Regal Princess Internet....FAST!

DocRock143

Just boarded the Regal Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale yesterday.

New internet plan....pay by the day, $10 per device per 24 hours. If Elite or Platinum, no charge. $10 per day no different than many hotels. Slight discount for weeklong use.

And you can switch between phone and laptop, no problem, as long as only using one device at a time per person. Each cabin person can use one device at a time, and switch between devices.

And connection is MUCH FASTER....nearly as fast as wireless at home, as long as not uploading/downloading very large files.

A huge improvement in service. No need to keep track of minutes, purchase more minutes, etc.

Best,

Alan

Just boarded the Regal Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale yesterday. New internet plan....pay by the day, $10 per device per 24 hours. If Elite or Platinum, no charge. $10 per day no different than many hotels. Slight discount for weeklong use.

Thanks for the info. Can you run a speed test by chance and report back the results? Download, upload and ping times. Something like: https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

It’s generally very good. Have even been able to watch 1440P YouTube videos in the YouTube app. However it is temperamental as it doesn’t like certain websites (e.g. Cruise Critic! I’ve switched over to the app rather than using the website as each time I have tried to post something it has crashed.) It’s definitely streets ahead of what we had before. Seeing minutes tick away whilst trying to open the most basic website was incredibly frustrating. Definitely worth the $9.99 per day charge. Fingers crossed it remains free for Platinums and Elites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

...I would gladly pay $10 per day for reliable internet. I will be able to work from cruise -> more cruises

That's where I'm at. I'm self employed and have to arrange for someone to monitor Email while I'm away. If it is truly reliable 24/7 I can take Email and make some calls if needed and not have to arrange for someone to cover.

Was going to try Royal Caribbean just to have access to "Voom" but now I think I'd give Princess another try. Still arrange for someone the first cruise to test it out but if it works I might just make Elite after all.

I was on Regal Princess for the four-day Ocean Medallion intro cruise Nov 15-19.

I am elite and enjoyed having unlimited internet. And yes, it was much faster than in the past.

I spoke to the Captain's Circle rep and was told that following this introductory period testing of the new Medallion Net internet, that the number of free internet minutes for platinum and elite passengers will be as was -- 150 minutes for a 7-day cruise, etc.

She also said that Royal Princess is scheduled to get Medallion Net sometime around January, followed by Caribbean Princess a few months later. But no promises.

No, I didn't get the medallion. I was notified a few weeks before the cruise that I was not in the group receiving it.

I didn't see very much going on that seemed to be associated with the medallion. Maybe because few pax actually had it.

That's where I'm at. I'm self employed and have to arrange for someone to monitor Email while I'm away. If it is truly reliable 24/7 I can take Email and make some calls if needed and not have to arrange for someone to cover.

Was going to try Royal Caribbean just to have access to "Voom" but now I think I'd give Princess another try. Still arrange for someone the first cruise to test it out but if it works I might just make Elite after all.

Exactly. Because of cheap Voom I now have to additional cruises per year all with RCCL.. I am in IT and can work remotely. I even have Web conferences sometimes.

New internet plan....pay by the day, $10 per device per 24 hours. If Elite or Platinum, no charge. $10 per day no different than many hotels. Slight discount for weeklong use.

And you can switch between phone and laptop, no problem, as long as only using one device at a time per person. Each cabin person can use one device at a time, and switch between devices.

And connection is MUCH FASTER....nearly as fast as wireless at home, as long as not uploading/downloading very large files.

A huge improvement in service. No need to keep track of minutes, purchase more minutes, etc.

Best,

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for this post. We are on Royal in April/May and I would love to have some internet time.

Are you on a TA (probably not)? We are doing a TA from FLL to Southampton, then around the BI. I have been trying to find out if internet on the Royal will be any good (loved voom on RCI in Australia and NZ) and this is the first report I've seen of decent service. I would be happy to spend $10/day to keep in touch with dogsitter and others.

Do you know if it works for Netflix?

Thanks for any help. Enjoy your cruise

ML

Exactly. Because of cheap Voom I now have to additional cruises per year all with RCCL.. I am in IT and can work remotely. I even have Web conferences sometimes.

I'm in IT as well. How was the speed on VOOM? Latency?

Did it work "everywhere", no dead spots while at sea etc?

Anything blocked? I would need access to a Cisco VPN.

Both times we stayed on 9th deck on Anthem. Closer to front it was better than in aft in some reason. I suspect that my laptop isn't functioning properly as on my iPad my husband watched hockey games in our aft cabin, I also watched some TV on tablet while exercising in gym. Connections on laptop wasn't great in our cabin in some reason, but much better in front solarium.

We don't use VPN, I just connect to our DB through SQL developer , use Eclipse for development.

That worked well for me.

I also used Skype and Webex for meetings.

Best,

Alan

You're certainly right about overall fast internet. It was by far the fastest we had on any line. Really hated watching the time(and dollars)tick away waiting for you to finally get online.