Drones

lcookie

Definitely should not be legal to fly around the ship, especially near private balconies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are so correct with your post.

5f323d9d7ce9093d103b1ba3e051b6fb.jpg

Drones with cameras should be banned around cruise ship balconies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. Don't want it for ship activities. Wanted some good action shots of an off-road excursion. Does not seem like it will be though.

Funny that you want it for some good action shots of an off road trip. That is exactly what someone on our cruise in April used it for. I'm sure he used it on other tours as well. We did an off roading tour on Moorea in April on the Radiance. He seemed very good at flying it. I don't know the rules on using them, but I hope it works out for you. It would be some really good shots.

Are you familiar with the laws applying to where you want to fly? The requirements here include you need pre-approval from everyone you will fly over, permission from the land owner, no flights within 4km of an aerodrome, plus a dozen other rules.

This drone is an item that is banned from the ship plain and simple. If you take the drone can another passenger take a shotgun so that they can clay shoot on shore (perhaps mistaking your drone in the process)?

Funny that you want it for some good action shots of an off road trip. That is exactly what someone on our cruise in April used it for. I'm sure he used it on other tours as well. We did an off roading tour on Moorea in April on the Radiance. He seemed very good at flying it. I don't know the rules on using them, but I hope it works out for you. It would be some really good shots.

This could be the same gentleman who had a drone on our Voyager repositioning cruise from Sydney to Singapore. He was allowed to take it off at each port and fly it from the land. He was not allowed to come close to or overfly the ship. He was also not allowed to take off or land the drone on the ship. He produced some wonderful footage of our voyage.

Does anyone have any experience with RCI's policy for transporting drones?

I had the smallest drone , smaller than your palm , confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise ,sydney to Sydney . Was bought as a present by my wife :)

half way through the cruise on a sea day , walked in to a video games teen room . one of the prizes in a machine was a drone bigger than my present :o

I had the smallest drone , smaller than your palm , confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise ,sydney to Sydney . Was bought as a present by my wife :)

half way through the cruise on a sea day , walked in to a video games teen room . one of the prizes in a machine was a drone bigger than my present :o

Now that is funny.

This could be the same gentleman who had a drone on our Voyager repositioning cruise from Sydney to Singapore. He was allowed to take it off at each port and fly it from the land. He was not allowed to come close to or overfly the ship. He was also not allowed to take off or land the drone on the ship. He produced some wonderful footage of our voyage.

Do you have a link to this footage?

We just returned from a cruise that stopped at Labadee. There was a drone flying over our swimming area (Nellies beach) and landed to a man on the beach. We did wonder about the regulations of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May or may not have been him, but I follow a guy on Instagram that works for RCI and stays on Labadee that takes a TON of drone footage at Labadee and around Haiti in general. His Instagram ID is malfiniphotography if you use Instagram and wanted to take a look.

Dan.

Does anyone have any experience with RCI's policy for transporting drones?

Hubby took his drone on the Oasis this summer and we used it in Labadee with no issues. We didn't have any issues going thru security at the airport either. TSA does have some battery size limits; however, we were well below the max allowed. Delta said it TSA accepted them then they would also.

When we were departing FLL a week ago, I was sitting in the Solarium on the port side and there was a drone just outside the ship looking in. Nothing to do but wave at it, as there is no expectation of privacy on a cruise ship deck. I have watched many of these on youtube, and are very entertaining to watch. I am sure it was someone that was flying it from the beach, as it was just as we were passing the condo's and exiting the port.

Also, not really sure there is an expectation of privacy on a balcony either, as there are cameras all over the exterior of the ship facing the balconies. I would think "private balcony" really only refers to its use. Not sure if there is a policy that clarifies this on RCI or not.

On our Ovation cruise from Singapore to China, with stops in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Korea, on an excursion to Da Nang and Hue, one of our fellow tourists I first noticed him flying his drone at the beach in Da Nang, then the next stop was at a shrine to a female Buddha (Buddha was male), he was flying it taking pictures slowly going up the side of a 8 to 12 story female Buddha. Kind of makes you wonder where else he flies the drone...

JC

When we were departing FLL a week ago, I was sitting in the Solarium on the port side and there was a drone just outside the ship looking in. Nothing to do but wave at it, as there is no expectation of privacy on a cruise ship deck. I have watched many of these on youtube, and are very entertaining to watch. I am sure it was someone that was flying it from the beach, as it was just as we were passing the condo's and exiting the port.

Also, not really sure there is an expectation of privacy on a balcony either, as there are cameras all over the exterior of the ship facing the balconies. I would think "private balcony" really only refers to its use. Not sure if there is a policy that clarifies this on RCI or not.

They are facing down the sides of the ship but cannot see on the balconies themselves. It would be fine for one to land on my balcony, I would love to see what they look like. In little pieces, under my foot........

Sent from my K88 using Forums mobile app

Official response from RCI

Thank you for contacting the Shore Excursions Inquiry Team. We hope this email finds you well.

Kindly note all drones detected during the embarkation process will be confiscated, stored by our on board staff and will be returned to the guest only at the end of the voyage.

Please note each country (and port) has it's own policies in regards to Drones, therefore it is the guest's responsibility to get all written permissions to use the drones at port. You can speak to our onboard team to request an exception on the drone usage, to be used ONLY at port. The guests wanting to use their drones must present all written permissions from local authorities on board with our on board team. Even though we cannot guarantee it, in some cases exceptions are granted.

Regards,

I agree fully. As long as you are considerate of others, its no different then folks with a regular camera really. Just a different angle! Not sure why some automatically figure one would use this for evil or in fact want them in their footage anyway.

Fins up!

It's not a photo camera, it's a video camera. Watch YouTube videos of people doing tours of the cruise ships and you'll see plenty of nasty looks and people doing everything they can to avoid the person filming.

Remember Google Glass, and all the hubbub that created?

The bottom line is, the majority of people do not like to be filmed by strangers (and some even by family). This thread has many examples.

This drone is an item that is banned from the ship plain and simple. If you take the drone can another passenger take a shotgun so that they can clay shoot on shore (perhaps mistaking your drone in the process)?

Prove it, about the drone, not the absurd analogy.

Good neutral post not adding to the anti-drone hysteria. (The no phones in a restaurant topic this decade) I don't have the link, but if some of you have a smart tv search for drone footage of Allure leaving Port Everglades, this was a high end drone capable of flying miles from the operator and returning with a high end camera. It is spectacular.

It's not a photo camera, it's a video camera. Watch YouTube videos of people doing tours of the cruise ships and you'll see plenty of nasty looks and people doing everything they can to avoid the person filming.

Remember Google Glass, and all the hubbub that created?

The bottom line is, the majority of people do not like to be filmed by strangers (and some even by family). This thread has many examples.

In fact it’s both. A drone can take both video and still shots. I’m not even going to acknowledge the rest of your comment! At the end of the day it’s about respect on all fronts! People use their cameras to both film (video) and take still shots. The drone simply provides a different perspective. Having a camera of any type is part of a vacation experience and a right in a public domain. Oh darn... I just acknowledged the rest of your comment!

Good neutral post not adding to the anti-drone hysteria. (The no phones in a restaurant topic this decade) I don't have the link, but if some of you have a smart tv search for drone footage of Allure leaving Port Everglades, this was a high end drone capable of flying miles from the operator and returning with a high end camera. It is spectacular.

That is, or is similar to the one I am thinking of. This guy took off from the beach, flew towards the exit of the port as the Allure was leaving. It was so clear, and amazing. I watched it over and over.

That is, or is similar to the one I am thinking of. This guy took off from the beach, flew towards the exit of the port as the Allure was leaving. It was so clear, and amazing. I watched it over and over.

Is this the one?

• 2 months later...

There was a drone on starboard side side of Liberty yesterday evening as we sailed from Roatan.

I was alarmed and dismayed by this invasion of privacy Nobody expects a camera to be aimed at his/ her balcony( at least not directly into it). Would it be any different if I reached around the balcony divider and took photos toward your cabin?

On a January 2018 Oasis cruise, we met a couple using a drone at the far end of Labadee. He was filming the area and getting terrific shots of the two of them. ( he was kind enough to tell us about his drone, and show us a few shots) We were past the beach bed loungers and the area was sparsely populated. There was a guard nearby ( to keep people off the rocks) , who did not seem to care about the drone. I did not ask the couple if they used it on any other port stop .

M

Considering it is my vacation too I feel I have the choice to spend it however I feel as long as it is legal. Add to that there will be no dvd's on my excursions to buy.

Drones must now be registered in the US and I’m guessing their use near large pubic carriers is heavily restricted. Regardless, it may be your vacation, but once you board a public carrier like a ship or a plane your rights are far more restricted than the laws you follow at home. So when you sign your cruise contract you agreed to behave a certain way and some of this is not covered by a law.