No on Sea Princess

I have always wondered what would happen if an infectious disease did break out on a cruise and the authorities quarantined the ship and would not let you land ...:eek:

That did happen during the initial swine flu outbreak a few years ago. Some ports would not let the ship stop on a scheduled port stop, but I didn't hear of any cases where the ship was not allowed to land at the end of the cruise.

Must have been on a different cruise to us? We just got off the Sea Princess this morning and the number never got anywhere near 200. Captain included numbers each day in his daily noon brief, highest it ever got was 45. Report yesterday was at 21.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Must have been on a different cruise to us? We just got off the Sea Princess this morning and the number never got anywhere near 200. Captain included numbers each day in his daily noon brief, highest it ever got was 45. Report yesterday was at 21.

I am inclined to think it was 'mis-reporting' not a different cruise:).

Must have spread among the press.:o;p;)

I have re read the story I edited out before and it is about the cruise that returned today. Looks like the NZ Herald has picked up the story from the ABC and is also running it.

Hundreds sick with gastro on New Zealand cruise ship

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11969498

I wonder if anyone actually checked with the cruise line first?

I have re read the story I edited out before and it is about the cruise that returned today. Looks like the NZ Herald has picked up the story from the ABC and is also running it.

Hundreds sick with gastro on New Zealand cruise ship

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11969498

I wonder if anyone actually checked with the cruise line first?

Or God forbid, ask the cruise line for a statement! :halo:

It looks like there was noro on board, but nowhere near the 200 figure quoted by the ABC. I wonder if they took the daily figure and added them together. It could easily reach a total of 200, but not 200 separate people.:)

I have always wondered what would happen if an infectious disease did break out on a cruise and the authorities quarantined the ship and would not let you land ...:eek:

They would have to re open ye olde Quarantine Station in Sydney Harbour.:cool: They used it in the olden days.

I may be unkind to some people but that virus on the Sea Princess was caused by dirty, unclean passengers who never washed their hands after using the toilets.

I have seen people do that whilst I have been using the toilets and when challenged they just look at you and walk away.

They just spoil it for all the other passengers and I also say that more people should speak out if you see such an incidence.

I may be unkind to some people but that virus on the Sea Princess was caused by dirty, unclean passengers who never washed their hands after using the toilets.

I have seen people do that whilst I have been using the toilets and when challenged they just look at you and walk away.

They just spoil it for all the other passengers and I also say that more people should speak out if you see such an incidence.

Totally agree with you.:halo:

Totally agree with you.:halo:

But why? If having used a urinal and having managed to not urinate upon oneself, then the risk of infection to yourself is considerably increased by coming in to contact with the fixtures in a public bathroom, being exactly where the norovirus will be lurking on wet taps, paper towels and so on. The very best option is to not use a public restroom at all; sitting butt-naked on a toilet seat in a public restroom during a noro-outbreak is just stupid, as is doing so on any cruise really given that it will be far too late by the time you hear about an outbreak. The next best option is to contact as little of a public restroom as possible - push the door with your shoulder or use a part of the door not normally touched and don't touch anything else. The best option is to return to your cabin to use your private and regularly sanitised toilet facilities where it's safe to use just basic hygiene (such as hand washing) rather than the advanced hygiene practices I'm describing.

But why? If having used a urinal and having managed to not urinate upon oneself, then the risk of infection to yourself is considerably increased by coming in to contact with the fixtures in a public bathroom, being exactly where the norovirus will be lurking on wet taps, paper towels and so on. The very best option is to not use a public restroom.

MrYellowDuck

All great if you are a man of course [emoji15] and still missing the point of the need for hand washing. Suggest you spend five minutes researching norovirus to see just where it lingers, for how long and just how it’s spread - then perhaps you too will join us hand washers regardless of whether we “shake” or not!!

I have had it once - on Ovation to be exact - and am now a little OCD about hand washing [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Forums