Onboard Marina now. Observations from a newbie.

ToxM

In September "Round the British Isles" there was a gentleman guest who wore a black hat with a white band and a brim, a la Frank Sinatra, from the time he boarded till the time he disembarked. I never saw him without it. In the end, I thought perhaps there was a particular reason for his wearing headgear. Perhaps he had some scaring on his scalp, for example? Having fixed on that idea, I stopped worrying about his wearing a hat indoors, or at the table. J

In September "Round the British Isles" there was a gentleman guest who wore a black hat with a white band and a brim, a la Frank Sinatra, from the time he boarded till the time he disembarked. I never saw him without it. In the end, I thought perhaps there was a particular reason for his wearing headgear. Perhaps he had some scaring on his scalp, for example? Having fixed on that idea, I stopped worrying about his wearing a hat indoors, or at the table. J

You raise an interesting point.

I have a good friend who recently had Mohs surgery performed on his scalp. He had to have a good part of his head shaved and has to keep the incision site bandaged for a few weeks. I went to the theater with him and he wore a baseball cap during the performance (which mortified him because he doesn't like when people wear hats indoors).

The guy wore the same black cowboy hat and brown leather vest every day and evening, regardless of venue. The hat never came of his head!

A wonderful cruise coming to an end tomorrow. Major problems were horrible internet service most of the cruise as a secondary issue, with continued plumbing issues from the beginning being the primary issue . We were told by staff, and verified by cruisers, that the entire back third of aft cabins experienced problems. They still don’t seem to have the issue resolved.

Otherwise, very enjoyable cruise. I’ll comment on the food once back home. Off to Rome for four days tomorrow. Hope this rainy weather doesn’t follow!

A couple of personal observations.

1. Why in the world would bitbob find people dancing up in Horizons, far from him, disconcerting? Why should he care? What a grump! It offends him to know other people are not sedate at 9:00 and having a good time!?

2. The true jerks are not those on the tour that got in the face of their fellow cruisers. The true jerks are those that repeatedly sign up for tours they are not able adequately complete while expecting the others on the tour to constantly facilitate them. Claiming those that either won’t read or don’t care about the stated physical requirements ( most are the latter) on a cruise are well mannered is absolute bull manure. They are the scum bags , not those that get in their face for being scum bags! I don’t do O tours anymore because O refuses to address the issue, even when put directly into their face! Since O has introduced O Life with the tours as part of the O Package and O experience, O owns the tours, just like the restaurants and other facilities. Allowing cruisers to be disruptive on tours becomes the same as allowing cruisers to be disruptive in a Specialties. It’s now part of the overall O experience. O’s refusal to take action against those signing up for tours beyond their ability and disrupting the tour tour is the same as allowing a passenger to be loud, drunk, and obnoxious in a Restaurant. It all becomes part of the O experience, IMO.

3. Go Next has had Groups on most every O cruise I’ve been on (probably 75%). For those demanding their absence, the number of cruises available to them will be highly limited.

4. It’s been a great cruise, enjoyed by most everyone.

I have to agree with this poster. A lot of people posting on this board are sounding like a bunch of pretentious snobs who seem to think they own Oceania cruises.

I sure hope the people on my cruise next week are a lot more down to earth and accepting of their fellow cruisers, or I will head back to AZ.

Everyone needs to chill. Unless you chartered the ship, you are simply along for the ride.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

Everyone needs to chill. Unless you chartered the ship, you are simply along for the ride.

That said, when one spends the kind of money one does on Oceania, one has the right to expect what they perceive Oceania to be. We all choose cruise lines because we like what they offer - in food, service, ambience, fellow passengers, accommodations, etc.

When that no longer matches up with our expectations or more importantly with our prior experience, we have the right not to be thrilled about it and voice that opinion (or maybe move on).

We don’t have to “chill” - we all can express our opinions and others are free to disagree.

I sure hope the people on my cruise next week are a lot more down to earth and accepting of their fellow cruisers, or I will head back to AZ.

From what I have read on AZ a lot of unhappy people there as well probably more unhappy than the O cruisers :eek:

That said, when one spends the kind of money one does on Oceania, one has the right to expect what they perceive Oceania to be. We all choose cruise lines because we like what they offer - in food, service, ambience, fellow passengers, accommodations, etc.

When that no longer matches up with our expectations or more importantly with our prior experience, we have the right not to be thrilled about it and voice that opinion (or maybe move on).

We don’t have to “chill” - we all can express our opinions and others are free to disagree.

Right. And if this kind of thing continues we are free to march out of there with our feet. We expect to get what we are paying for and if not it is goodby O. Would be too bad, since we have always had good trips on O, but if they decide to change their business policy we would have no choice but to look elsewhere. :(:(:(

I have to agree with this poster. A lot of people posting on this board are sounding like a bunch of pretentious snobs who seem to think they own Oceania cruises.

It's probably worth keeping in mind that there are a handful of regulars here and there are many thousands of happy Oceania customers.

My experience is that the typical Oceania passenger is easygoing, well-educated, and possesses a sense of humor. There may be a few clucks and bobbing heads when confronted by something like a hat in a dining room, but I think that most of my fellow travelers are not so obsessed with the minor peccadilloes of others.

Been cruising since 1989 but my first cruise was on Oceania in September.

As a consumer, a key issue I am observing on cruises and elsewhere is the Lack of Consistency of the product offering over a period of time - constant changes usually involving product quality decline corresponding with price increase. Add this to products not corresponding to the advertising - is where I draw the line as a consumer. I definately do not go with the flow and shrug off downgrades and substantially changed circumstances like the impact of large groups etc.

I fired Celebrity a while back because of their declining quality and on board shrilling and techno music - moved to Oceania.

I expect Oceania to deliver exactly their advertised product on every cruise I take, if there is a circumstance that would reasonably be expected to signficantly alter that product (hurricane, illness, large group impact, ship malfunction, substantive food shortage etc), I expect to be notified. This thread notes that the current group impacted the typical ambiance on the ship - which can happen for sure. If it becomes a typical circumstance, that would be a concern for me.

I moved to Oceania for their specific attributes - if these start changing, and given the price of Oceania, they will be fired.

I very much appreciate the comments of RJB, Paulchili - I enjoyed your strategic analysis of Oceania's product and the trends you are noticing.

Been cruising since 1989 but my first cruise was on Oceania in September.

This thread notes that the current group impacted the typical ambiance on the ship - which can happen for sure. If it becomes a typical circumstance, that would be a concern for me.

If you read the thread,the group hasn't impacted the typical ambience on the ship.In fact those that have posted have been quite happy.One man and his hat,one man in someone's face! Oh dear!!! It's other people's judgement on a cruise that they aren't even on.

Says more than the current cruisers comments.:o

As a rule large groups tend to be more of a problem than the regular customers that O and the other higher end lines get. This one could be the exception, but I would never sail if I knew that half the ship were these groups. Would not take the chance that my vacation might be spoiled. Just my thoughts after 10 O cruises. Everyone else should do what they want. :):)

I fired Celebrity a while back because of their declining quality and on board shrilling and techno music - moved to Oceania.

I moved to Oceania for their specific attributes - if these start changing, and given the price of Oceania, they will be fired.

Complaining about the increased pricing coupled with cutbacks has been a theme on several cruise line boards. And it's not just O or X. I know I am included in that as well.

So if you fire O after firing X, which direction will you move? Over to Viking Ocean & Azamara, up to Regent, Silversea & Seaborn or down to HAL, Princes or Carnival?

I believe the increased pricing despite cut backs is because people are willing to pay the price because they feel their economic situation is better than it used to be. I suspect once the economic cycle goes past the end stage into the recession stage (whenever that may be) you'll see occupancy rates decline along with pricing. However as long as the cruise lines charge it and get it, they will continue until they encounter customer resistance.

As a rule large groups tend to be more of a problem than the regular customers that O and the other higher end lines get. This one could be the exception, but I would never sail if I knew that half the ship were these groups. Would not take the chance that my vacation might be spoiled. Just my thoughts after 10 O cruises. Everyone else should do what they want. :):)

You must have your reasons for saying this but I don't agree. Please see my post #40 on this thread. Everyone on that cruise had a wonderful time whether they were part of a group or not. I don't mind saying that I take offense to your assessment that large groups "tend to be more of a problem". If you don't book cruises with groups onboard you are limiting yourself to a small number.

Complaining about the increased pricing coupled with cutbacks has been a theme on several cruise line boards. And it's not just O or X. I know I am included in that as well.

So if you fire O after firing X, which direction will you move? Over to Viking Ocean & Azamara, up to Regent, Silversea & Seaborn or down to HAL, Princes or Carnival?

I believe the increased pricing despite cut backs is because people are willing to pay the price because they feel their economic situation is better than it used to be. I suspect once the economic cycle goes past the end stage into the recession stage (whenever that may be) you'll see occupancy rates decline along with pricing. However as long as the cruise lines charge it and get it, they will continue until they encounter customer resistance.

It sounds like maybe a private yacht charter might be his best option. Reminds me of a Rolling Stones song.

It sounds like maybe a private yacht charter might be his best option. Reminds me of a Rolling Stones song.

Just the tips expected on the Below Deck yacht charters are upwards of $15-$20K. I have no idea how much the yacht rental is. Makes sharing an O ship look like a good deal even with some inconveniences.

I agree you can't please everyone and people have to remember you get what you pay for--some people want it all, but don't want to pay. Every person knows what their needs are--so pick the cruise that suits you within your price range. Rick

I agree Orv..looks like he wants a perfect cruise..Life just isnt that way!

Jancruz1

Why not? Whenever we do something, buy something or plan a vacation we should start out with trying to make it perfect. Why would we think any different? I know everything won't always come out perfect, but we sure should think it can. Need to set our sights as high as we can and hope to reach them. Have a good cruise.

So according to the old math, 25% are 70-80 years old. That only leaves 25% below age 70? I find that hard to believe.

But how fast is the train going?:D Or is it what time does the train arrive at the station?

I sure do agree. Not even close for our 10 O cruises. Most below 70.