Room service etiquette - What do we do with tray/plates when done? Standard cabin?

UmaDaughterOfUrsula

Never leave them in the hallway. Holland America leaves a card with the tray asking to please leave it in the cabin and call room service to have it picked up, or your room steward will take care of it. I'm very sure Celebrity has the same policy. This goes for ALL cabin catagories.

When you are on your cruise and order room service, what about asking your server what they would expect you to do with the dishes when done?

If I didn't get answers here probably would although from other room service posts it seems they come an go very quickly so might not have much time to think about it.

Thanks all for the answers.

Some mentioned leaving it on the balcony...not good because seagulls will find it in about 3 minutes and make a huge mess if you are in port and the wind will blow it away if you are at sea.

Yes, cash is always appropriate.

My first choice would be if a scooter is left in the hallway every night and maybe run over people and things (with the exception of fake service dogs) is to leave tray and plates on the scooter seat.

Then call security and have everything removed.

PS. DW sometimes has to use a wheelchair onboard, which is always stored in the cabin, overnight

You win! This is a fantastic idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Standard cabin NOT suite, aqua or concierge.

Not that I'll use it but parents might so I'll ask - What does one do with the plates/tray after we're done? Seems in many hotels people leave it on the floor in the hall but I'm thinking the halls on ships are tighter so that shouldn't be done as they'd be in the way more......

You are right.

Even in hotels we never leave trays with used dishes on the floor in the hallway, simply out of consideration for the person who will need to remove them.

It is so much easier to pick up a tray loaded with dishes from a table or desktop instead of needing to bend down and try to lift it up from the floor.

Additionally on cruise ships, besides trays left out on the hallway floor being a hazard for those with wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, and impaired vision, when the ship rocks the trays often shift, spilling unfinished drinks and scattering garbage across the hallway.

That not only makes a mess for everyone who uses that hallway but also extra work for the unfortunate employee who needs to clean it all up.

Edited by varoo

Are Euro coins acceptable as tips? As non-Americans we can't get single dollar notes but the smallest Euro note is €5, which is a bit over the top for room service coffee.

Euro coins are acceptable as tips in Europe but less so in other areas of the world (although staff would be too polite to refuse). If you go to guest relations they will happily split larger dollar bills into a mix of $1, $5 for you....

Euro coins are acceptable as tips in Europe but less so in other areas of the world (although staff would be too polite to refuse). If you go to guest relations they will happily split larger dollar bills into a mix of $1, $5 for you....

Thank you - that is a very helpful answer :)

Yep, that's what I have done in the past and the reason I answered as above. After I was given the answer it made total sense to me.

Phil

OT, but I can't help myself....read your signature many times and finally have to comment.... "It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere......." .... BUT... we met you a few years ago in select dining....you have cruised so many times and been so many 'anywheres'! ;) Enjoy many more!

I, too, have asked our stateroom attendant & have been told to leave them in the room. I am usually on my balcony all morning every morning & I see house-keeping come pick it up before the stateroom attendant ever comes by. I do make sure everything is back on the tray & not scattered throughout the cabin/balcony.

OT, but I can't help myself....read your signature many times and finally have to comment.... "It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere......." .... BUT... we met you a few years ago in select dining....you have cruised so many times and been so many 'anywheres'! ;) Enjoy many more!

Thanks! You have a really good memory for faces! Enjoy your cruises too and make a comeback soon!:)

Phil

On a cruise with my daughter and granddaughter last year our neighbors seemed to think it was alright to put their dirty dishes right in front of our cabin door. I couldn't believe it. The second time it happened I had a word with guest relations who sent someone to speak to them. Needless to say, it didn't happen again. A little common sense goes a long way. Call for a pickup and leave them in your cabin until they come.

Passengers should never leave the room service tray out in the hallway. It may be inconvenient for the room steward to clean around dirty breakfast dishes, but that's better than having a fellow passenger trip or be unable to pass with a motor scooter. We frequently use room service for breakfast and the tray is always removed by the time we return from whatever we had planned for the morning. In many instances room service has called about an hour after delivery to ask if it's ok to pick up the tray.

Passengers should never leave the room service tray out in the hallway. It may be inconvenient for the room steward to clean around dirty breakfast dishes, but that's better than having a fellow passenger trip or be unable to pass with a motor scooter. We frequently use room service for breakfast and the tray is always removed by the time we return from whatever we had planned for the morning. In many instances room service has called about an hour after delivery to ask if it's ok to pick up the tray.

On at least on line, That was the instruction we were given ‘place the tray in the hall for collection’.

Sorry I’ll do as the line asks.

On at least on line, That was the instruction we were given ‘place the tray in the hall for collection’.

Sorry I’ll do as the line asks.

You should do what you feel most comfortable with. I'm just saying that I've never been instructed to leave the tray in the hallway on any Celebrity ship.

On a cruise with my daughter and granddaughter last year our neighbors seemed to think it was alright to put their dirty dishes right in front of our cabin door. I couldn't believe it. The second time it happened I had a word with guest relations who sent someone to speak to them. Needless to say, it didn't happen again. A little common sense goes a long way. Call for a pickup and leave them in your cabin until they come.

Unbelievable!

Phil