Quality of Laundry Service

April42749

We're getting ready to go on a 7 day cruise on the Getaway tomorrow. Since we get back on Dec 24th, my son and his family will need to do some laundry as they will immediately head off to visit family over XMAS the following day.

Does NCL offer special laundry bag deals on 7 day cruises or will they just have to do laundry in the Haven's laundromat as that's where our cabins are? If they have to use the laundromat, can you purchase soap there and what are the prices per load if anyone knows? Thanks!

Just answered my own questions by calling NCL. There are no laundromats on the Getaway. The rough prices are $2 for undergarments, $5 for shirts or blouses and $6 for pants. I guess we'll be using our OBC to help them pay for the laundry service.

Does NCL offer special laundry bag deals on 7 day cruises or will they just have to do laundry in the Haven's laundromat as that's where our cabins are? If they have to use the laundromat, can you purchase soap there and what are the prices per load if anyone knows? Thanks!

They did 1 $19.95 per bag special on my last 7 day cruise. No laundromat.

Never had any issues with laundry. I suggest someday doing a ship tour behind the scenes. The laundry facility is quite the set up. It also makes you appreciate how hard the crew works. Its one of the busiest parts of the ship with not only personal laundry but all the sheets and towels for the entire ship.

Agreed it is quite the set-up.

You can specify on the bag cold water wash if you prefer that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good to know. I didn't realize that.

We usually send underwear, PJs, Tees, and other sturdy items.

Everything came back clean, nicely folded, and not shrunk. I do fine washables in the sink, and hang them to dry on the clothesline in the shower.

Just got off Escape. I think they offered us the $19.95 special on Tuesday and our clothes were brought back on Wednesday. They did a nice job with the items we sent. They were all folded, wrapped in tissue paper and in a wicker basket which I though was a very nice touch.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of packing for our upcoming cruise, and I have come across some of those little iron-on laundry tags from our last cruise. I tend to leave them on because it always makes me smile when I see them and remember the cruise we wore the clothes on. I'm now pulling them off when I see them, but they really hid some of them well. Has anyone had an issue with laundry being lost (i.e. sent back to the wrong room) because the laundry service read an old tag? Or would they know by some sort of coding an old tag from a new?

I'm in the process of packing for our upcoming cruise, and I have come across some of those little iron-on laundry tags from our last cruise. I tend to leave them on because it always makes me smile when I see them and remember the cruise we wore the clothes on. I'm now pulling them off when I see them, but they really hid some of them well. Has anyone had an issue with laundry being lost (i.e. sent back to the wrong room) because the laundry service read an old tag? Or would they know by some sort of coding an old tag from a new?

On the Escape we sent out laundry and all ours came back ...but we got a bunch of other people's also.

I just left them in the wicker basket and told the steward to take them.

So now that you mentioned the tags...I suppose those other people's laundry had old tags on them with our cabin number.

I did not look to see. I just was like, why do we have other people's laundry? And I imagine the other people were wondering where their laundry was...

Overall my experience with the NCL laundry has been just fine - EXCEPT for those darn

scratchy ID tags iron glued to the collar or waist band in the most sensitive area.

I consider them my reminder of the cruise several years later...

• 1 month later...

Good info everyone - thanks!

I wondered about my 'always hang to dry tops'. I guess I will wash those myself. I would bring ones that could go in the dryer, but I really don't have many like that. Or will they wash but not dry your items? I can hang them to dry in the cabin.

do not send anything special, delicate or do not want to fade. Jeans, underwear, socks come back OK. anything 100 cotton that will shrink, WILL. Have used laundry services multiple times, just be very selective what you send out. Just my many experiences. Suggestion for washing many items; put in shower with you, use your feet as washing machine (lol) clothes get soapy wash and rinse well with shower, squeeze dry, then roll in bath towel, hang to dry. You can always send out for a press, which they do good, or ask to borrow iron and board for your room. Happy sailing

Good info everyone - thanks!

I wondered about my 'always hang to dry tops'. I guess I will wash those myself. I would bring ones that could go in the dryer, but I really don't have many like that. Or will they wash but not dry your items? I can hang them to dry in the cabin.

When they wash your clothes, they will be folded and placed in a basket for delivery to your room. Your clothes may sit for many hours until they are picked up for evening delivery.

Have never had a problem with any laundry sent out. Love when it comes back all clean and folded in that little wicker basket with tissue paper.

Hi, I am trying to understand what gets hung up and what gets folded.

Do long pants and slacks come folded or on hangers?

Do shorts come folded or on hangers?

Do soft ladies tops come folded or on hangers?

Those are the things I would hang up to avoid the need for much ironing.

When we tried the laundry on our last cruise, we only sent underwear. I didn't know what to mark on the slip, so I left it blank and they only folded the undershirts. The underpants for both of us and the socks were just dropped into the basket, no folding of any kind. So, I guess I will mark both the fold and hang and see if they do it the way I would. :)

Hi, I am trying to understand what gets hung up and what gets folded.

Do long pants and slacks come folded or on hangers?

Do shorts come folded or on hangers?

Do soft ladies tops come folded or on hangers?

Those are the things I would hang up to avoid the need for much ironing.

When we tried the laundry on our last cruise, we only sent underwear. I didn't know what to mark on the slip, so I left it blank and they only folded the undershirts. The underpants for both of us and the socks were just dropped into the basket, no folding of any kind. So, I guess I will mark both the fold and hang and see if they do it the way I would. :)

Long pants - hangers.

Dress shirts - hangers.

Soft tops, t-shirts - folded.

Underwear and socks - folded

• 3 months later...
We are going on the Getaway for the first time. Are there laundry facilities located on the decks? do they take tokens. What about supplies.

Thanks,

St Pete

No self-service laundry facilities.

We are going on the Getaway for the first time. Are there laundry facilities located on the decks? do they take tokens. What about supplies.

Thanks,

St Pete

No self serve laundry. Everything has to be submitted to the ship’s Laundry. On Day 4, they offer a fill-a-bag service for $20 returning on Day 6. Otherwise, you pay by the piece.

71e6ef67ef63d822d3d37f26d4a76c78.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

We've been pleased with ship's laundry (NCL and other) with one exception.

Among other items, I included a pair of black jeans (denim style, but just black denim).

They were favorites, and I'd laundered them at home *many* times.

Everything else in the laundry order was fine.

This one pair of jeans came back looking like they had been sandblasted to look "grubby".

The bottom edges of the legs were all frayed... not along any seam, but right along the very bottom where the material is folded over, with stitching a small bit above.

Same thing with many of the "edges", even including pocket edges.

I've never seen anything look like that, unless they were the ultra version of "sand washed" jeans that are typically faded, too.

There was no fading; just the fraying everywhere.

Unfortunately, because this was at the end of a cruise, I didn't fully notice until we got home, because I didn't wear them again on the cruise.

(I'm not sure what would have been done anyway, IF I had noticed on board. I had no proof of the condition prior.)

We try to avoid laundry on ships now, or use dry cleaning.

Does anyone remember what the cost is to launder jeans, vs. just pressing them?

GC

do not send anything special, delicate or do not want to fade. Jeans, underwear, socks come back OK. anything 100 cotton that will shrink, WILL. Have used laundry services multiple times, just be very selective what you send out. Just my many experiences. Suggestion for washing many items; put in shower with you, use your feet as washing machine (lol) clothes get soapy wash and rinse well with shower, squeeze dry, then roll in bath towel, hang to dry. You can always send out for a press, which they do good, or ask to borrow iron and board for your room. Happy sailing

LOVE this idea!

(Reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode of stomping on the grapes in the huge tub. :D )

That's a great idea, and then rinsing in with the shower.

Then just hang to dry, as with hand washables.

It's a "Why didn't I think of that!?" thing!

GC

• 6 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, asubaru said:

No. I'm sleeping on sheets and using towels that have been washed with 1000's of others. I imagine similar underwear substances/cooties are a potential on all mass washings 🙂

very good point 🙂