Did you know washing your hands is a fun thing to do?

AmazedByCruising

Well, Celebrity told us. During muster drill they told us what would happen if the ship would hit an iceberg. How to strap on the life jacket, etc. Things that could actually be useful.

And then.. a video about how much fun it is to wash your hands. An animation. With a funny song. At pre-Sesame Street level. The table next to us started clapping to the catchy song.

A quite long video had ZERO infomation except "washing your hands is fun!". I'm convinced not a single passenger would clean their hands more often after watching it.

A video that at least explains WHY people need to wash their hands (Noro, other diseases, a ship is quite small, etc) would be nice. That 5 seconds is not good enough. That it is a nice thing to do not just for yourself but for other passengers as well. Concluding that etiquette on a ship has a new rule your parents didn't tell you about: washing your hands much more often and much longer than you'd do on land is a good thing to do.

I'm not so sure that the video doesn't work. It would be left playing on the TV each evening by our stateroom attendant and, within days, I could not get it our of my mind. This thread has just brought it back.

It was clearly designed to become an ear worm rather than impart knowledge. To generalise, people just switch off when lectured.

Edited by Project_gal

I remember before going to Disney for the first time being warned not to go on the 'It's a small world' ride as the song would be in my head forever. They were so right......

As someone said lecturing doesn't work, perhaps the hope is we will all be walking around the buffet with the jingle going round and round in our head......

It is when they start playing it at the beginning and end of the shows I will get worried.

Seriously I admire any efforts by cruise boats, airlines.....to keep us healthy.

As adults we are all aware of the need to wash our hands regularly. However kids often need to be reminded. I suspect that was the intended audience

My wife is in childcare and this is the kind of thing she shows to children to promote personal health. Surely a reminder in the toilets to the effect of, "wash your hands, other people don't want your bodily fluids on theirs" would be more effective?

Norovirus outbreak here on the Silhouette August 8th sailing....many people dont wash their hands properly......hot water..soap....and friction for at least 20 seconds.......try not to shake hands..touch railings, hands awy from ur face..good times,lol

Well, Celebrity told us. During muster drill they told us what would happen if the ship would hit an iceberg. How to strap on the life jacket, etc. Things that could actually be useful.

And then.. a video about how much fun it is to wash your hands. An animation. With a funny song. At pre-Sesame Street level. The table next to us started clapping to the catchy song.

A quite long video had ZERO infomation except "washing your hands is fun!". I'm convinced not a single passenger would clean their hands more often after watching it.

A video that at least explains WHY people need to wash their hands (Noro, other diseases, a ship is quite small, etc) would be nice. That 5 seconds is not good enough. That it is a nice thing to do not just for yourself but for other passengers as well. Concluding that etiquette on a ship has a new rule your parents didn't tell you about: washing your hands much more often and much longer than you'd do on land is a good thing to do.

Funny story. I got back from a cruise recently and picked up a voicemail whilst I was away. When I played it back all I could hear was this song. I must have accidentally rung myself when I first got to the cabin. That song was going round in my head for hours after I picked up the message.

It was on our tv when we checked in. I found the song on YouTube

Thank you. Now it starts all over again!;)

Phil

While this is good information to put out there, I believe the first rule of advertising (which is what this is, the product is health information) is to know your audience. Royal Caribbean targets families and Celebrity targets a more, shall we say, mature market. I would resent being instructed in this manner. Talk to me like an adult and I will listen. This is a good example of a one size fits all approach does not work across all markets within a brand.

While this is good information to put out there, I believe the first rule of advertising (which is what this is, the product is health information) is to know your audience. Royal Caribbean targets families and Celebrity targets a more, shall we say, mature market. I would resent being instructed in this manner. Talk to me like an adult and I will listen. This is a good example of a one size fits all approach does not work across all markets within a brand.

This plays on Azamara too. No resentment from me though.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

If an adult needs to be reminded that they need to wash their hands then they should be treated like a child. By the time you are an adult, especially the Celebrity demographic and you don't automatically wash your hands after using the "Washroom" then it's time to be retrained.

Edited by Iamcruzin

If an adult needs to be reminded that they need to wash their hands then they should be treated like a child. By the time you are an adult, especially the Celebrity demographic and you don't automatically wash your hands after using the "Washroom" then it's time to be retrained.

Exactly. Why get the slightest bit upset about a silly little ditty with a message?

After one cruise on RC this will be part of your permanent memory. LOL.

bosco

There has been a fair bit of research on health professionals and washing hands (in a hospital setting) One would think it would be a no-brainer that they would wash their hands before seeing a patient and after....but in 1 study where people volunteered for and knew tehy were being observed, a paltry 45% only washed their hands before seeing a patient, and around 70% washed their hands after.....so if health professionals are not doign it (I am a RN), i bet many cruise goers are not doing it..or doing it properly.....I'm constantly washing my hands on a cruise...We even wipe our room down when we st get in the room and everynow and then during the cruise.....

While I'm a huge fan of hand washing, there's a time and place for things, and the muster drill, IMHO, is not one of them. The muster drill should be about one thing only: safety of life at sea -- knowing what to do in an emergency. It's hard enough to get people to attend the mandatory drill -- not to mention, getting them to arrive on time and actually pay attention. :eek: Using time that the passengers are a "captive audience" to lecture them about hand-washing, the smoking policy, "save the waves" -- or anything else unrelated to finding your life-boat -- just makes things worse. Put the cute-sy hand-washing video on the stateroom TV, and include reminders in the daily bulletin. That's sufficient information for most adults. Here again, just my $.02. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers