$100 charge to change booking

You are still losing the $100 per person. As I was switching from one cruise to another, not cancelling, they just add the $100 per person penalty to the amount. You just do not have to pay that out of pocket at the moment you switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No you are cancelling one cruise and booking another. You cannot just "switch" ships.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

That makes no sense.

Let's say you have a $100 deposit for a cruise you booked while on board.

Want to cancel or move that? Nope. Just kiss the $100 goodbye. You will just never see it again. You start with a clean slate booking a new cruise.

Have a $250 deposit and want to cancel/move that booking? Kiss $100 goodbye and receive an FCC (future cruise certificate) for $150 which must be spent on another cruise within one year of the cancellation/move.

This is exactly how mine worked. I had paid a deposit of $500 ($250/pp) at the time of original booking. When I then had to cancel, they sent me two $150 Future Cruise Certificates, one for each of the original people in the booking. When I then went to book the new cruise, I applied the $150 FCC to the new cruise. Basically, they charged me $500 and returned $300 in FCC thereby keeping the $200 penalty ($100/pp).

Since I knew the rules of non-refundable booking, I was aware that this is the way it would happen, but the rep on the phone made sure to explain everything very well as we were going through the process.

And yes, I did have to pay a new full deposit when I booked a new cruise and then the FCC was credited to the remaining balance.

It looks like the cruise companies are moving to the airline model. One price for refundable, another lower price for non-refundable.

So far it's only been the deposit that is not refundable. With airlines, it's usually the entire fare that is not refundable. Scary to comtemplate if the cruise lines make the entire fare non-refundable.

I am confused. Was this a charge from RCCL or from the TA. Since we never book with a TA we have never had this issue. Everytime the price goes down we rebook and have never had a charge. If this is just the TA adding the cost, I would get a different TA or just book direct.

Doug

So far it's only been the deposit that is not refundable. With airlines, it's usually the entire fare that is not refundable. Scary to comtemplate if the cruise lines make the entire fare non-refundable.

Because airlines don't do a deposit and pay the balance later. You pay it all now.

Welcome to our world in the UK. We don't have the luxury of refundable deposits.;p
That fell on deaf ears:cool:

And we don't get a cheaper fare for it either. :evilsmile:

I am confused. Was this a charge from RCCL or from the TA. Since we never book with a TA we have never had this issue. Everytime the price goes down we rebook and have never had a charge. If this is just the TA adding the cost, I would get a different TA or just book direct.

Doug

I noticed my Radiance cruise for September 2019 had gone down by $300 per person in a recent promotion and tried to re book at the lower price. I had pre paid the deposit of $400 per person (non refundable rate) and was told I would forfeit the deposit if I re booked at the lower price. Despite RCCL already having my deposit for several months I was told this constituted a new booking and would require a new deposit to be paid and the total loss of my existing deposit. I explained I did not want a deposit refund or cancel or amend my cruise in any way just a deposit transfer to my existing booking at the current promotion rate. RCCL would not budge in any way. Obviously I was not going to spend a further $800 to save $600 and left the booking as it was. Beware the terms and conditions of RCCL non refundable deposits.

I noticed my Radiance cruise for September 2019 had gone down by $300 per person in a recent promotion and tried to re book at the lower price. I had pre paid the deposit of $400 per person (non refundable rate) and was told I would forfeit the deposit if I re booked at the lower price. Despite RCCL already having my deposit for several months I was told this constituted a new booking and would require a new deposit to be paid and the total loss of my existing deposit. I explained I did not want a deposit refund or cancel or amend my cruise in any way just a deposit transfer to my existing booking at the current promotion rate. RCCL would not budge in any way. Obviously I was not going to spend a further $800 to save $600 and left the booking as it was. Beware the terms and conditions of RCCL non refundable deposits.

either the person at RCI didn't know what they were doing or they are changing the way they do price drops now as others have reported getting price drops with non refundable fares and not being charged anything.

Bill

either the person at RCI didn't know what they were doing or they are changing the way they do price drops now as others have reported getting price drops with non refundable fares and not being charged anything.

Bill

The person you quoted lives in Australia. Different rules regarding price drops.

NO.

You have already paid a deposit. So they HAVE that $100.

If the deposit is $100, and you change ship or sailing date, you lose it. Nothing is added to the new booking, you will have to pay a new deposit.

If the deposit you paid is more than $100, they will issue a future cruise credit for the amount over $100 to each passenger. That FCC must be used on a SAILING, within 12 months of when it was issued.

As I understand if, the FCC cannot be used for the new deposit, but only to pay part of the cruise fare.

That is correct. CRUISE FARE only. I am glad that your agent emphasized this to you. You cannot use it toward taxes and fees, so if you have a kids sale free promotion, it cannot be used as the kids only have port charges, fees and taxes often around 150-200 dollar but no cruise fare.. But it cannot be used toward that. The Next Cruise desk told us it could be applied toward our next cruise if we cancelled and never stated it was cruise fare only and not overall cruise balance.

I had to cancel a non refundable flight due to an emergency. JetBlue issued a credit for the amount of the two round trip tickets and didn't charge the change flight fee. I don't know if other airlines do the same. If cruise lines started to make the entire trip non refundable at the time of the booking, which would mean that you had to pay the entire fare at the time of booking, those 3000-8000 passenger ships would sail empty. I imagine that there would be a ton of great last minute deals.

That is correct. CRUISE FARE only. I am glad that your agent emphasized this to you. You cannot use it toward taxes and fees, so if you have a kids sale free promotion, it cannot be used as the kids only have port charges, fees and taxes often around 150-200 dollar but no cruise fare.. But it cannot be used toward that. The Next Cruise desk told us it could be applied toward our next cruise if we cancelled and never stated it was cruise fare only and not overall cruise balance.

This is a big problem!! So I pay the deposit amount for my kids (even though they are free) and that amount -$100 is returned to me for FCC. But my kids are always free, so I have no opportunity to use that credit in the next 12 months. That seems a little crappy.

This is a big problem!! So I pay the deposit amount for my kids (even though they are free) and that amount -$100 is returned to me for FCC. But my kids are always free, so I have no opportunity to use that credit in the next 12 months. That seems a little crappy.

Thank god someone finally understands my aggravation! I had another thread devoted to this, and no one could wrap their head around the fact that even though Kids Sail free you still have to put out a deposit, and are penalized when you change. That I understand, but the aggravation was in trying to use the FCC as the Kids Sail Free applies to almost ANY booking (it does not apply to holiday bookings and summer bookings and Alaska) I would want to book, so it's basically a full $500 lost on two kids the kids instead of just $200 for two kids.

RCCL is really killing me with their policies, after endless arguing with guest relations they thankfully extended the deadline on the FCC to just booking it before expiration rather than sailing by the expiration date, so I can hopefully find a NON-KSF booking to apply it too. That buys me a lot more time to use it.

I had to cancel a non refundable flight due to an emergency. JetBlue issued a credit for the amount of the two round trip tickets and didn't charge the change flight fee. I don't know if other airlines do the same. If cruise lines started to make the entire trip non refundable at the time of the booking, which would mean that you had to pay the entire fare at the time of booking, those 3000-8000 passenger ships would sail empty. I imagine that there would be a ton of great last minute deals.

Airlines will waive the change fee or even refund non-refundable fares in certain circumstances.

But will require proof of the issue.

I have had to change travel plans once for a death in the family, and also had to book last minute fares due to a death. Airlines worked with me to make it as painless as possible. But required various info and proof of the death and services.

Hmm, so you will be happy if you find a cruise, where you pay say $500 per kid, to use the $250 per kid credit??????

Not all cruises are KSF, but we do our best to book KSF. If we can’t book KSF, then we book a non KSF. However, given you are only allowed a year to board and NOT BOOK a FCC it can be difficult on short notice to find a cruise that fits. We have 4 cruises and 3 trips to

Disney already planned from now till May 7,2019 when our FCC expires. It is hard to fit in a non KSF cruise without cancelling another trip and incurring more penalties.

We would try and use it this summer so we could use the KSF but our summer is fully booked already.

Thankfully after arguing with RCI they changed the expiration terms of our FCC to give us more time to use it.

The person you quoted lives in Australia. Different rules regarding price drops.

Well I now wish I had the same rules you guys have for price drops. Seems strange that the advice I was given was from RCLL Head Office who I thought should apply the same rules to all passengers regardless of where they lived. Australian travel agents are now saying that the new non refundable deposits are causing much confusion for their clients. When we choose the non refundable option we are really locked in and no form of amendment no matter how minor is allowed without forfeiting the deposit.

I was just booking a couple of cruises for 2019 with my travel agent and she informed me that if I decided to change the booking to something else, there would be a $100 charge to do so (this is a new policy just instituted in the last couple of months).

I don't anticipate changing anything, but you never know what will happen, especially a year or more out.

I can let a lot about RCL roll off my back, but I'm not happy with this policy.

it has been there for months. If you want flexibility, just book the refundable (as long as it is not a suite) and change to the non refundable once you know for sure it is good. I book probably 99% of my cruises as non refundable as we have lots of flexibility. But right now I have 2 refundable booked as I am waiting for the 2019 Presidents Cruise to be announced and then I will change my cruises to non refundable.

Airlines will waive the change fee or even refund non-refundable fares in certain circumstances.

But will require proof of the issue.

I have had to change travel plans once for a death in the family, and also had to book last minute fares due to a death. Airlines worked with me to make it as painless as possible. But required various info and proof of the death and services.

JetBlue was really good with the situation. They have the best customer service. My wife was in the hospital. I asked if they would like me to send proof and they told me that it wasn't necessary.

JetBlue was really good with the situation. They have the best customer service. My wife was in the hospital. I asked if they would like me to send proof and they told me that it wasn't necessary.

They have the option.

In my case, most of my family lives in Hawaii. So I am calling to book last minute bereavement fares or to change some trip to go to Hawaii. So, they ask for details. :D

If I were changing FROM Hawaii to Idaho, I think they would ask less questions. :'):'):')

Glad the airlines still retain some semblance of customer service. The cruise lines do not. If it’s not in the terms of agreement I have rarely seen them budge an inch on anything, which is their right. Just kinda sad that they are so stiff now as customer service like that can buy a customer for life, but that’s what travel insurance is for. Any store that goes above and beyond will typically earn my service forever. One time Firestone installed a new tire, and they did something wrong, I came back expecting them to just fix the issue not expecting anything extra, and they refunded my entire tire purchase and service without asking. I go there every time now.

There was a time when a sad story would get you something, but that time is long gone. Cruise lines don’t care much about loyalty anymore. They know the boats will fill no matter what.