shunt people over to HAL customer service. (This happens on other boards as well.) I think the end game is to discourage participation by endlessly quoting the CC guidelines and telling people to call the cruise lines.

I think you may be on to something, although I believe you have it exactly backward - no surprise there. My endgame is most certainly not to discourage participation in the Forums. However, it appears that some of the serial Posters on here are either intentionally or unwittingly serving that very objective when they attempt to bully anyone who offers an opinion that differs from the "group think" opinion. There are frequent (periodic) Posts from "newbies" asking why some Threads are so contentious and nasty. Additionally, the bullying issue has been mentioned in at least 2 CC Threads that raised the question about declining participation in Roll Calls and Meet & Greets and on CC in general. While being the object of cyber-bullying is of no concern to me, it has the effect of turning people away from participating in discussions on the CC HAL Forum

Likewise, it is not my objective to diminish the value of CC - to the contrary, by pointing out the CC Guideline advice to get confirmation of material that is posted on here, I am merely repeating the CC advice that not everything that's posted on CC can be taken as gospel and should be checked if the answer is important to the reader. But what I suspect rankles the serial posters is that they see my admonitions as a challenge to their primacy. And I understand that reaction, especially from those who lack the ability to give cogent answers and/or confuse opinions for facts.

I intend to continue participating in CC discussions, notwithstanding that you neither appreciate (in the dictionary meaning of that word) nor value my contributions. So please feel free to continue wasting your time impugning my Posts and me with your (almost) clever put-downs. Or just do yourselves a favor and block my Posts.

Smooth sailing :):):)

I think you may be on to something, although I believe you have it exactly backward - no surprise there. My endgame is most certainly not to discourage participation in the Forums. However, it appears that some of the serial Posters on here are either intentionally or unwittingly serving that very objective when they attempt to bully anyone who offers an opinion that differs from the "group think" opinion. There are frequent (periodic) Posts from "newbies" asking why some Threads are so contentious and nasty. Additionally, the bullying issue has been mentioned in at least 2 CC Threads that raised the question about declining participation in Roll Calls and Meet & Greets and on CC in general. While being the object of cyber-bullying is of no concern to me, it has the effect of turning people away from participating in discussions on the CC HAL Forum

Likewise, it is not my objective to diminish the value of CC - to the contrary, by pointing out the CC Guideline advice to get confirmation of material that is posted on here, I am merely repeating the CC advice that not everything that's posted on CC can be taken as gospel and should be checked if the answer is important to the reader. But what I suspect rankles the serial posters is that they see my admonitions as a challenge to their primacy. And I understand that reaction, especially from those who lack the ability to give cogent answers and/or confuse opinions for facts.

I intend to continue participating in CC discussions, notwithstanding that you neither appreciate (in the dictionary meaning of that word) nor value my contributions. So please feel free to continue wasting your time impugning my Posts and me with your (almost) clever put-downs. Or just do yourselves a favor and block my Posts.

Every time I see your posts it is MOST of the time negative. That’s fine people can read or not. Unfortunately I feel you are out of line especially with someone like POA1

Who always is a wealth of info!!! Knowledgeable and informative! A great writer and a music writer!!!!! You should hear his Christmas songs he writes👍

I guess as a dentist you would probably tell me how to do things. Sorry, but half the time you seem to want to start things.

How about just being nice for a change hun? The only time your you is when you give advise on our boards for wonderful people who asks about church services on board. That is great info you give to sooo many. How about letting people help when they give good info too!

Thanks Avian.

Denise:)

I’m not one who will respond to negativity,

But felt I wanted to be heard.

Every time I see your posts it is MOST of the time negative. That’s fine people can read or not. Unfortunately I feel you are out of line especially with someone like POA1

Who always is a wealth of info!!! Knowledgeable and informative! A great writer and a music writer!!!!! You should hear his Christmas songs he writes👍

I guess as a dentist you would probably tell me how to do things. Sorry, but half the time you seem to want to start things.

How about just being nice for a change hun? The only time your you is when you give advise on our boards for wonderful people who asks about church services on board. That is great info you give to sooo many. How about letting people help when they give good info too!

Thanks Avian.

Agree 100%!

Thanks Avian.

Thank you:D

You naiiled it :D

Different opinions are fine and good and welcome. I particularly appreciate the opinions based on experience. I find a nearly constant argumentative tone to be not only tiresome but not in the best interest of anyone actually looking for information.

I really just have one comment and one question.

1) My comment : I have been over the years a contributor or lurker to hundreds of threads that have been conducted accoring to the rules or guidelines of Cruise Critic. Essentially, a poster asks a question, another poster offers an answer, and other posters bring clarification or offer opinions without denegrating or negating the opinions of others. Easy enough. In the past few months, it seems however that every thread to which you and another poster prone to verbal diahrrea have contributed to (other than the religious one) have become contentious because of your replies and argumentative nature.

2) My question ; Coincidence ??? I, and many other posters, do not think so !

I really just have one comment and one question.

1) My comment : I have been over the years a contributor or lurker to hundreds of threads that have been conducted accoring to the rules or guidelines of Cruise Critic. Essentially, a poster asks a question, another poster offers an answer, and other posters bring clarification or offer opinions without denegrating or negating the opinions of others. Easy enough. In the past few months, it seems however that every thread to which you and another poster prone to verbal diahrrea have contributed to (other than the religious one) have become contentious because of your replies and argumentative nature.

2) My question ; Coincidence ??? I, and many other posters, do not think so !

(y) You are not alone.

I realize that I have focused a whole lot more on the liquors and wines on the HAL lists than on the cocktails. It's probably because I'm more of a bourbon on the rocks person than a mixed drink aficionado. In an effort to remedy the dearth of cocktail information, here's a list of some mixed drinks covered by the SBP. It's compiled from both Caribbean and Alaska menus, so you might see some different things on your cruise. This list was culled from multiple bar menus, but in my experience most HAL bartenders can make anything on the list. (And some things that aren't on the list, like the Wang Wang.)

• Absolut Bearing - Absolut Vanilla, Orange Juice. Fresh Rosemary
  • Anchor Drop - Absolut Vodka, Lemon Sour, Triple Soc, Blueberries
  • Bengal Banshee - Remy Martin Vsop Cognac, Orange Liqueur, Lillet Blanc, Pineapple Juice, Bitters And Nutmeg
  • Blue Florida - Absalut Citron, Bombay Original Gin, Pierre Ferrond Dry Curacao, Blue Curacao, Tonic. Dos Berg & Hauck Orange Bitters
  • Brooklyn - Totoosh Rye Whiskey. Noilly Prot Dry Vermouth, Martini Riserva Speciale Rubino. Maraschino Liqueur
  • Cafe Maguey - Don Julio Reposodo. Del Maguey Crema De Mezcal Tequila. Agave Nectar. Espresso
  • Citrus Cosmopolitans - Vodka, Fresh Citrus And Cranberry Juice. Available In Sex And The City, Fresh Grapefruit, Apple & Apricot
  • Crow's Nest Cocktail - Grey Goose L'orange. Orange And Cranberry Juice
  • Fashionista - Pineapple Vodka, Fresh Raspberries, Cilrus And House Made Sour
  • Fresh Grapefruit Cosmopolitan - Vodka. Grapefruit Juice. Cranberry Juice. Lemon Sour
  • Fresh Squeezed Lemon Drops - New Amsterdam Vodka, Hand-Pressed Lemons, Sugar - Available In West Coast, Glacier, Coral & Kiwi
  • Fresh Tropa Mango Mojito - Cruzan Guava Rum And Mango Puree
  • Frosty Chocolate Mint Buzz - Baileys, Absolut Vanilla Vodka And House Made Chocolate Mint Mix
  • Gin's Cup - Pimm's, Tanqueray Gin, St. Germain And Fresh Cucumber
  • Glacier Blue Martini - Iced Ketel One Vodka With A Splash Of Blue Curacao And Grand Marnier
  • Grand Frozen Strawberry Margarita - Jose Cuervo 1800 Tequila, Lime, Strawberry Puree And Topped With Grand Marnier
  • Hemingway Daiquiri - Mount Gay White Rum. Cherry Liqueur. Grapefruit
  • Mediterranean Martini - Vodka. Grappa. Lemon Infused Vermouth
  • Naut-Tai - Mount Gay Rum, Amarella DiSaranno, Pineapple Juice. Myers's Dark Rum
  • Northwest Cascade - Grey Goose Pear Vodka Mixed With Peppermint Schnapps And Creme De Cacao With A Hint Of Cream
  • Pinnacle Fizz - Sophistication In A Glass,. Delicately Prepared With Sparkling Wine, Grand Marnier, Bitters And Garnished With A Lemon Twist
  • Pomegranate Ginger Drop - Vodka, Pomegranale Juice And Ginger
  • Red Slag Derby - Jim Beam Red Stag Bourbon, Citrus Vodka, Fresh Mint And Soda
  • Royal Manhattan - Jim Beam Red Stag Bourbon. Red Vermouth And Angostura Bitters
  • Seattle Sunset - Jim Beam Red Stag And Campari Shaken Together With Sweet Vermouth
  • Signature Bloody Mary - Our Signature Mix Enhanced With Gourmet Garnishes And Rimmed Bacon-Seasoned Salt
  • Skinny Berry Citrus Rita - Cabo Wabo Silver Tequila, Fresh Raspberries And Skinny Lime Sour
  • Sparkling Bellini Manhattan - Bourbon, Sweel Vermoulh, Peach Puree, Sparkling Wine And A Dash Of Orange Billers
  • Sparkling Dreams - Vodka, Sparkling Wine And Hand-Pressed Oranges, Available In Classic, Mango, Strawberry, Guava & Banana
  • Starboard Sunrise - Bacardi Razz. Pineapple Juice, Raspberry Puree
  • Strawberries And Bubbles - Vodka, Fresh Strawberries And Sparkling Wine
  • Strawberry Basil Bellissimo - Vodka, Strawberries And Basil Infusion
  • Sunsicle - Cruzan Vanilla Rum. Fresh Orange, Lemon And Soda
  • Tat-Hattan - The Northwest's Take On The Classic, Made With Seattle's Premium Tatoosh Bourbon
  • The Classic Pina Colada - White Rum, Pineapple Juice And Coconut Mix
  • The Cucumber Lime Smash - New Amsterdam Vodka With Fresh Lime, Cucumber, House Sour And Sprite
  • The Pool Side Car - Brandy, Orange Liquor, Fresh Lemon, Fresh Orange And Soda
  • The Raspberry Sea Breeze - Vodka, Fresh Hand Pressed Grapefruit, Cranberry Juice, Raspberry And Soda
  • The Ultimate Raspberry Lemonade - Hand-Pressed Lemons, Raspberries And Vodka
  • Tuscan Lemon Drop - Rosemary Infused Citrus Vodka.Limoncello
  • Very Berry Cosmo - Northwest Goes Cosmopolitan With Absolut Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Fresh Lime And Northwest Berries
  • West Wind Breeze - Cruzan Guava Rum, Malibu, Cranberry Juice
  • Wine Country Collins - Premium Grey Goose Vodka, House Made Sour And Grapes

=======

I think you may be on to something, although I believe you have it exactly backward - no surprise there.

So, you're ENCOURAGING participation by posting "admonitions" as you call them? Doesn't seem like a great strategy. Nor does telling people to call the cruise line instead of posting questions for the community to answer.

My endgame is most certainly not to discourage participation in the Forums. However, it appears that some of the serial Posters on here are either intentionally or unwittingly serving that very objective when they attempt to bully anyone who offers an opinion that differs from the "group think" opinion. There are frequent (periodic) Posts from "newbies" asking why some Threads are so contentious and nasty. Additionally, the bullying issue has been mentioned in at least 2 CC Threads that raised the question about declining participation in Roll Calls and Meet & Greets and on CC in general. While being the object of cyber-bullying is of no concern to me, it has the effect of turning people away from participating in discussions on the CC HAL Forum

Prithee what exactly are you going for when you tell people to call the cruise line? Is that some sort of magical code that means, "Participate more, please!" in your part of the world?

While some people might find you "rankling" and a "challenge to their primacy," I can assure you that I'm not one of them. It's more of a slight annoyance... like a gnat flying around one's head.

I would never consider blocking your posts. They fascinate and delight me. I keep waiting for something that's on-topic, but there's been such a drought. Please don't take this as impugnment, and it's certainly not cyber-bullying by a long shot. But the next time you curl up with your copy of the CC Guidelines, you might want to check out the parts about staying on topic. Fascinating stuff!

======

poohby-colada.jpg

Poohby Joe says, "My Poohby Colada* with a rum floater was covered by the Signature Beverage Package."

*-It's a Pina Colada with added honey. It's a little sweet, IMHO.

Excellent post POA.

And perhaps Poohby Joe should have his own fan club.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

As a major celebrity, he tries to lay low. He eschews special treatment for the VIPs from the hundred area woods. He does appreciate the shout out though. :D

First of all, many posters deserve compliments for attempting to answer OP's original question. However, none of this information is of the slightest help in answering this question.

OP was provided the Beverage Package from his TA. As several have correctly pointed out, what is covered will depend upon which package was provided by the TA. At this point, it isn't even clear that it was a package or a beverage card. If he wants to know what it covers, he should contact his TA. HAL won't have the slightest idea what is included.