Chanukah - apparently doesn't exist on RCI

Minor to you, I assume you’re not Jewish.

Not that I have to defend myself to a total stranger, but I can daven during the chagim and shabbos with the best of them in shul. I belong to a Conservative shul and we don't have a mechitza and women can go up the bima and get an Aliyah. Am I Jewish enough for you????

Let me know if you need an interpretation. I will be glad to supply one.

And, yes it really is considered a minor holiday. I don't make this stuff up and it isn't my own personal opinion.

Quite a few in here also stated it isn't considered a major holiday. According to your assumption, maybe they also aren't Jewish??:rolleyes:

I guess my opinion is if the religious aspect of any holiday is really important to you, then perhaps it would be best to stay at home where there is a place of worship. I'm not sure I expect a cruise ship to provide that.

Was just on RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. Hanukkah was well observed. Big hanukkiah in Centrum, smaller on Guest Services counter. Dedicated largest conference room for service every night, another hanukkiah in that room, latkes and jelly donuts. And challah and decent kosher wine for Shabbat. Standing room only 1st night and excellent attendance the other 7. We had at least one rabbi on board and several other passengers could have led things if needed. RCCL very supportive as we’ve had similar experience on other sailings.

The confusion likely comes from it not being a biblical holiday. So it does not have the religious aspect of holidays like Rosh Hashanah and Passover. Jews can work on Chanukah. But the holiday is a major Jewish celebration that is very widely celebrated by Jews. It is not a very minor or minor holiday.

And unlike Christmas, Hanukkah is celebrated for a mere 8 days........we don't have to hang stuff up in October and take it down in February.........no stockings, no elves on shelves, no milk and cookies, no reindeer, no mistletoe, no jolly guy coming down the chimney.....just a simple menorah and a few candles. There is no reason for any cruise line not to at least highlight a menorah and a scheduled location for a lighting ceremony.

I guess my opinion is if the religious aspect of any holiday is really important to you, then perhaps it would be best to stay at home where there is a place of worship. I'm not sure I expect a cruise ship to provide that.

That's my opinion too.

I really appreciate it when it is done, but don't expect it.

Was on HAL Zuiderdam during the holiday. All i can say is HAL tried to make it right

First night 75 people showed up in small meeting room while next door 25 showed up for mass.

Video taken Entertainment director changed it next night

Plaintain latkes with raisins served

pax gave ED recipe we winded up with sweet potato and potato latkes with carrots and raisins and awful jelly doughnut balld

Two shabbat service kiddishes were great

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by pamrose228

The crew on anthem were amazingly supportive! The menorah had electrical issues and they sent it down to be worked on. They provided wine, latkes and jelly donuts nightly. All in the back of WJ before they opened for dinner. Met many nice people there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How about Diwali, Eid, Chinese New Year. Never seen any of them celebrated on a cruise but are all important to people of those religions. Just saying.. ....please don't flame - and if you do I won't be responding

We were just on the Rhapsody of the Seas and we celebrated Hanukkah with a Rabbi each night! The ship provided the menorah (which sometimes lit up), Manischewitz wine, latkes ( not too tasty) with applesauce, and doughnuts ( again, not too tasty) but very generous! Rabbi Steve led us in prayer and song. Each night he composed his own song that he wrote incorporating our days at sea or ports of call in his lyrics. Much appreciated! It was held in the Windjammer annex. He then went over to light the big Menorah located in the Centrum for all to see!

Every cruise we have sailed on or around Chanukah has had at least a menorah somewhere on the ship (usually near guest services) and some ships had a banner in the centrum. It has been several years since we actually sailed during Chanukah, but there was a candle "lighting" every night ( not in a huge public area, but in a conference type room) and RCCL provided wine, donuts etc. There was no formal leader, we all said the prayers and sang a few songs. I recall that RCCL made a nice effort, as they generally do with Shabbat Services.

M

Not that I have to defend myself to a total stranger, but I can daven during the chagim and shabbos with the best of them in shul. I belong to a Conservative shul and we don't have a mechitza and women can go up the bima and get an Aliyah. Am I Jewish enough for you????

Let me know if you need an interpretation. I will be glad to supply one.

And, yes it really is considered a minor holiday. I don't make this stuff up and it isn't my own personal opinion.

Quite a few in here also stated it isn't considered a major holiday. According to your assumption, maybe they also aren't Jewish??:rolleyes:

If you only knew, how many miracles were seen, and prayers were responded at the light of these lil flames, you wouldn't call it a minor holiday. I know it's a matter of belief. But lemme tell you something: I don't believe because I see, I see BECAUSE I believe.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

If you only knew, how many miracles were seen, and prayers were responded at the light of these lil flames, you wouldn't call it a minor holiday. I know it's a matter of belief. But lemme tell you something: I don't believe because I see, I see BECAUSE I believe.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

I understand. I feel the same way when I light shabbos candles.

Someone already explained why it's considered a minor holiday. It isn't my assumption or my personal belief. It is what it is.

Here's hoping you continue to experience many more miracles and answered prayers in the glowing light of the chanukah candles.

Was just on RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. Hanukkah was well observed. Big hanukkiah in Centrum, smaller on Guest Services counter. Dedicated largest conference room for service every night, another hanukkiah in that room, latkes and jelly donuts. And challah and decent kosher wine for Shabbat. Standing room only 1st night and excellent attendance the other 7. We had at least one rabbi on board and several other passengers could have led things if needed. RCCL very supportive as we’ve had similar experience on other sailings.

I was on the Grandeur and attended the Hanukah service every evening.Royal Caribbean hired a Cantor to conduct the service as well as the sabbath service. One of the passengers happened to be a Rabbi and took part in the service .

People would boycott if the ships weren't decorated for Christmas. ...

Really? After months of tawdry so-called Christmas decorations blemishing every store, mall, and cityscape, it would be a relief to get aboard a ship that celebrated cruising or World Cup or anything else! IMNSHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? After months of tawdry so-called Christmas decorations blemishing every store, mall, and cityscape, it would be a relief to get aboard a ship that celebrated cruising or World Cup or anything else! IMNSHO.

This is good to know. I'm sure that RCCL can get some Buckeye decorations for your next cruise. I'll bet they'll provide a Block O for your door. ;)

I would have been thrilled if December cruises lacked holiday themes altogether, any and all denominations. But then of course you'd have some conservative snowflakes crying that there's a "war on Christmas." ;)

Quite a mouthful that was! :D