Disappo9inting places to visit?

babs135

Now here's one that really was a big letdown:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Northern-Territory/Renner-Springs/2005/02/17/1108500201661.html

Same year...came across from Kununurra...and "Churchill's Head" was on the map....what a groaner!

LOL, I haven't seen it and I imagine hat would be the case even if I had visited 'Churchill's head' rock.;p

I haven’t been to many places on that list, and while madam Tussaud’s and the mall of America have never been on my to do list. I still plan on seeing Giza some day. I would definitely add Pisa and Nassau though, been there once and no interest in ever returning.

I do love times square though. I get that there’s nothing to ‘see’ there but it just carries its own energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

I suppose any place that is really dependent on the weather for it's appeal, (Like a beach on a rainy day) can be a disappointment.

I remember, back when, a guy from Maree, SA, advertised a 7 year old unused rain gauge as a dust gauge. :D

(Having been through Maree a few times, it wouldn't matter what the weather was like there.)

Some Americans asked us if Uluru was a good place to visit. I answered that I thought it was worth it, as it had a meaning for me but then it may not for someone else. Part of what makes a destination is what you do there. A helicopter flight over the area or a walk with a guide would make it so much better and interesting than just going to a lookout. Then for some people it is just a big rock and the grand canyon is just a big hole.

Venice should be on the list. A dump with a few nice buildings...which are now falling into disrepair.

I have to say I completely feel the opposite about Venice. For those with a love of history and art, Venice is fabulous, and its engineering is fascinating. I have visited several times and each time discover something new.

But to appreciate Venice you need to spend a couple of nights in the city. No day trips in and out.

Yes - a McDonald's burger spot can be "appreciated" in fifteen minutes, and the "biggest ball of twine" , which I believe is in Cawker City, Kansas, can probably be fully appreciated in ten seconds. And, there still seems to be people who are happy to say "been there, seen it" after a couple of hours in Rome or Venice - mindlessly equating destinations.

Yes - a McDonald's burger spot can be "appreciated" in fifteen minutes, and the "biggest ball of twine" , which I believe is in Cawker City, Kansas, can probably be fully appreciated in ten seconds. And, there still seems to be people who are happy to say "been there, seen it" after a couple of hours in Rome or Venice - mindlessly equating destinations.

Reminds me of the folks who post on the Italy ports of call forum saying they've "done" Rome and are looking for an alternative on their next cruise. When pressed, a great many of them reveal that they've "done" Rome in a single port day from a previous cruise. :rolleyes:

I also enjoy talking to those onboard ship who come back from their private tours raving about how they've seen "everything" in Rome. Often, they cannot name more than one or two of the laundry list of sites they checked off in their few hours in the city....

I have to admit, I have never found anyplace disappointing if it were my first time seeing it. However, there have been a few places where one day was more than enough. Also, there have been places where it has changed so much over the years, that I regretted going back. For example,Maui had only two hotels when I first saw it over fifty years ago, and 15 years (with a huge increase in tourism) has not helped Iceland.