Oceania ..NEVER AGAIN...floating nursing home

drhugs

Darcie,

Actually we don't have to qualify as disabled to understand. I have back and knee problems, and standing in a long line is extremely difficult and uncomfortable for me. So while I can't completely understand the difficulties you have under these circumstances, I do have an idea. And I really didn't think you were "complaining". As the situation at Lima is now, I would avoid boarding a ship there UNLESS I had the same kind of service from a tour agency as we did a few years ago. We greatly appreciated not having to stand for an hour or more in that incredibly long line, and felt much sympathy for those who had to do so.

Mura

:loudcry::loudcry: I am posting this in hopes of dissuading those contemplating an Oceania Sirena Cruise.

Currently on the 35 day Oceania Sirena San Diego to Rio..sounds great, doesn't it??? Cruising the Amazon..great, huh???

Not so fast, dear readers....never again..

the most boring, worst entertainment..if any..

food above average, staff incredible and wonderful..

We are in a PH1...most expensive penthouse suite..have met with general manager..4x..i have profuse notes about the myriad of disappointments..if you are seeking anything close to the deceptive brochures, you may be in for a shock..more coming on this board when I can finally depart in Rio...dumped us in ghetto ports and more..so sorry I ever booked Oceania..they are riding on a reputation no longer deserved..5 star..in their dreams.:loudcry::loudcry: we booked back to back and jumping ship..cannot bear 21 more daysfrom Rio to Miami..flying home.

Let's see how 5 star Oceania handles my concerns when I call them next week. Many unhappy passengers here who will never return...:eek:will keep you posted with the details...

Sounds like the rants of a troll! Just got off the Riviera after 10 days. The weather was pretty bad for half the trip. That's NOT the fault of the cruiseline. Blame low pressure trough stalled over Central America. That & the fact it IS the rainy season. The cruise itself was overall outstanding. A few excursion issues will be discussed on my review. These were easily solved. Would I sail Oceania again? Yes, definitely. We do have a 14 day trip on Celebrity next year & can change that if we wish, but I do like Celebrity as well.

We have just returned home after a cruise on Regatta, Sydney to Sydney and believe me the problems you had compares nothing to what we experienced on this cruise. We fully endorse your comments. What out for my post shortly. :mad:

We have just returned home after a cruise on Regatta, Sydney to Sydney and believe me the problems you had compares nothing to what we experienced on this cruise. We fully endorse your comments. What out for my post shortly. :mad:

What problems -- this was originally a review of Sirena, then a discussion of dangerous ports, then disabled passengers??

Was on same cruise (certainly no dangerous ports other than PNG).

:loudcry::loudcry: I am posting this in hopes of dissuading those contemplating an Oceania Sirena Cruise.

Currently on the 35 day Oceania Sirena San Diego to Rio..sounds great, doesn't it??? Cruising the Amazon..great, huh???

Not so fast, dear readers....never again..

the most boring, worst entertainment..if any..

food above average, staff incredible and wonderful..

We are in a PH1...most expensive penthouse suite..have met with general manager..4x..i have profuse notes about the myriad of disappointments..if you are seeking anything close to the deceptive brochures, you may be in for a shock..more coming on this board when I can finally depart in Rio...dumped us in ghetto ports and more..so sorry I ever booked Oceania..they are riding on a reputation no longer deserved..5 star..in their dreams.:loudcry::loudcry: we booked back to back and jumping ship..cannot bear 21 more daysfrom Rio to Miami..flying home.

Let's see how 5 star Oceania handles my concerns when I call them next week. Many unhappy passengers here who will never return...:eek:will keep you posted with the details...

We just returned home from a 34 day Oceania cruise on the Regatta. We had the worst cruise ever and wanted to jump ship several times. I can say your comments are completely accurate. There was one disappointment after another. I actually don’t believe the ship is safe and will look into reporting that to the proper authorities. Oceania has gone down hill in a short period of time. The food which I thought was excellent on previous cruises was average at best. It was a cruise from hell. I am still waiting to hear from the company. I sent a long email documenting the issues and still have not heard back- the email was sent 2 weeks ago.

We just returned home from a 34 day Oceania cruise on the Regatta. We had the worst cruise ever and wanted to jump ship several times. I can say your comments are completely accurate. There was one disappointment after another. I actually don’t believe the ship is safe and will look into reporting that to the proper authorities. Oceania has gone down hill in a short period of time. The food which I thought was excellent on previous cruises was average at best. It was a cruise from hell. I am still waiting to hear from the company. I sent a long email documenting the issues and still have not heard back- the email was sent 2 weeks ago.

Suggest you also write a review on CC. I did same.. Complete disappointment -- though I needed a vacation from work it served its purpose. Agree food was mediocre at best. The kicker for us was finding roaches crawling in the pasta in Terrace. I certainly think the CDC needs to inspect the ship when she reaches the states. Last time in April it failed.

Suggest you also write a review on CC. I did same.. Complete disappointment -- though I needed a vacation from work it served its purpose. Agree food was mediocre at best. The kicker for us was finding roaches crawling in the pasta in Terrace. I certainly think the CDC needs to inspect the ship when she reaches the states. Last time in April it failed.

Very concerning for me since you are an O regular.

Care to elaborate on your disappointments?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's absolutely terrible. I hope there are no roaches anywhere I can see them on the Riviera, especially in my food :o

I can't wait to read it. Hope there is a little good there for us to read also.

We spent 12 glorious days in Buenos Aires and felt it was a city we could live in. We spent a wonderful week in Lima too. We never experienced what you describe

I could not disagree with you more

Is it too late to agree with you? Buenos Aires is a very nice city, many nice areas for walking, and no bodies lying around in the cemeteries unless they are entombed. Saw no garbage tossed or bums on the street; a very livable city.

Lima was very enjoyable too; granted we did not go to every neighborhood but we were walking in a number of neighborhoods without issue. A well deserved food Mecca, we enjoyed Chinese, Japanese, French and Peruvian food plus combinations thereof.

Haven’t been to the other cities excoriated by Hawaiidan but based on his lurid descriptions of Buenos Aires and Lima I cannot trust his assessments.

Very concerning for me since you are an O regular.

Care to elaborate on your disappointments?

I will again -- I posted a full review..

General a disappointment -- yes it happens I would sail again, but DW who had the roach encounter would be a hard convince. I have never been on a ship where so many people have sent letters and emails to O complaining.

For me it was a mixed cruise. (I give it 3*) -- But there were lots of issues, and issues I do not find on other lines I have traveled.

Missed ports -- missed 3 for weather and 2 for mechanical issues (more later). The missed ports were due to tender conditions which were rough seas and wind. Yes it can happen, but talking with Aussie Travel Agents ships never make these ports during the Typhoon season as we had. So why did O schedule this trip at this time of the year.

So what did O due for the missing ports. 2 hours Open bar -- wow!!

Food -- food was mediocre at best. I like food hot and with some taste. Food was definitely not hot in GDR and especially and surprisingly in Terrace. Complained several times with Terrace manager. Cold soup in Terrace. Certainly somebody is not doing adequate quality control. The kicker was the roaches in the pasta. My DW spoke to the Sous Chef and he said he would get back to her and never did. This was typical -- complaints unanswered.

Had a daily contest to guess the pastry/bread chefs. There was a big variation on the quality of the Croissants and Baguettes. I love my bread. Good -- buttery taste for croissant and crunchy crust on the baguettes. Bad no butter and soft baguettes. Must have alternated as it was about a 50% hit rate.

Polo -- really bad. Turned down extra reservations from our butler. Chef could not get meat at MR level; either served Med or MW. Only correct thing was the prime rib as it is hard to mistake.

Toscana not a fan, but we had 8 meals, excellent service and Maitre'd ran a proper restaurant. Chef there was very creative with his pasta of the day.

Ships maintenance. At least for us lots of cabin issues in PH2. A/C did not work, veranda door would not open, bathroom issues. All were fixed but shows the age of the ship and the Master (or lack of one). Past issues already noted with ship losing power in Honolulu. We had loss of the PA/Interphone/General Alarm System. Oceania had no spare parts on board. Technician had to reconfigure the system to get the basic General Alarm System needed to work, so that we could proceed. Amazing no spare parts and that this item is not redundant (says that O has not upgraded the system since the ship was built). Heard lots of A/C complaints from others in the rear of the ship.

Ship Management. This is really a show stopper for me. The ship's management had higher priorities than the passengers. I will site a couple of examples:

• Seems like Australia is Travel agent mecca. Ship hosted TA events at each major port. It seemed like the TA's ruled the ship. A ships tour (2 buses) were held up from re-boarding the ship for 15 minutes at the outside gangway in the Darwin sun -- while the TA's disembarked on at a time at their leisure. My wife, who is a diabetic with low blood sugar and at the front of the line wanted to board. Refused. Eventually the mob led by my DW just boarded without permission. Complaint made to the GM -- nothing heard.
  • GM Missing in action -- no interaction. Complaints ignored.
  • Oceania corporate chefs on board. Many of the chefs were taken from their duties by corporate people who joined the ship in Bali.
  • Master/Captain -- this is not his ship. He was a quick substitute for the past Captain who left suddenly (wonder why??). Master was training his replacement so he could return to his normal ship (Riviera?).

Excursions -- we missed so many ports where I had excursions booked through O. This were O choice and the $100 OBC was a waste. I had paid money for the others and O would not allow a transfer to these. The excursion at PNG was a disaster -- tour operator cancelled and O provided a second rate tour to all and refunded only $40 non refundable OBC as a good will gesture.

Service. Uneven. Too many crew leaving and departing. Those departing did not care. So service was uneven in the beginning and back to normal excellent after Bali.

Full review eventually will be posted.

Is it too late to agree with you? Buenos Aires is a very nice city, many nice areas for walking, and no bodies lying around in the cemeteries unless they are entombed. Saw no garbage tossed or bums on the street; a very livable city.

Lima was very enjoyable too; granted we did not go to every neighborhood but we were walking in a number of neighborhoods without issue. A well deserved food Mecca, we enjoyed Chinese, Japanese, French and Peruvian food plus combinations thereof.

Haven’t been to the other cities excoriated by Hawaiidan but based on his lurid descriptions of Buenos Aires and Lima I cannot trust his assessments.

These were honest experiences and observations on over 2 visits, The theft of shoes from a fellow passenger sitting on a bench in front of the casa Rosanna was the corker.. .

. They ARE NOT fabrications , the abject poverty and physical squalor was overwhelming to me and I have traveled the world a lot. Not comparing it to US standards but just basics

Great if you dont mind it and love the cities...

The country side is great, the metro areas disgusted me..no one seems to care , And yes saw bums sleeping in the doorways of many high end shops. In most all cities there is a good ,better best ,and less than good areas. In So America with few exceptions it all seems to be mixed together the good and bad together .

If it is lurid to you I am sorry I was being direct and honest. and as truthful and objective as possible . I wanted to find something to rave or love but never found it.

I truly looked hard to find some redeeming quality and was frustrated in not finding it. I think the huge recession and inflation is partly to blame...

I will again -- I posted a full review..

General a disappointment -- yes it happens I would sail again, but DW who had the roach encounter would be a hard convince. I have never been on a ship where so many people have sent letters and emails to O complaining.

For me it was a mixed cruise. (I give it 3*) -- But there were lots of issues, and issues I do not find on other lines I have traveled.

Missed ports -- missed 3 for weather and 2 for mechanical issues (more later). The missed ports were due to tender conditions which were rough seas and wind. Yes it can happen, but talking with Aussie Travel Agents ships never make these ports during the Typhoon season as we had. So why did O schedule this trip at this time of the year.

So what did O due for the missing ports. 2 hours Open bar -- wow!!

Food -- food was mediocre at best. I like food hot and with some taste. Food was definitely not hot in GDR and especially and surprisingly in Terrace. Complained several times with Terrace manager. Cold soup in Terrace. Certainly somebody is not doing adequate quality control. The kicker was the roaches in the pasta. My DW spoke to the Sous Chef and he said he would get back to her and never did. This was typical -- complaints unanswered.

Had a daily contest to guess the pastry/bread chefs. There was a big variation on the quality of the Croissants and Baguettes. I love my bread. Good -- buttery taste for croissant and crunchy crust on the baguettes. Bad no butter and soft baguettes. Must have alternated as it was about a 50% hit rate.

Polo -- really bad. Turned down extra reservations from our butler. Chef could not get meat at MR level; either served Med or MW. Only correct thing was the prime rib as it is hard to mistake.

Toscana not a fan, but we had 8 meals, excellent service and Maitre'd ran a proper restaurant. Chef there was very creative with his pasta of the day.

Ships maintenance. At least for us lots of cabin issues in PH2. A/C did not work, veranda door would not open, bathroom issues. All were fixed but shows the age of the ship and the Master (or lack of one). Past issues already noted with ship losing power in Honolulu. We had loss of the PA/Interphone/General Alarm System. Oceania had no spare parts on board. Technician had to reconfigure the system to get the basic General Alarm System needed to work, so that we could proceed. Amazing no spare parts and that this item is not redundant (says that O has not upgraded the system since the ship was built). Heard lots of A/C complaints from others in the rear of the ship.

Ship Management. This is really a show stopper for me. The ship's management had higher priorities than the passengers. I will site a couple of examples:

• Seems like Australia is Travel agent mecca. Ship hosted TA events at each major port. It seemed like the TA's ruled the ship. A ships tour (2 buses) were held up from re-boarding the ship for 15 minutes at the outside gangway in the Darwin sun -- while the TA's disembarked on at a time at their leisure. My wife, who is a diabetic with low blood sugar and at the front of the line wanted to board. Refused. Eventually the mob led by my DW just boarded without permission. Complaint made to the GM -- nothing heard.
  • GM Missing in action -- no interaction. Complaints ignored.
  • Oceania corporate chefs on board. Many of the chefs were taken from their duties by corporate people who joined the ship in Bali.
  • Master/Captain -- this is not his ship. He was a quick substitute for the past Captain who left suddenly (wonder why??). Master was training his replacement so he could return to his normal ship (Riviera?).

Excursions -- we missed so many ports where I had excursions booked through O. This were O choice and the $100 OBC was a waste. I had paid money for the others and O would not allow a transfer to these. The excursion at PNG was a disaster -- tour operator cancelled and O provided a second rate tour to all and refunded only $40 non refundable OBC as a good will gesture.

Service. Uneven. Too many crew leaving and departing. Those departing did not care. So service was uneven in the beginning and back to normal excellent after Bali.

Full review eventually will be posted.

I am so sorry about your experience. Were you on the same cruise than cbb, who has conducted a live thread?

We were at the Oceania Sirena and our experiences were really good and different than the ones you are mentioning. I have a live thread on our experiences. Nevertheless, I do not doubt about what you are writing. I only wish you would post separately from a thread that starts "oceania never again... floating nursing home" in which the thread starter never returned to explain her problem.

Ivi

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone, where I may remain as far as Oceania is concerned. I have been seriously considering returning to O's Riviera because the ship is beautiful and will have been renovated when we wanted to sail on her. We particularly enjoyed TA's on Riviera. The idea of roaches walking through pasta on any O ship is unacceptable to me. If that is what comes out to the Terrace, what else is going on in the kitchen? That image will be impossible to forget.

Mary

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone, where I may remain as far as Oceania is concerned. I have been seriously considering returning to O's Riviera because the ship is beautiful and will have been renovated when we wanted to sail on her. We particularly enjoyed TA's on Riviera. The idea of roaches walking through pasta on any O ship is unacceptable to me. If that is what comes out to the Terrace, what else is going on in the kitchen? That image will be impossible to forget.

Mary

Mary,

I was on Riviera last November/December for a Transatlantic Crossing and I never saw any bugs of any type. As far as I could tell, the ship was spotless and I looked carefully. I saw countless crew members wiping down handrails, walls and everything else in both public and non-public areas. You may ask, how did I see in non-public areas?, well, I simply opened the doors that I saw crew going through and I opened them and took a look around. I went down a few decks using the crew stairs. Everything looked very clean to me. I am not discounting the passenger who said they saw a roach walking across a large bowl of pasta, but I am sawing this is not a normal occurrence. I found everything's no on ship to be top notch.

You must make your own decision as to sail on Riviera or not. I can not believe that any other ship carrying twice as many passengers could be any cleaner or sanitized.

Mary,

I was on Riviera last November/December for a Transatlantic Crossing and I never saw any bugs of any type. As far as I could tell, the ship was spotless and I looked carefully. I saw countless crew members wiping down handrails, walls and everything else in both public and non-public areas. You may ask, how did I see in non-public areas?, well, I simply opened the doors that I saw crew going through and I opened them and took a look around. I went down a few decks using the crew stairs. Everything looked very clean to me. I am not discounting the passenger who said they saw a roach walking across a large bowl of pasta, but I am sawing this is not a normal occurrence. I found everything's no on ship to be top notch.

You must make your own decision as to sail on Riviera or not. I can not believe that any other ship carrying twice as many passengers could be any cleaner or sanitized.

Being in the food industry, I've never seen the "roach" issue on any line. That's NOT to say it couldn't happen: Spiders in Bananas, bugs in heads of lettuce. Seen that in grocery stores. It's possible, though very slim chance.

Being in the food industry, I've never seen the "roach" issue on any line. That's NOT to say it couldn't happen: Spiders in Bananas, bugs in heads of lettuce. Seen that in grocery stores. It's possible, though very slim chance.

are you suggesting a trusted Oceania regular is making things up?