How much tip to luggage handlers

Fred C

The guys in the terminal with the big carts are able to bypass the lines and take the bags to our hired car. We usually give them $20. It's worth it, they are doing more, and using more of their time then our airport curbside check in which we give $2. a bag usually.

Exactly. I was assuming that the OP's question was related only to arrival, but on departure day when the bags need to be transported more than six feet and access to the "express lane" for customs is helpful, the tip increases significantly.:)

Exactly. I was assuming that the OP's question was related only to arrival, but on departure day when the bags need to be transported more than six feet and access to the "express lane" for customs is helpful, the tip increases significantly.:)

Alas, we were told by a porter when we arrived back in Miami that there was no longer an "express line" through Customs for people accompanied by a porter. (This sealed his fate, BTW.)

And yet, a year ago at Port Everglades, we were told by a porter that they had no express line, but PortMiami did. :o

I don't see the need to pay anything on embarkation. It's not a discretionary service which you choose to use/not use and there is no noticeable value add.

On disembarkation, it is a matter of choice (for me), an opportunity for value add, service differential plus requires consumption of a fair amount of the porters time. So I typically pay $10 which works out $2-$3 per bag but I work more on the basis that $10 is reasonable compensation.

For extraordinary service, I would double the tip or pay even more. For example, on one occasion, my phone wasn't working so the porter lent me his to call pre-booked taxi. Plus he stayed with me until taxi arrived. I make a judgement on quality of service, effort and consumption of time.

At least $2 per bag. We'll be checking 4 this time, so I will tip $10.

For those who don't tip at all, have you had issues with your bags arriving intact, unscathed? :eek:

For disembarkation, we'll tip about the same, maybe a few more if we need more help.

Alas, we were told by a porter when we arrived back in Miami that there was no longer an "express line" through Customs for people accompanied by a porter. (This sealed his fate, BTW.)

And yet, a year ago at Port Everglades, we were told by a porter that they had no express line, but PortMiami did. :o

Some ports have an express lane for porters, others do not. Bayonne has a separate line for porters and then the porters will take you all the way to the parking garage pick up area. Well worth the tip.

We usually do a flat $10 when we board the ship - and when getting off we generally just grab our own bags and go. Having cruised for a bit, we're pretty good about getting luggage that all hooks together. Getting on the boat, though, I always feel better karma if I tip - as if it will make my bags appear sooner. I know it does not, but it makes me feel better.

Some ports have an express lane for porters, others do not. Bayonne has a separate line for porters and then the porters will take you all the way to the parking garage pick up area. Well worth the tip.

Oh, definitely agreed on that. In the past at PortMiami, engaging the services of a porter probably saved us a half-hour wait, even though we could have handled our bags ourselves.

Here we go again. We have not had one of these threads in at least a week. I don't tip anything as the porters are overpaid union longshoremen. My luggage always gets on the ship and it never arrives wet.

What's their average hourly rate? And which union?

Here we go again. We have not had one of these threads in at least a week. I don't tip anything as the porters are overpaid union longshoremen. My luggage always gets on the ship and it never arrives wet.

DON

I agree, they do not do much except put the luggage on a cart. The ships personnel does most of the work and they are the ones that should get the tips.

For those who don't tip at all, have you had issues with your bags arriving intact, unscathed? :eek:

If I really thought that this "tipping" was actually blackmail payments, then I certainly wouldn't play.

But as it happens, in Britain the porters get paid a salary and you don't even see them on embarkation if you go on a bus. So the problem doesn't arise.