Entertainment changes again

LOP

I agree, go or become more professional. Another case and point, he starts at 2230 on the dot. ABBA night is often the night of the cruise directors show so it’s 1050 on average before you get to the Living Room. Last cruise we got 3 ABBA songs when we asked for more we got a very very curt it started at 1030, where were you. They should reschedule the main disco for 11 ok have music from earlier. Or alternatively perhaps DJs could use initiative, be customer focussed, it can’t be too difficult to get a call from Deck 5 when the Cabaret lounge is clear

But I would agree I consider one Azamara DJ to be an absolute pro, one is ok and one is totally unprofessional- but we did include the feedback post cruise on that one.

I don’t think the Azamazing evening can be a pay or not, I can see too many issues booking venues etc so it has to be and all or nothing imho. If they drop it that would not drive me away from Azamara though I love the evenings, but the rumoured (accept it’s still rumoured) changes on either onboard bookings for LCV or removing piano players without an easy listening bar alternative are much much more likely to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I completely agree! Azamazing evenings are sometimes good and sometimes bad but certainly something I can do without. Muzak in place of live piano or guitar players would be a non starter for me. Ugh. After our January cruise we have one more booked and, to be honest, I am already looking for an alternative just in case.

I'm interested as to how many patrons gather to listen to the pianist and guitar player.

Is there a particular location or time that is most popular?

We enjoy listening to live music, especially the pianists, in Spirits. However, often we are embarrassed to leave since the audience is so sparse.

On our October/November cruise on the Journey, The DJ Marcio was brilliant. He actively sought requests, and played them, he was laughing and joking with people and added massively to the atmosphere in the Living Room

I am glad Marcio is back onboard :)

This rumored suggestion of substantial reductions of live music/musicians strikes me as another example of death by a thousand cuts.

My wife and I took our first Azamara cruise last year and one of the reasons we are now signed up for two more was the atmosphere we found on-board, which is greatly enhanced by live music, whether it was delightful background piano and guitar music or a swinging performance by the excellent orchestra. The interaction between good live musicians and the audience creates an atmosphere that just cannot be duplicated by recorded music.

If I want canned Muzak I'll head down to the local mall or ride a hotel elevator. I am certainly not going to pay AZ prices going forward for such a low-brow entertainment experience.

On our October/November cruise on the Journey, The DJ Marcio was brilliant. He actively sought requests, and played them, he was laughing and joking with people and added massively to the atmosphere in the Living Room

Agree he was brilliant, hope he is onboard for our next cruise.

I wouldn't necessarily take sources from the ship as reliable, whoever they are. Rumours get there too. At the end of the day it's Miami who make the decisions and we will have to wait and see. However I know they read this board and I'll endorse what others have said. Live music from pianists like Max and Ed and guitarist Simon would be very much missed by many. They form part of the onboard atmosphere at all times of the day.

Phil

You are certainly right about how our wonderful live music entertainers Max, Ed & Simon would be missed if this "rumor" is true. We love the ambience live music provides and currently hope to hear it on our next four cruises early next year. If Azamara decides to eliminate this (substituting canned music?) we may start looking elsewhere because this type of entertainment is what drew us to Azamara in the first place. In the past, Azamara has listened and rethought what they had planned to do when loyal Azamara cruisers spoke up. I hope Bonnie will let them know that a majority of us are not and will not be happy if the live music goes.

This post reminds me very much of the posts associated with the removal of the harpist. Everyone was upset, but the harpist is gone, and during the last renovation the harp went too. It seems that Azamara will push the cost saving envelope as long as they can get away with it. The only really important vote is with your wallet, only when ships start sailing without a full complement of passengers, or Azamara has to deeply discount cruise prices to fill ships will this stop. Just my opinion.

Until Bonnie informs us about the new entertainment in the New Year I am going to assume this is an unwelcome rumour because the thought of piped music replacing Ed, Max and Simon is too horrible to contemplate.

And it could be a deal breaker for me.

Having a third ship join the Azamara family is wonderful but if the offerings on the ships are trashed to pay for it seems not to be a great strategy and I really really hope this is not the case.

If the budget has to be reduced I am with those who could live with the Azamazing Evenings being discontinued.

This post reminds me very much of the posts associated with the removal of the harpist. Everyone was upset, but the harpist is gone, and during the last renovation the harp went too. It seems that Azamara will push the cost saving envelope as long as they can get away with it. The only really important vote is with your wallet, only when ships start sailing without a full complement of passengers, or Azamara has to deeply discount cruise prices to fill ships will this stop. Just my opinion.

I am sorry to say this but you are probably correct.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Until Bonnie informs us about the new entertainment in the New Year I am going to assume this is an unwelcome rumour because the thought of piped music replacing Ed, Max and Simon is too horrible to contemplate.

And it could be a deal breaker for me.

Having a third ship join the Azamara family is wonderful but if the offerings on the ships are trashed to pay for it seems not to be a great strategy and I really really hope this is not the case.

If the budget has to be reduced I am with those who could live with the Azamazing Evenings being discontinued.

I totally disagree with your statement regarding Amazing Evenings. While some a forgettable others are the highlight of the cruise. I would truly miss them.

I have been thinking why I have always found entertainment being not good on Azamara ships. It is evident that every body is trying his/her best. Why is this not enough to convince?

First on the production shows, the dances seem more like acrobatics than dance and always the same independently of the music played.

Second the music played seem to be something that I have never heard before. Actually I do not recognize the songs. I think I would like very much to hear music which is internationally known and for people that are over 55 years old. Abba is always good but what else?

Third most guest entertainers do not really improve the feeling. Quality varies...

Fourth the cruise directors night is not really imho the best performance. I seem to like those nights more in the Quest than on the Journey.

I am sure there are other reasons but those seem to be important to me.

I would welcome more local entertainment in the ports of call in which we are staying longer. In general I have found those good.

Azamazing evenings is for me a plus. Some evenings are not so good like the one in Wadi Rum near Aqaba that advertised a Bedouin experience and delivered an artificial entertainment, which actually was not worth it the trip there. But the one in Dubai at the Jumeirah Beach hotel was very good. Also the one in Sant Petersburg or in Buenos Aires.

I like the life music, although I do not like the setting of the Bar in which you can hear the slots machine or the TVs are on. I certainly like the band. If reducing the number of members would reduce the quality of the bands performance, I do not know. The question is why Azamara wants to do that? Reducing costs? I guess I would not mind this if the price level would at least remain, but by increasing cruise fares?...

I totally disagree with your statement regarding Amazing Evenings. While some a forgettable others are the highlight of the cruise. I would truly miss them.

I agree with you ArizonaSunshine. I’ve always enjoyed our azamazing evenings and would be sorry to see them go. They are all experiences I wouldn’t have had if I’d organised on my own. I believe it’s all part of the ‘destination immersion’ which Azamara is well known for. There’s no doubt the entertainment is due for a ‘refresh’ I personally wouldn’t like to see the piano or guitar players disappear. No one likes change but at the end of the day they are running a business so if it’s not want you want look elsewhere. The numbers will vindicate their business decisions. There’s plenty of options in the competitive price range. All for expressing thoughts on this forum but I don’t tend to listen to speculations or rumours. Sometimes change can be healthy, I guess we’ll find out in about 15 weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Muzak is antithetical to the Azamara experience.

One of the nicest things about Azamara - a non-flag waving, subtle nicety - is the lovely lack of canned music and constant loudspeaker announcements. One is able to sense that one is at sea.

We have 11 sea days coming up on a pair of B2Bs starting in Feb. I am slightly terrified at the thought of all that time onboard with live musicians heard only during the "big" shows, and those shows with possibly no dancers.

The harpist was wonderful, is gone, and has been duly mourned.

Rumblings are the guitarists are next. If so, IMO this is not good news.

Disagreements are healthy but as far as I know there has been no talk about the demise of the Azamazing Evenings.

In a perfect world we will still be offered them alongside the piano players and the guitarists.

Hopefully Bonnie will be able to update us all of the new plans early in the New Year.

I agree with you ArizonaSunshine. I’ve always enjoyed our azamazing evenings and would be sorry to see them go. They are all experiences I wouldn’t have had if I’d organised on my own. I believe it’s all part of the ‘destination immersion’ which Azamara is well known for. There’s no doubt the entertainment is due for a ‘refresh’ I personally wouldn’t like to see the piano or guitar players disappear. No one likes change but at the end of the day they are running a business so if it’s not want you want look elsewhere. The numbers will vindicate their business decisions. There’s plenty of options in the competitive price range. All for expressing thoughts on this forum but I don’t tend to listen to speculations or rumours. Sometimes change can be healthy, I guess we’ll find out in about 15 weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We enjoy listening to the guitarist/pianist pre/post dinner and would be most dis-heartened if they were to "disappear".

We have no Azamara cruises booked for 2018 ( for the first time since 2008!) but have already booked Pursuit for 2019 so are hoping that they will provide some pre/post dining "live" entertainment - we do not want to hear "muzak". We have already paid our (UK and not inconsiderable) deposit and would be reluctant to lose it and so it is quite difficult for us to "look elsewhere" ... at least for this cruise.

Edited by workingtocruise-59

We enjoy listening to the guitarist/pianist pre/post dinner and would be most dis-heartened if they were to "disappear".

We have no Azamara cruises booked for 2018 ( for the first time since 2008!) but have already booked Pursuit for 2019 so are hoping that they will provide some pre/post dining "live" entertainment - we do not want to hear "muzak". We have already paid our (UK and not inconsiderable) deposit and would be reluctant to lose it and so it is quite difficult for us to "look elsewhere" ... at least for this cruise.

Maybe we will find out more at Le Club Voyage event in London on Monday. Look forward to seeing you again.

This rumored suggestion of substantial reductions of live music/musicians strikes me as another example of death by a thousand cuts.

My wife and I took our first Azamara cruise last year and one of the reasons we are now signed up for two more was the atmosphere we found on-board, which is greatly enhanced by live music, whether it was delightful background piano and guitar music or a swinging performance by the excellent orchestra. The interaction between good live musicians and the audience creates an atmosphere that just cannot be duplicated by recorded music.

If I want canned Muzak I'll head down to the local mall or ride a hotel elevator. I am certainly not going to pay AZ prices going forward for such a low-brow entertainment experience.

Precisely!

Thanks for saving me having to type all of that; it's exactly what I was thinking. It would be a sad game-changer for me.

Melissa

Sadly I do know for a fact ....and it's most definitely not just a rumour, that the piano players in Spirits bar will be no more after the end of March 2018. It is really going to be a deal breaker for me.

Whether they will have a mixture of the "reduced" band playing and canned Muzak is immaterial to me. Spirits is just meant to be a piano bar with live music being played. I don't know what the Miami bean counters are thinking of, but personally I think it's a huge mistake to lose such talented performers as Max and Ed. They are a big part of what makes that Azamara vibe special.

Sadly I do know for a fact ....and it's most definitely not just a rumour, that the piano players in Spirits bar will be no more after the end of March 2018. It is really going to be a deal breaker for me.

Whether they will have a mixture of the "reduced" band playing and canned Muzak is immaterial to me. Spirits is just meant to be a piano bar with live music being played. I don't know what the Miami bean counters are thinking of, but personally I think it's a huge mistake to lose such talented performers as Max and Ed. They are a big part of what makes that Azamara vibe special.

I hope you can get the opportunity to express views at the tea party. Piano bar (or guitar) entertainment is what works for a large % of their current sailing guests. Now of course maybe those guests are no longer the target audience. We will be on straight after the change and our experiences then will very much drive our future purchasing decisions.

I hope you can get the opportunity to express views at the tea party. Piano bar (or guitar) entertainment is what works for a large % of their current sailing guests. Now of course maybe those guests are no longer the target audience. We will be on straight after the change and our experiences then will very much drive our future purchasing decisions.

Don't worry Ann, if the right opportunity presents itself at the LCV event next week then I will certainly make my views known.

I also intend to clarify whether we can still choose the old LCV loyalty discounts when booking or whether we only have the option of that useless (to higher loyalty tier members anyway) new benefit package.

Don't worry Ann, if the right opportunity presents itself at the LCV event next week then I will certainly make my views known.

I also intend to clarify whether we can still choose the old LCV loyalty discounts when booking or whether we only have the option of that useless (to higher loyalty tier members anyway) new benefit package.

Lottie or others

New benefit package! Did I miss something?

I am booked next summer. Any cruises after that can be canceled. The line I am on right now has three venues at night for live music. Plus a tiny dance club.

I love my late nights in ports but music is in my soul we. At have live music,