Entertainment changes again

LOP

I think that Azamara may go with a different entertainment agency who will source and book the guest entertainers for them. I don't think the previous guest entertainers onboard will be part of that.

It is way beyond time that the production shows are revamped. I have been watching Voices three or four times a year since 2011 and am truly fed up with it, although it was good the first few times. I rarely go to the cabaret shoes now as I have seen them so many times, as have many of the repeat Azamara cruisers. However I do adore the dance shows, especially Sasha and Dima. They came up with some marvellous new dances on our last cruise in October.

With only two exceptions, Bruce Parker and Virtuoso, personally I wouldn't have a problem with a complete change of the "old" guest entertainers. Most of them may be nice people, but their shows just weren't that good. However, I might have seen Bruce's show at least 12 times but I think he is fantastic, as are the very talented pianist and clarinet player guys from Virtuoso. Could listen to them for hours.

What I really won't like is the loss of the piano player in Spirits, if that goes ahead. That seriously would make me rethink my thoughts of Azamara as a cruise line of choice. I can't think that Azamara management would do that though, as that space is so suited for piano music but not band music. It was deafening in there once the band started and we left immediately.

I agree with Ann that it will all begin to change around the World Cruise time as Azamara could not expect those onboard for a World Cruise to watch the same shows week after week. Just please keep Max and Ed!

We were on a 23-day segment of Oceania's World Cruise in 2015 and that ws a complaint by several of the guests that were on the entire cruise. They still had several (I think it was 4) production shows and guest entertainers. My wife and I agreed that it would be boring and in our opinion, their production shows were not that good and the guest entertainers definitely did not come up to what we've experienced on Azamara.

Having said that, I agree that repeat passengers almost all get tired of the production shows. We sailed a lot more on Celebrity than Azamara in the past 5 years (18 on Cel and 7 on AZ) and, even with more Celebrity ships, we've seen the same shows over and over.

I am growing very concerned that our Azamara cruising may be coming to an end or at least dwindling to very few. We sail in Club Continent Suites and sales for those are fewer and fewer. If they take away the loyalty discount that brings them down to a (barely) acceptable cost, we'll have to look elsewhere. Azamara is definitely a better experience than Celebrity in our opinion, but it isn't worth the difference at essentially full price. And we have good friends who like Regent as much if not more than Azamara who keep asking us to try it. With all the apparent (but hopefully not all to come to pass) changes being discussed, I worry that the three Azamara cruises we have booked may be the last.

I love the jazz brunch. I prefer to sit where I. Can see and hear them. Once last summer sitting where I could not. Since the piano was moved years ago just not the same. Maybe they will make Spirits a real piano bar with no gaming.

The ship I am on now has three places at night for live music plus the show room.

Never had a reason to leave White Night party due to sound.

Never had a reason to leave White Night party due to sound.

Nor had we until recently - I do not think the current technicians were as good at balancing the sound - I also find one cruise director likes it a lot louder than the other two which does affect things. Jazz lunch was way way too loud in September, we moved tables so we could talk with others. Again I say it was a technical issue that could have been solved in a split second!!!!

We mentioned the loudness of the music in Jazz Brunch in May on Quest and asked maybe if we could occasionally have music other than jazz being played? Not everyone likes jazz and it's certainly not always at an appropriate level for conversation in the MDR.

As part of our continued efforts to provide you with the finest entertainment at sea, we’re currently reimagining our onboard programming based on feedback from our valued guests.

Rest assured, we’ll continue to offer evening showcases and live music before and after dinner.

We look forward to sharing these exciting new enhancements with you in early 2018.

As part of our continued efforts to provide you with the finest entertainment at sea, we’re currently reimagining our onboard programming based on feedback from our valued guests.

Rest assured, we’ll continue to offer evening showcases and live music before and after dinner.

We look forward to sharing these exciting new enhancements with you in early 2018.

Thank you Bonnie. We just hope the "live music" includes Ed and Max and not just an abbreviated version of the band. I like lively but not loud.

We mentioned the loudness of the music in Jazz Brunch in May on Quest and asked maybe if we could occasionally have music other than jazz being played? Not everyone likes jazz and it's certainly not always at an appropriate level for conversation in the MDR.

I enjoy a lot the jazz brunch. I do not mind not doing any conversation during that brunch if I am being entertained with good jazz music. I agree with you that not everybody likes jazz but this is exactly what makes that brunch special. Since this event is free seating, one can also look for a table, which is not near to the band.

I enjoy a lot the jazz brunch. I do not mind not doing any conversation during that brunch if I am being entertained with good jazz music. I agree with you that not everybody likes jazz but this is exactly what makes that brunch special. Since this event is free seating, one can also look for a table, which is not near to the band.

We tried to look for a table away from the loud band....but it seemed that everyone else had the same idea! :D

We tried to look for a table away from the loud band....but it seemed that everyone else had the same idea! :D

Two options: going early to secure the table of your preference or not going to the jazz brunch. To have a jazz brunch without jazz would be like having the dim sum brunch without dim sum;)

We would be about the only couple who consistently dance in the Living room early in the evening before the disco a highlight of our evening.

The jazz brunch is also a great feature only once a cruise on a sea day - surely there are plenty of other times for conversation.

White Nights can be variable on our recent Red Sea cruise the music was far too loud even for us.

Peter and Trish

I’d like to think that the peripheral performers like the pianists and guitarists will remain and perhaps there will be room for a rethink and have something like a string quartet or harpist or other live music. It will be the production shows and guest entertainer slots that change.

I was saying to a friend yesterday (as this thread had me thinking) that whilst the orchestra are great to have, I find on a few occasions that they are way too loud for me at things like the jazz brunch. Dare I say that a couple of cruises ago we retreated to Spirits on White Night because once again the music was just too loud for me. Well, all of us at our table and we weren’t near the stage. Maybe as I get older my ears become more sensitive, but at 53 I don’t consider myself that old. They are a big orchestra for a small ship.

Phil

Phil, you are most definitely not old! I agree the band is often (but not always) way too loud in all venues to be a pleasing experience.

Our most recent cruises in November featured Ed on piano at the brunch in Discoveries.

On previous occasions we have had the table in the corner to the left of the entrance to the restaurant for Jazz brunches which has been quite enjoyable.

We have enjoyed many White Nights, in June at a table quite near the stage, but in November on both cruises, like you Phil we found the "music" far too loud to be enjoyable even at a table away from both stage and speakers. I say "music" in inverted commas, because at that volume it is not music!

Trish

Nor had we until recently - I do not think the current technicians were as good at balancing the sound - I also find one cruise director likes it a lot louder than the other two which does affect things. Jazz lunch was way way too loud in September, we moved tables so we could talk with others. Again I say it was a technical issue that could have been solved in a split second!!!!

Ann

I was on during the summer and White Night was fine for me. I had lunch with Johaness as it was my bday, we were so far away from the band it was fine. But maybe the tech people switch by oct when you were on.

I also agree with you that White Nights varies by CD. Just had to do one inside. Was not to loud.

I am in another band of ship right now. Went to a fashion show today. Point was the mikes were to high..maybe bass and really had trouble understanding the words.

On Quest now and just heard from a very reliable source that live piano music will be gone !! There will be piped in music in Spirits !! So sad that Azamara has decided to go this route. Thouroughly enjoyed listening to Max ,Ed, and Simon as have many others, Can not understand how Azamara seems to be abandoning their loyal cruisers enjoyment all for the sake of saving a few $$.

Also 2 pieces of the brass section are going from the orchestra. Prices have increased significantly and onboard ambiance is disappearing. Looks like a lot of us will be trying other lines. Come on Azamara you are supposed to be semi luxury if I am not mistaken, keep the pianists. Please don’t let them go the way of the harpist

Bonnie, I am finding it a bit difficult to "rest assured" after reading the following post #41 by munch1 . . .

"On Quest now and just heard from a very reliable source that live piano music will be gone !! There will be piped in music in Spirits !! So sad that Azamara has decided to go this route. Thouroughly enjoyed listening to Max ,Ed, and Simon as have many others, Can not understand how Azamara seems to be abandoning their loyal cruisers enjoyment all for the sake of saving a few $$.

Also 2 pieces of the brass section are going from the orchestra. Prices have increased significantly and onboard ambiance is disappearing. Looks like a lot of us will be trying other lines. Come on Azamara you are supposed to be semi luxury if I am not mistaken, keep the pianists. Please don’t let them go the way of the harpist"

Do you perhaps have an update for us?

I cannot see how, if what Munch reported is what happens, that guest feedback led to that decision given the generic nature of the entertainment question in the end of cruise survey.

Piped muzak- I won’t call it music does not work at all for me. OK they might be reimagining the Living Room early evening but where do we go later in the evening? The DJ starts at 2230 loud regardless of guest preferences (aka during special scenic cruising in Norway) and one DJ in particular (whom we did feedback on) saw guests not up dancing as people regarding converting or chasing away by cranking up the volume.

We need a venue like Spirits with an engaging piano player.

I have no issue with a slightly smaller orchestra and no “production shows” if the calibre of the replacement performances is good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by uktog

I wouldn't necessarily take sources from the ship as reliable, whoever they are. Rumours get there too. At the end of the day it's Miami who make the decisions and we will have to wait and see. However I know they read this board and I'll endorse what others have said. Live music from pianists like Max and Ed and guitarist Simon would be very much missed by many. They form part of the onboard atmosphere at all times of the day.

Phil

I agree, but the sources are getting way too credible to be ignored now. We will have to wait and see as Phil says, no one likes change, but if it’s well thought through change that is based on sound non biased evidence it may well work.

I really would like a more conclusive statement about Spirits though, I was really happy when I heard about it being enlarged and thought great, perfect piano bar, now I am less sure.

I can see the orchestra being reduced as a fair and reasonable decision. Not all ships of this size has a 7 man band and this change would not necessarily affect the entertainement quality. Taking away guitarist and piano player is way more serious.

I will also throw in a comment about the DJ in the Living Room. Do they prepare at all? Sometimes you get CD announcing different themed nights in the Living Room, like ABBA night, and they play four tunes before they move on to auto. IMO the DJ could just go..........to sleep. The CD responsible for picking out the DJs should at least have some quality criteria before they put «anyone» to do the job.

If Azamara need to save $$ my vote would be to change the Azamazing Evenings to be an excursion type event which would be at an extra cost - everyone seems to have far too much OBC

I agree, I would be happy to see the end of Azamazing evenings. I hate having to eat early, in a crowded rushed buffet environment. The hassle of getting 600 people to and from a venue for what amounts to 45 - 60 mins worth of entertainment out weighs any enjoyment. Somewhere in the cost of my cruise fare I have paid for the Azamazing evening so I go, but it is something I could really do without. It is certainly not a selling point for me.

I can see the orchestra being reduced as a fair and reasonable decision. Not all ships of this size has a 7 man band and this change would not necessarily affect the entertainement quality. Taking away guitarist and piano player is way more serious.

I will also throw in a comment about the DJ in the Living Room. Do they prepare at all? Sometimes you get CD announcing different themed nights in the Living Room, like ABBA night, and they play four tunes before they move on to auto. IMO the DJ could just go..........to sleep. The CD responsible for picking out the DJs should at least have some quality criteria before they put «anyone» to do the job.

I agree, go or become more professional. Another case and point, he starts at 2230 on the dot. ABBA night is often the night of the cruise directors show so it’s 1050 on average before you get to the Living Room. Last cruise we got 3 ABBA songs when we asked for more we got a very very curt it started at 1030, where were you. They should reschedule the main disco for 11 ok have music from earlier. Or alternatively perhaps DJs could use initiative, be customer focussed, it can’t be too difficult to get a call from Deck 5 when the Cabaret lounge is clear

But I would agree I consider one Azamara DJ to be an absolute pro, one is ok and one is totally unprofessional- but we did include the feedback post cruise on that one.

I don’t think the Azamazing evening can be a pay or not, I can see too many issues booking venues etc so it has to be and all or nothing imho. If they drop it that would not drive me away from Azamara though I love the evenings, but the rumoured (accept it’s still rumoured) changes on either onboard bookings for LCV or removing piano players without an easy listening bar alternative are much much more likely to.