Safety Muster Videos

hac82

I would like other's opinions of the videos that are now shown at Muster.

We do understand the need to get people to wash their hands more frequently and the "Wash Your Hands" song is catchy. That really does not concern us because it is focused on the problem and brings it to the passengers in a light way. The other video though, left me and other passengers around me shaking our heads in disbelief. We could not understand why the company created a video that seemed to toss in the needed information regarding safety on the ship into a story line that is not related to safety. I do understand that many people do not take the safety drills seriously, especially if they have been on as many cruises as us or even more than us, but safety is not something that should be presented in an "entertaining" manner. Many of us at our muster station left wondering what has happened to Royal Caribbean and what do they think of us and our ability to absorb the safety information that they had to "dumb it down".

As I said, this is my opinion. I would like to hear what others think.

Edited by hac82

Agree the video is worthless in putting out essential info. Seems to be dumbed down to reach passengers who can't listen to info that would save lives. I never liked standing out in the weather on deck, but 15 minutes of discomfort might save my life. These videos are also being used on many airlines now, but those do give info clearly.

Haven't seen the new video but assume they are following the lead of Virgin America, and now United, in trying to make the safety video more likely to be watched. The new airline videos are so different that apparently people actually watch and pay attention.

I do not mind the use of a video, just please make the video direct and to the point. The "Wash Your Hands" video, even though it is cute, is directly to the point.

There has to be a better way to present the safety information without "hiding" it in part of another story line.

RCI should make their video more like United’s safety video:

It gets the point across efficiently while still being cute and somewhat entertaining. The problem with the current video is the storyline which muddles the actual information presented.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It gets the point across efficiently while still being cute and somewhat entertaining. The problem with the current video is the storyline which muddles the actual information presented.

Here are a couple of other videos RCi should take some hints from.

Here are a couple of other videos RCi should take some hints from.

I totally agree. These videos bring the safety issues directly to the passenger, albeit with a little humor. They are not hidden among the script of a story about catching a spy on the ship. In all of these, safety is the story.

Is this the video you all are talking about?

If so, I agree with you all that the story is a little cheesy- it's weird that two people would be explaining how the boat works to each other. I would prefer something a little shorter and more straightforward. But I do appreciate that Royal is trying to do something more than a dry explanation of safety procedures. Hopefully they can go more in the way of the airline safety videos. Many airlines are now using them not only for safety reasons, but as another marketing tool, which is partly why they've gotten more interesting in the past 5 years or so.

Personally, this is my favorite airline safety video of all time. It's one Virgin America put out a few years ago.

Is this the video you all are talking about?

If so, I agree with you all that the story is a little cheesy- it's weird that two people would be explaining how the boat works to each other. I would prefer something a little shorter and more straightforward. But I do appreciate that Royal is trying to do something more than a dry explanation of safety procedures. Hopefully they can go more in the way of the airline safety videos. Many airlines are now using them not only for safety reasons, but as another marketing tool, which is partly why they've gotten more interesting in the past 5 years or so.

Personally, this is my favorite airline safety video of all time. It's one Virgin America put out a few years ago.

Yes it is.

Ugh. . . That dreaded spy teddy bear video really irks me. I’ve seen it many times on Celebrity and Royal. It makes me want to walk the plank.

Just make sure your life vest is worn properly.:D

After I watched that video for the first time, I honestly could not believe that Royal created it. My above statement was tongue in cheek because in the video, they covered the proper wearing of the life vest with a video demonstration without the accompanying verbal instruction. If you blinked, you missed it.clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Edited by hac82

Just make sure your life vest is worn properly.:D

After I watched that video for the first time, I honestly could not believe that Royal created it. My above statement was tongue in cheek because in the video, they covered the proper wearing of the life vest with a video demonstration without the accompanying verbal instruction. If you blinked, you missed it.clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

A few cruises ago, the video failed to play on the screens nearest us. No one in our area saw it although we heard it. I chuckled and enjoyed that but when you think of new people just waiting to hate that video a first time, it's rather disgraceful.

So at first I thought the complaint was just that they tried to make it humorous and you thought it should be more serious.

But now that someone posted a link to the video and I (painfully) watched it, I can see it's legitimately awful.

It wastes a full minute and a half before mentioning anything relevant, then another 30 seconds before anything safety related is mentioned. 2 full minutes of the audience disengaging and tuning it out.

Doesn't seem to be good info being said anyways. No grabbing of your life jacket for muster? I admit it's been a little over 9 years since my last cruise but I vividly remember everyone being required to bring them with you, as you should in a real emergency. They don't even say how to put it on (like airline videos), they just talk about how 'cool' it is.

Then the last 3 minutes has nothing relevant at all. That's roughly five minutes out of the total eight minutes that have absolutely nothing to do with safety.

Compare that to an airlines video that's 3 minutes long in total, covers about 10 times the number of topics, and includes a 15 second thank you at the beginning.

So at first I thought the complaint was just that they tried to make it humorous and you thought it should be more serious.

But now that someone posted a link to the video and I (painfully) watched it, I can see it's legitimately awful.

It wastes a full minute and a half before mentioning anything relevant, then another 30 seconds before anything safety related is mentioned. 2 full minutes of the audience disengaging and tuning it out.

Doesn't seem to be good info being said anyways. No grabbing of your life jacket for muster? I admit it's been a little over 9 years since my last cruise but I vividly remember everyone being required to bring them with you, as you should in a real emergency. They don't even say how to put it on (like airline videos), they just talk about how 'cool' it is.

Then the last 3 minutes has nothing relevant at all. That's roughly five minutes out of the total eight minutes that have absolutely nothing to do with safety.

Compare that to an airlines video that's 3 minutes long in total, covers about 10 times the number of topics, and includes a 15 second thank you at the beginning.

And this is what many of us sitting at Muster Station C03 on the Anthem of the Seas felt on December 2. Some actually said that Royal should be embarrassed for showing that video. During the showing, I had a couple from Canada sitting with me and one said, "Is this a joke". I said, no because I heard they were developing a new safety video. He just shook his head and said "unbelievable".

I know I am going to be lambasted for this...

For several years I have been wondering about the need for the full safety briefing, that was done in the past.

Several years ago, I read about the idea know is that the ship is now the "life boat". This was around the time that the last SOLAS regs went into affect. If I remember correctly the last piece was having separate engines rooms that could maintain some type of propulsion/steering capability, in the event that the other engine room goes offline.

Now with many ships not having vests in the cabin, but instead of at actual lifeboat boarding locations, not sure why it is needed to show how to put them on during the muster drill.

People may point to the Costa Concordia. My response is I followed the reporting and post investigation. My conclusion was that the Capt should have ordered people to the internal muster stations shortly after the hull breach. Even newly arrived people who had not attended the muster drill would have had time to be directed to the right place, and thusly to the appropriate life boat.

So for me having people required to go to their muster station should suffice for the muster drill. The rest is kind of superflous on a modern cruise ship and the emergencies that may occur.

We all agreed on the last few sailings these new videos were dreadful as it related to conveying safety information. I've seen two cuts of the current video, one that was shortened to mostly just the safety information and a much longer "mini-film" with lots of unnecessary plot. Obviously the former was better but neither were great. They made this as a way to maybe get people's attention and I'm guessing to get some PR on the video itself (which they did if you google it).

I know I am going to be lambasted for this...

For several years I have been wondering about the need for the full safety briefing, that was done in the past.

Several years ago, I read about the idea know is that the ship is now the "life boat". This was around the time that the last SOLAS regs went into affect. If I remember correctly the last piece was having separate engines rooms that could maintain some type of propulsion/steering capability, in the event that the other engine room goes offline.

Now with many ships not having vests in the cabin, but instead of at actual lifeboat boarding locations, not sure why it is needed to show how to put them on during the muster drill.

People may point to the Costa Concordia. My response is I followed the reporting and post investigation. My conclusion was that the Capt should have ordered people to the internal muster stations shortly after the hull breach. Even newly arrived people who had not attended the muster drill would have had time to be directed to the right place, and thusly to the appropriate life boat.

So for me having people required to go to their muster station should suffice for the muster drill. The rest is kind of superflous on a modern cruise ship and the emergencies that may occur.

I for one would not lambast you because I am a firm believer that every one has a right to their own opinion. The issue as I see it is that, just like an airline, there is a need to present the information for evacuation procedures and safety while on the ship. Not everyone will listen and follow the instructions on the ship as well on an airline however.... if the cruise line does not present this information, I feel they could be held liable if anything happens. At least they can say we told everything and this information is consistent across all cruise lines.

With that said, I feel that we should still be required to appear at Muster with the appropriate signal and that the presentation needs to presented BUT where I differ is that it needs to be done in a way that the passenger does not have to concentrate in order to try to pick out details from a story that is not related to safety. I strongly feel that this presentation is one that passengers can miss needed details, especially those that are first time cruisers.

You're saying "This is how it should of been done" ... but ... that isn't how it *was* done.

Concordia was a reality of what really happens when the poo really hits the fan in the real world. They're damned lucky the ship grounded, if it had sunk far more would of been lost.

US Airways Flight 1549, commonly known as the Miracle of the Hudson, had only 5 passengers out of 150 grab a life vest. Despite the videos, the safety cards, and the words printed above each row. Despite nearly everyone ignoring all those because "I've flow a hundred times, I know it already" and "It won't happen to me". 5.

That's why they try to add entertainment to these things, to try and get people to actually pay attention, and actually remember. In this case though, I think RCI made it worse.

I would like other's opinions of the videos that are now shown at Muster.

We do understand the need to get people to wash their hands more frequently and the "Wash Your Hands" song is catchy.

Well, I ranted about that video before https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246947 . I don't like being talked to like a 5 year old, and the result was that I got the first point "wash your hands" and completely missed the second point "call the doctor when you feel ill"

We could not understand why the company created a video that seemed to toss in the needed information regarding safety on the ship into a story line that is not related to safety.

I think that the cruiselines call some advertisment company, saying "we need to tell this and this". And they come up with videos like that, just what they did for airlines.

Problem is, people on airlines are waiting to start flying, sitting in their chair and having nowhere to go. In that case a funny safety video is better than a boring one. People on a cruiseship however are ordered to go to their muster stations, a strange event for newbies, and a boring necessity for everyone else. All of them have plenty of places they'd rather be, and can't wait to leave the drill and are not interested in watching a James Bond movie. During the drill they're standing behind someone taller so they can't read the essential bullet points, which in this video are only in the subtitles. I'm quite sure not a large percentage of passengers would be able to list all the things to do in case of an emergency.

IMHO, it would be so much more effective if the Captain would be live on the screens. 10 seconds proof that it really is the Captain ("Welcome to our ship! Glad we're leaving Southampton, cruiseships aren't build to be in the rain! We'll leave in about 30 minutes. I hope to see you all at the welcome party tomorrow night! Now please listen to our cruise director who will tell you about safety onboard the beautiful Silhoutte!). Then the CD explains all about washing hands, the flute and the whistle without much ado within 2 minutes. "This is what the lifevest looks like. There's a whistle here and ... . When not sure review it on your TV or ask any crewmember. Most important: wash you hands. I hope to see you in the theatre tonight!". When an authority tells me washing my hands is important or how the lights work in case of smoke, I'm listening. When I see a video that looks like someone is trying to sell me a car in a 7 minute video I very soon start looking at my phone.