Unfair booking policies

Geoffa30

UK Princess cruiser and feeling pretty miffed at the moment. Just seen our 2018 Sapphire Cruise is on special offer which could potentially save us £600. Excellent. Phoned up. No way of changing without cancelling and rebooking thus losing deposit and FCC OBC. And yet US cruisers seemingly can reprice as much as they like. They also get much better offers from the outset. What a joke. It’s about time Princess upped their game and became more competitive in the UK.

UK residents can't book through US ta's. When I complained to Princess UK about the disparity in booking conditions I was told that "US consumers respond to fluid pricing" . So would UK consumers given the chance!!! When I queried booking through Princess US, I was told that it wasn't possible because Princess UK objected. That was the last Princess cruise I booked (2001) and all future cruises were on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity who aren't so discriminatory in allowing non- US residents to book through US ta's. Nothing at all to do with local government regulations

When there is a "special offer" or sale that states "New Bookings Only" the only way to get the better price is to cancel and re-book, which would involve losing any perks with the original booking (and non-refundable deposit, if that is the case), no matter if you are in the US, the UK, or Timbuctoo!

At least, that is how I understand it, based on numerous threads on this board...

As I understand it, UK cruisers are now allowed a one off "fare drop" at an £100 administration charge any time before final payment. After this, then you have to cancel and rebook, thereby losing your deposit. We got a fare drop as recently s July using this method. I should speak to your t/a again about this. Bearing mind though ypu would lose any obc if this isn't included on the present lower prices.

When there is a "special offer" or sale that states "New Bookings Only" the only way to get the better price is to cancel and re-book, which would involve losing any perks with the original booking (and non-refundable deposit, if that is the case), no matter if you are in the US, the UK, or Timbuctoo!

At least, that is how I understand it, based on numerous threads on this board...

with Princess, there is never an "only way" or "always":cool:

Edited by voljeep
correction

I always read on CC about people being able to rebook or reprice a cruise. I have tried several times and have never gotten a cent. I am from USA, 22 cruises. Don't feel bad.

I have rebooked my 28 January Regal cruise and got an $864 refund plus free gratuities. Also 21 October Sapphire cruise price reduced $300 plus free gratuities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of things are unfair. It’s unfair that promotions after final payment are for new bookings only; unfair that most promotions are based on double occupancy and/or for balcony or better cabin type; unfair that singles pay double... I could go on.

Pricing on Princess for UK passengers is dictated by Princess Cruises UK. Separate company from Princess US. Princess Cruises UK has exclusive marketing and sales rights for booking on Princess cruise ships. Apples and oranges.

I believe The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 applies to cruises sold in the UK. It provides several restrictions and consumer protections that do not apply in the US. This may be why UK terms are not as flexible.

We usually book cruise only so this protection is not relevant to us, although it will be to those who book a package

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

UK residents can't book through US ta's. When I complained to Princess UK about the disparity in booking conditions I was told that "US consumers respond to fluid pricing" . So would UK consumers given the chance!!! When I queried booking through Princess US, I was told that it wasn't possible because Princess UK objected. That was the last Princess cruise I booked (2001) and all future cruises were on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity who aren't so discriminatory in allowing non- US residents to book through US ta's. Nothing at all to do with local government regulations

I booked both a Princess and a Cunard cruise through a US travel agent online in 2010. The agent had a 0800 number to speak with your specific adviser. Since that date they brought in restrictions. It was the cruise lines that were introducing rules, presumably because they were losing revenue. The only problem I found was that you had to phone around midnight or later to speak to people.

The rules which the US lines brought in do not completely exclude UK passport holders/residents from booking. There are a number of technicalities where you are still allowed to book as a UK passport holder/resident. If you email potential US agents you might get a good result.

Regards John

I actually tried to book a Norway midnight sun Princess cruise, sailing from Southampton, previously with a UK travel agency because UK has better pricing than US. The UK agency indicated that they could not book non-UK resident for the cruise. Of course, UK Princess would not book me either because I'm a US resident.

It does look like they apply their policy consistently, both ways.

Thanks for all your responses to my ‘vent’ which I feel is valid (more so than those about multiple entrées and pats of butter :confused:). I understand what everyone says but it is still frustrating. On our first Princess cruise just three years ago, we were able to reprice without issue. The £100 admin fee for a one time change was then introduced. When we phoned yesterday we thought this would still be the case and we’re happy to pay it but it seems the only option now is to cancel and rebook. We’re going to phone again today to see if we get someone who is more flexible!

UK Princess cruiser and feeling pretty miffed at the moment. Just seen our 2018 Sapphire Cruise is on special offer which could potentially save us £600. Excellent. Phoned up. No way of changing without cancelling and rebooking thus losing deposit and FCC OBC. And yet US cruisers seemingly can reprice as much as they like. They also get much better offers from the outset. What a joke. It’s about time Princess upped their game and became more competitive in the UK.

Hi Geoff if you think UK is bad try living in Australia. We can’t get cheap deals even if we book from a Mediterranean cruise. It is a disgrace

Hi Geoff if you think UK is bad try living in Australia. We can’t get cheap deals even if we book from a Mediterranean cruise. It is a disgrace

Not to denigrate anyone but it does seem that our US friends do get treated better than other countries.