NCL Escape 40 pax missed embarkation!

beerman2

At least they get to celebrate New Year Jamaican style!!!

Not a bad outcome after all!:D

Moral of the story is if you book with a tour operator who flies in the day of a cruise, be prepared for an adventure!;)

If you don't like adventure, fly in the day before or book an AI with the same tour operator. AI's don't move.:cool:

Not a bad outcome after all!:D

Moral of the story is if you book with a tour operator who flies in the day of a cruise, be prepared for an adventure!;)

If you don't like adventure, fly in the day before or book an AI with the same tour operator. AI's don't move.:cool:

I'd say this is fair advice! Although it must have been stressful and disappointing at first, all is well that ends well. Life is an adventure and things like this can make some of your best stories down the road. I am glad to hear they all made it to Jamaica and at least their cruise didn't have an itinerary where they were at sea for 3 days before the first stop. On that note, I admit to being the sort that books my travel a day ahead!

I always fly in a day early, especially in the winter. In the event a blizzard comes through and cancels all flights, worst case scenario is we can drive to Florida in 15 hours. Might do 2 days early if we were in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in Buffalo NY, I always fly the day before just for this reason.

1) Get trip insurance

2) Fly in the day before especially in winter from the north.

Also when buying trip insurance, look at how long the flight needs to be delayed etc before they will cover. When shopping for policies I recall seeing 6 hours or so as the minimum, flying out last minute is insanely risky.

Our friends were surprising us on our last Breakaway cruise. We took a bus into NYC the day before and stayed overnight. As we were sailing away the next day, our friends knocked on our door and surprised us! However, they said they literally almost missed the cruise because the train they took in had issues. They had come from RI and thought they had plenty of buffer time- but was on the train for an extra FOUR hours. They actually started to check airfares to meet the ship the next day. When they got to the terminal there were no passengers left in the cruise terminal- they checked in and ran up the ramps to board the ship. You never know what type of things can make you delayed the day of sail!

INSURANCE WILL NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

I know lots of people buy insurance with the emotional thought they do not want to miss the cruise. As the folks that missed the ship will surely tell you, they missed the sail away. They missed the day at sea. They missed a lot. Insurance will help with the flight cost, but it does not solve the problem.

Flying in the day before is the best insurance. Especially coming from the north in the dead of winter.

And some of those folks may have an even bigger problem if they do not have credit cards to buy plane tickets that need to be reimbursed by insurance later (some policies will pay upfront). Real cheap insurance for that problem is to travel with extra credit cards.

Where’s the compassion and understanding. That is so typical of the conservative attitude and lack of accommodation for special needs situations I find prevalent by so many members of this board. For that many passengers, they should have held the ship. We clear customs and immiigration in Canada, so once they landed at FLL they were in domestic, and could have been at the terminal Lickety split, probably by 5 at the latest. I don’t know about the rest of you but if it meant simply waiting at the port for another hour on a fun ship with lots to do so FORTY more people could Enjoy their vacation, I would have been happy to say “sure, please do!” What a shame. Where’s the compassion.

Where’s the compassion and understanding. That is so typical of the conservative attitude and lack of accommodation for special needs situations I find prevalent by so many members of this board. For that many passengers, they should have held the ship. We clear customs and immiigration in Canada, so once they landed at FLL they were in domestic, and could have been at the terminal Lickety split, probably by 5 at the latest. I don’t know about the rest of you but if it meant simply waiting at the port for another hour on a fun ship with lots to do so FORTY more people could Enjoy their vacation, I would have been happy to say “sure, please do!” What a shame. Where’s the compassion.

It isn't that simple. There can be huge costs with "holding" a ship. Port aren't charities and the costs ultimately are beard by cruise costs. A ship simply can't just delay. What about all the workers required?? Make dock workers, work an extra hour, harbor pilot delay his subsequent schedule of ships?

“So typical of the conservative attitude ...” Virtue signaled, duly noted.

It isn't that simple. There can be huge costs with "holding" a ship. Port aren't charities and the costs ultimately are beard by cruise costs. A ship simply can't just delay. What about all the workers required?? Make dock workers, work an extra hour, harbor pilot delay his subsequent schedule of ships?

Because that isn’t how the world works. I don’t see this as a ‘conservative’ attitude. I’m not a conservative in the least but I wouldn’t expect a ship that has a schedule to keep for the sake of thousands of people to wait for 40. It’s respectful to others to be on time and deal with what happens if you aren’t. Expecting the world to cater to you when you don’t get where you need to go on time isn’t respectful.

The Escape holds 4266 passengers, so these 40 compromise .009 per cent of the total. Really...just a drop in the bucket.

These people played the risk/reward game.....saved a few dollars but got a riskier product than those who chose to fly in earlier.

IMHO....a learning experience about priorities. It's just like a guarantee cabin. Better rate....but the potential to be under the gym exists.

And, as someone else pointed out......keeping a boat at the dock is not the same as holding a train in a station.

When leaving for my very first cruise way back in December 1992 we were caught in a massive snow storm on the way to airport. My parents had wisely booked the flight for the day before the cruise and we were one of the last flights to leave the airport before it was closed.

Since then I have always booked to fly out at least a day before, if not a few days prior.

The only time I broke that rule was flying from Kelowna, BC to Seattle in September for an Alaskan cruise. We had an early morning flight and should have had plenty of time to wait in the cruise terminal except that our Alaskan Airlines plane had some mechanical issues and we ended up leaving several hours behind schedule. We still managed to make the ship but it was the only time we walked right through the terminal to an agent and right on board with no wait. I think we made it with a half hour to spare.

Things happen and going in ahead of time is always a good idea, even if weather shouldn't be an issue. I do feel for the affected passengers- they learned this lesson the hard way.

Oh, so it might have been cheaper for Sunwing to pay for hotels and flights to get the PAX to the cruise, rather than paying NCL and the PoM to hold the ship?

It was probably impossible to pay NCL and the PoM to hold the ship.

At least they did (we think) the right thing by paying for hotels and flights.

Those passengers shouldn't complain........

Seriously, your turning people missing the ship due to saving a few bucks into political name calling? If that’s the best you could come up with, I’ll save my compassion for St. Jude’s children hospital.

Give it up. They made their choice, and were taken care of by Sunwing. Move on.

Oh, so it might have been cheaper for Sunwing to pay for hotels and flights to get the PAX to the cruise, rather than paying NCL and the PoM to hold the ship?

Seriously, your turning people missing the ship due to saving a few bucks into political name calling? If that’s the best you could come up with, I’ll save my compassion for St. Jude’s children hospital.

Exactly!

And I'm going to worry more about those still suffering from the hurricane damage to their homes & island instead of the changed ports of call on my cruise.

Had many followers rooting for them! The original flight time 7:45a.m. would have been stressful enough.

Hopefully Sunwing airlines who they booked through takes care of them.

Er sorry why should they? if you chose to cut it fine then so be it.

Give it up. They made their choice, and were taken care of by Sunwing. Move on.

Why do you think getting these passengers on the ship was NCL's responsibility?

If anyone missed the Sunwing flight, would that have been Sunwing's responsibility?

We are leaving Minnesota on Super Bowl Sunday. Hopefully we won't run into delays with the big game in town. We are leaving that day for a cruise leaving on Monday. Living in MinneSNOWta we always leave a day early in the winter months. Hopefully we will be watching the Vikings playing at US Bank Stadium in Minnesota from our hotel room in Miami that night. :D