Do I need to set my iPhone to airplane mode as soon as I set foot on the ship...

Sudilly

You can leave it on until just before the ship gets into the Gulf(11:00pm-12:00am). When I was on the Triumph in February, I called the 800 number to find out which port side cove balconies were still available on the Dream for the cruise I was about to book onboard. I wasn't charged extra. I don't know if it matters, but I am on Verizon.

My first call was a little after 10:00pm. I had to call several times since the calls kept dropping. I called from cabin 1206, then next to the forward elevators on deck 1, then the stairs next to the forward elevators on deck 2, and then from a bench outside on deck 3 port side.

Or can I wait until sail away. I'm sailing from NOLA and Sprint is my carrier.

Sailing from NOLA, you'll be able to leave your phone on for about 7 hours after sail away. Like Tiger0613 said, turn it off once you're in the Gulf. You'll be fine while your still sailing down the river.

Our experience out of NOLA was that after you leave port your service will come and go as you pass oil rigs and refineries. It takes something like 7-8 hrs down the river until you get to the gulf. We had service like someone else said until 10 or 11pm.

I agree with kdpatte. I sail out of NOLA all the time and our reception is spotty about 30 mins or so after you leave port but you still have service. If you are not going to use your phone, go ahead and put it on airplane mode as soon as you leave that way you won't get charged. :D

The company makes available the WiFi and cellular roaming until there is no local signal. WiFi does not work when the ship is in port. At the time of power up you will see in the indicators of your mobile that there is already WiFi and Roaming.

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year

No, Airplane mode doesn't work on a cruise ship!

It only works in the air, thus: "Airplane" mode...

You must change carrier & also exchange that iPhone to the latest Samsung to get "Cruise Ship" mode... :)

Couldn't figure out the logic in your post.... then it hit me and I started to laugh! Thanks NavyCruiser for the chuckle!

'Cruise Ship' mode... I love it! ;p

No, you do not have to. The carrier name in the top left hand corner of your phone (if you have an iPhone) is who your phone is receiving service from. If it says "Sprint" or "Extended", you will be fine. If it says "Roaming" or anything else, I would flip it to airplane mood. I usually keep mine on until the land begins to fade away in the distance. It should remain on airplane mode until you return to the US, so if you are porting in Key West, you can also use it there. If you want wifi in the international ports, keep your airplane mode on, and then go to Settings, Wifi, and find a network to connect to. You can use wifi while being on airplane mode. Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just an FYI....Sprint allows you to use data in the ports at no extra charge. I was able to use my phone for texting, using apps, sending pictures, etc. when I cruised in August. Calling is not included so you will be charged if choose to make or receive calls. Also the free data is not included while on the ship while the ship is sailing. It's only while in port, meaning, when you are off the ship or if you are using it on the ship, the ship is docked. One more thing, the data is only 2G, so it is verrrrrrryyyyyy slow. You can call Sprint and purchase faster data for the time you are on the cruise. While you are on the ship, keep your phone in airplane mode.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

No, you do not have to. The carrier name in the top left hand corner of your phone (if you have an iPhone) is who your phone is receiving service from. If it says "Sprint" or "Extended", you will be fine. If it says "Roaming" or anything else, I would flip it to airplane mood. I usually keep mine on until the land begins to fade away in the distance. It should remain on airplane mode until you return to the US, so if you are porting in Key West, you can also use it there. If you want wifi in the international ports, keep your airplane mode on, and then go to Settings, Wifi, and find a network to connect to. You can use wifi while being on airplane mode. Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What I do, is turn off roaming in settings and then use my phone until I have no signal. If you see the dreaded “Cellular at Sea” at the top, go airplane mode immediately!

No, Airplane mode doesn't work on a cruise ship!

It only works in the air, thus: "Airplane" mode...

You must change carrier & also exchange that iPhone to the latest Samsung to get "Cruise Ship" mode... :)

With the lack of sense of humor on this website I was expecting many angry replies to your post. ;)

What the carriers are counting on is a lot of "Dumb" owners not knowing how to use their "Smart" phones, & how to turn off features that won't inadvert use the wrong carriers' minutes.... Meaning that some may not know hot to immediately change to "Airplane" mode & turn off data roaming. Most won't pay attention to the tiny "ATT", "T-Mobile", "Tel-Cel", or "Cruise Wifi Data"...

They're counting on: "Hey, I've got signal..." then use voice & data as normal

Until they come back home to find Hundreds or Thousands of $$$ on their bill from using voice & data outside of their network...