Question about the Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle

tjcletzgo

Never seen a soufflé of any kind in a buffet. Too fragile.

No need to have a whole meal in the MDR if all you want is the one item. We’ve been known just to go for dessert!

Sadie, it isn't a souffle per se. (pun/rhyme intended) It is a combination of very rich cheeses that are cooked and then finished off right again before serving. I have not seen them anywhere except for the night they are served in the MDR. I don't think they would carry well in a heating tray.We too have gone down to the MDR for a particular item; the goat cheese souffle to be exact.

Here's the recipe - adjusted for smaller quantity. Lots of work - I keep intending to try it but never have gotten around to it.

GoatCheese Souffle – Princess Cruises

1 pint milk

1oz baked garlic puree

1/2 lb goat cheese

8egg yolks

1/2 pound butter (room temperature)

1/2lb flour

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup Gruyere cheese for sauce

Butter for molds

1/4 cup parmesan cheese to coat molds

2cups double cream (can use heavy cream)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375°. Butter six 3/4cup ramekins and dust with parmesan cheese.

Place the milk into a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring to a boil, and whisk in thebaked garlic. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Mix butter and flour until aroux is formed. Whisk the roux into the milk/garlic and beat well over theheat, allow to cook out to a thick consistency. Add in the egg yolks and beat well, allow to cook out.

Bring the pan to the side of the stove, add in the crumbled goat cheese, beatuntil dissolved and season lightly. Whipup the egg whites to a stiff peak and fold throughout the mixture retaining asmuch air as possible.

Place the souffle mix into a piping bag and pipe into pre-buttered parmesancoated ramekin molds. Divide soufflémixture among ramekins and arrange in a large baking pan just large enough tohold them. Add enough hot water to baking pan to reach halfway up sides oframekins. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and goldenbrown, about 20 minutes, and transfer to a rack.

Let soufflés stand, uncovered, 30 minutes (soufflés will fall slightly).

Lightly butter a baking sheet. Run a thin knife around edges of soufflés.Invert each soufflé onto palm of your hand and carefully put, right side up,onto baking sheet. Soufflés may be made up to this point 2 days ahead andchilled, covered.

Increase temperature to 425°F.

In a small saucepan bring cream with remaining teaspoon thyme and salt andpepper to taste to a boil. Remove pan from heat and keep cream warm, covered.Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and heated through, about5 minutes.

Transfer soufflés to plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons cream over each soufflé.Princess serves with a decorative salad.

Here's the recipe - adjusted for smaller quantity. Lots of work - I keep intending to try it but never have gotten around to it.

GoatCheese Souffle – Princess Cruises

1 pint milk 1oz baked garlic puree

1/2 lb goat cheese 8egg yolks

1/2 pound butter (room temperature) 1/2lb flour

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup Gruyere cheese for sauce Butter for molds

1/4 cup parmesan cheese to coat molds 2cups double cream (can use heavy cream)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375°. Butter six 3/4cup ramekins and dust with parmesan cheese.

Place the milk into a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring to a boil, and whisk in thebaked garlic. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Mix butter and flour until aroux is formed. Whisk the roux into the milk/garlic and beat well over theheat, allow to cook out to a thick consistency. Add in the egg yolks and beat well, allow to cook out.

Bring the pan to the side of the stove, add in the crumbled goat cheese, beatuntil dissolved and season lightly. Whipup the egg whites to a stiff peak and fold throughout the mixture retaining asmuch air as possible.

Place the souffle mix into a piping bag and pipe into pre-buttered parmesancoated ramekin molds. Divide soufflémixture among ramekins and arrange in a large baking pan just large enough tohold them. Add enough hot water to baking pan to reach halfway up sides oframekins. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and goldenbrown, about 20 minutes, and transfer to a rack.

Let soufflés stand, uncovered, 30 minutes (soufflés will fall slightly).

Lightly butter a baking sheet. Run a thin knife around edges of soufflés.Invert each soufflé onto palm of your hand and carefully put, right side up,onto baking sheet. Soufflés may be made up to this point 2 days ahead andchilled, covered.

Increase temperature to 425°F.

In a small saucepan bring cream with remaining teaspoon thyme and salt andpepper to taste to a boil. Remove pan from heat and keep cream warm, covered.Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and heated through, about5 minutes.

Transfer soufflés to plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons cream over each soufflé.Princess serves with a decorative salad.

Thank you so much[emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

Can anyone tell me if this is offered in the Horizon Court? I really want to try this but that's the only thing that's interesting on the menu. Thanks so much for any info you can give me.:cool:

Had it at the MDR but didn't notice it at Horizon.

I could easily go to the MDR and order the goat cheese souffle for my appetizer....and my entree.....and dessert..... it's one of my two favorite dishes on Princess - the other being the Norman Love pistachio dome dessert.

Well now I know at least 2 things that I will be sure to order in the MDR. Thanks!

We were doing the Chef's Table the night they were serving the goat cheese soufflé. Our DD and her friend went to the DR when it opened just for the soufflé. DD is a vegetarian and they accommodated her at the CT on the Pacific. As a substitution for one of the non vegetarian appetizers in the galley she was served another soufflé so she scored twice that night [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DW loves that Goat Cheese "thingee" and had it a week ago on the Regal. She said its was a good as always. But one does have to dine in the MDR to get that kind of treat.

Hank

I've never had this but reading this thread makes me want to try it!

Can a frequent-Princess-cruiser confirm - is this found in the MDR on most cruises, and is it a one-time 'thingee' or available a few nights?

It is in the main dining room and only once during each cruise. It is usually toward the end of a cruise and not on a formal night. The menu used to be called the chefs menu and it included the goat cheese soufflé and a sorbet to cleanse your palate.. The entrees used to be special but aren’t anymore, at least not to me.

I've never had this but reading this thread makes me want to try it!

Can a frequent-Princess-cruiser confirm - is this found in the MDR on most cruises, and is it a one-time 'thingee' or available a few nights?

It has been in the MDR on one night of every Princess cruise we can remember. If you are doing back to backs, you would have it twice :). On the other hand, Princess has gradually eliminated other things we have liked, so who knows about the future?

Hank

It has been in the MDR on one night of every Princess cruise we can remember. If you are doing back to backs, you would have it twice :). On the other hand, Princess has gradually eliminated other things we have liked, so who knows about the future?

Hank

Thanks Hank and Sea Day Cruiser. Let's hope it's still around when I try out the Regal for the first time next year!

Can anyone tell me if this is offered in the Horizon Court? I really want to try this but that's the only thing that's interesting on the menu. Thanks so much for any info you can give me.:cool:

Never seen it in horizontal court.