Royal Caribbean hints at big reveal 11.7.17

mcatmcat

I'm confused at the point you are trying to make. Big ships are coming (NCL Bliss is confirmed & by the picture posted we are assuming some type of Quantum Class ship). We are agreeing that they wont make it into the smaller ports but will dock at larger touristy ports. Just like Oasis class ships in the Med that go to the larger ports that can handle them but not the smaller more intimate ports.

Can you clarify?

Thanks.

-Sean

I think you just about got it. The larger ships will not be able to go to some of the most scenic and popular stops because of their size...primarily in the Inside Passage areas. The fjord-like runs (such as Tracy Arm Fjord) simply won't handle big ships. Some other ports are currently under legislative review for perhaps adding further restrictions to all cruise ships based on issues that have arisen previously (mentioned those before).

The net-net is that the Alaska cruising experience will have more limitations (on destinations and sights) using larger ships. Yes...that's similar to Oasis port limits, because of the inability to support them in certain ports based on size alone, but in Alaska, the loss of viewing will have more of an impact.

The free drinks and buy one get one half price in UK finishes on November 6th 2017 so maybe it is the launch of a big new offer.

This is the new UK offer starting next week:

http://www.cruisingpoweruk.co.uk/uploads/latest-offers_918_4004899662.pdf

Basically - $100 - $600 OBC depending on type of cabin booked and destination. Free gratuities if sailing out of Southampton. 25% off cruise fare (apparently)

Basically - $100 - $600 OBC depending on type of cabin booked and destination. Free gratuities if sailing out of Southampton. 25% off cruise fare (apparently)

Thanks for update.

As D and now D+ RC will not combine balcony discount with OBC.

25% off what? If I compare Symphony Nov 24th 2018 -UK price from 679 pounds. US price $719. They are very deceptive with their pricing IMO, be careful of BOGO also, they just move numbers around to make it look like they are actually giving you a discount.

For many cruisers it is more about the ship than the ports and this will allow those people to experience the best of both.

It would be for us. We have been on two Alaska cruises round trip from Seattle so far, and anticipate going on many more. This is because we live in Seattle, and an Alaska cruise round trip from our home city is actually cheaper all-in than flying to Florida for a Caribbean cruise. However, its a tough choice between going on a new ship on the same itinerary we've done multiple times before which is expensive (current option is NCL Bliss, but I could see the same thing in the future with a Quantum class ship) vs. a round trip Seattle Pacific Coastal cruise on Explorer (which we did in September and loved, plus it was about 1/2 the price of any Alaska cruise, but its only offered 2-3 weeks a year).

To do a more desirable Alaska itinerary costs much much more as the one way cruises are more expensive, plus you have airfare (even if just considering Seward to Vancouver or Seattle). At this point we prioritize a "vacation" over "travel" though, ie. we care more about fun, cheap, and easy that crossing off any destinations or activities on our bucket list.

The fjord-like runs (such as Tracy Arm Fjord) simply won't handle big ships.

NCL Bliss is scheduled to do a Tracy Arm itinerary June-September 2018. Time will tell if it is more of an on-paper stop where only passengers who book an excursion through NCL get to see anything, or if they will go partway in then turn around and leave (especially as like most ships they will be short on time as they are doing Juneau the same day). We are currently booked on Bliss for Sept 2018 but still deciding. We'd prefer Royal.

I've always read that often they divert to Endicott Arm due to ice at Tracy Arm, and even if the conditions are ideal, they often turn back early due to time. So, we've done Glacier Bay both times we've done Alaska (the first time as it was the first and its what most people recommend, and the second time as we were going early in the season in May and didn't want to be disappointed).

I'm surprised they didn't schedule Bliss do to Glacier Bay (I know they have at least one permit as we've gone there on NCL Pearl), as it seems like that would be way easier for a large ship and is the more desirable itinerary and could garner a bit more money. Maybe there is a reason they couldn't though? I know there are a lot of restrictions.

25% off what? If I compare Symphony Nov 24th 2018 -UK price from 679 pounds. US price $719. They are very deceptive with their pricing IMO, be careful of BOGO also, they just move numbers around to make it look like they are actually giving you a discount.

Agreed. I am actually looking at booking the Symphony sailing you mention. At present an interior is £899pp on the UK Website (including 'free' drinks package). If it drops to £679 on Tuesday that's only £220 less (+ $50 OBC pp). A deluxe package priced at $65 a night would be $455 or about £350. Surely makes more sense for me to book now before Tuesday... I think!!!

NCL Bliss is scheduled to do a Tracy Arm itinerary June-September 2018. Time will tell if it is more of an on-paper stop where only passengers who book an excursion through NCL get to see anything, or if they will go partway in then turn around and leave (especially as like most ships they will be short on time as they are doing Juneau the same day). We are currently booked on Bliss for Sept 2018 but still deciding. We'd prefer Royal.

I've always read that often they divert to Endicott Arm due to ice at Tracy Arm, and even if the conditions are ideal, they often turn back early due to time. So, we've done Glacier Bay both times we've done Alaska (the first time as it was the first and its what most people recommend, and the second time as we were going early in the season in May and didn't want to be disappointed).

I'm surprised they didn't schedule Bliss do to Glacier Bay (I know they have at least one permit as we've gone there on NCL Pearl), as it seems like that would be way easier for a large ship and is the more desirable itinerary and could garner a bit more money. Maybe there is a reason they couldn't though? I know there are a lot of restrictions.

Interesting.

There are annual cutoffs of time to go up that fjord, even for Radiance based on water levels and ice flows from Sawyer Glacier. Even that size ship can only carefully navigate through the various turns and narrow rocky side areas. A bigger one - can't see it happening.

Still thinking Coco Cay changes will be the big reveal.

I also think given the photo posted by Luke above that it's a possibility of a Quantum Class ship in Alaska.

Most people here who have followed the RCI deployment over the years have seen numerous surprises after a ship has been given a "confirmed deployment". None of us, or I should say most of us, did not see Quantum leaving NJ for China. We also remember Royal spending a lot of money on Mariner OTS for the Asia market and now she will head back to the US after another update. So my point is, RCI will not hesitate to cancel cruises in a specific geographic region to re-deploy a ship somewhere else.

Part of me thinks that they are reacting to the move by NCL bringing one of their newest ships to Alaska. Recall what happened in Port Canaveral. When Carnival stepped up its capacity (with some newer ships also) and NCL brought Epic into the mix, Royal brought Oasis OTS to PC. The same could be contemplated also with Miami which will have Symphony OTS and Allure OTS. Was this as a result of NCL, MSC and Virgin bringing new ships to Miami. Sometimes competition is a good thing for the consumer.

Here the newest art work for the big reveal. To me it looks like it will be about Coco Cay because it is a picture of a ship docking at an island. Michael Bayley just spoke with Travel Weekly and mentioned that they are going to create the world's largest water slide on Coco Cay.

Candie

23167622_10155709772791397_198997572344616905_n.jpg?oh=5be3d18394ff96351113fbd6bd97a48c&oe=5AA19E52