Disappo9inting places to visit?

babs135

Agree somewhat. But, I gotta say go ahead and go. Make of it what you will. Example: The Blarney Castle. We skipped the stone, too cliche', line too long. And they were charging an extra fee. We did, however, have a good time roaming around the castle grounds for a couple of hours. Charming and picturesque. Times Square: big, noisy, dirty. But once was kind of fascinating and we were in New York AND we saw a show. Fairly awesome day. Same with Loch Ness. Much ado about nothing really, but getting there was half the fun. We took a private tour and wandered all over the back roads of the Highlands before stopping on the shores of Loch Ness for one of my all time favorite photos of my sister and I.

Not sure who said it, but one of my favorite quotes is: "Life is a journey, not a destination." For me, the same holds true for just about anything, especially travel.

I like this comment and feel the same way. Niagara Falls was kind of underwhelming for us, but we'll always remember the adventure we had that day fondly (and it does get brought up occasionally). I don't remember much about the small part of the Grand Canyon we saw on our short trip there, but I remember it being our first ever family road trip. We've been to an impressive amount of places and there aren't any that I would say you 'have' to see, just go out and see something. Enjoy the trip.

I disagree with Dubai. We had a fantastic three days there. Canals surrounded our hotel with beautiful landscaping and service. Beach out front was great. We loved the gold and spice souks. My personal favorite was seeing people in the evening wearing gorgeous clothing from their countries ball around the world. (We skipped all the tourist traps and maybe that’s why we loved it)

I disagree with Dubai. We had a fantastic three days there. Canals surrounded our hotel with beautiful landscaping and service. Beach out front was great. We loved the gold and spice souks. My personal favorite was seeing people in the evening wearing gorgeous clothing from their countries ball around the world. (We skipped all the tourist traps and maybe that’s why we loved it)
Sounds wonderful.:D

That list is a lot a balony :). We have been to nearly all of those places and most would not even make it on our personal worst places list. Our #1 worst place would be Constanta, Romania with a few African places running a close 2nd. Had to smile about Times Square being on the list....as its a very popular place with travelers from all over the world. And as to Loch Ness (been there twice) the area is absolutely stunning in its natural beauty. As to Dubai, it remains a very popular destination for many (especially "Brits). I suspect that author had his/her own agenda and has never visited places like Murmansk, Russia.

Hank

That list is a lot a balony :). We have been to nearly all of those places and most would not even make it on our personal worst places list. Our #1 worst place would be Constanta, Romania with a few African places running a close 2nd. Had to smile about Times Square being on the list....as its a very popular place with travelers from all over the world. And as to Loch Ness (been there twice) the area is absolutely stunning in its natural beauty. As to Dubai, it remains a very popular destination for many (especially "Brits). I suspect that author had his/her own agenda and has never visited places like Murmansk, Russia.

Hank

Always enjoy your posts, Hank. Laughed out loud when I got to the last sentence about Murmansk. Having been there I can also add Sakhalin Island, Russia, way on the other side of the country!

Patty

Disappointment will depend on your expectations -- whether what you were hoping to experience was realistic in the first place or not. The same place might be disappointing to someone and wonderful to someone else based entirely on the differences in what they were hoping to experience there. I can't imagine being disappointed by Mall of America, Lagos, or Mexico City as I have no expectations of something good there to entice me to go. On the other hand, I was continually fascinated by the prairie others though boring, because (apparently) I saw things that I loved that didn't matter to them.

Right!! Talk about poor maintenance.

Of course, the Italians are just as bad as the Greeks - have you seen the Colosseum?

Or Pompeii -- they've had 2,000 years to provide disaster relief to this poor city after Vesuvius erupted -- what are they waiting for? Fail. :cool:

I take it there are a number of places in New Jersey you have yet to see.

Funny you should say that. My husband's parents lived in New Jersey (Westfield) and we lived in N.J. for 2 years while my husband worked in NYC. Having spent quite a bit of time in the state, we saw lots of interesting places. Sure there are some seedy districts, but one of the liveliest parties I ever attended was in Newark, I enjoyed working part-time in Patterson, and Trenton has a great sculpture museum/garden. All 3 are places that many don't rank as 'interesting'

I have to agree about Pisa. Especially the pushy vendors.

One of my biggest disappointments was the Great Barrier Reef, but it was because of how we saw it. A commercial barge-like structure anchored over the reef.

The Terra Cotta Warriors in China were also not what I expected except I can't really tell you why.

Funny you should say that. My husband's parents lived in New Jersey (Westfield) and we lived in N.J. for 2 years while my husband worked in NYC. Having spent quite a bit of time in the state, we saw lots of interesting places. Sure there are some seedy districts, but one of the liveliest parties I ever attended was in Newark, I enjoyed working part-time in Patterson, and Trenton has a great sculpture museum/garden. All 3 are places that many don't rank as 'interesting'

I was referring to "a number of places in New Jersey" - not the whole state. Westfield, I know is pretty attractive -- the "horse country" around Gladstone, White House, etc. is downright beautiful - but then there's Camden, Secaucus, and the Vince Lombardi Service Area on the Turnpike --- WOW!