Oceania ..NEVER AGAIN...floating nursing home

drhugs

One reason I love Oceania is that they DO go to off-the-beaten path ports. Some of the places I knew absolutely nothing about have ended up being wonderful ports. (Ronne, Denmark, Visby, Sweden, Santa Cruz de la Palma and Lanzarote in the Canary Islands come to mind).

As for that part of the world, it is not exactly Europe, so if you're expecting Europe, you're probably going to be disappointed. And yes, a 35 day cruise with rather unusual ports is definitely going to attract older, more travel experienced people than a ten day one to the usual hotspots.

I've heard some bad things about Regatta, and some people have questioned if NCL is cutting too many corners, but I can't imagine that Oceania has changed so much that I will want to jump ship on my next cruise with them.

But I'm interested in hearing what the OP has to say - and yes, I would have loved to have boarded Sirena in the OP's place!

Roothy, I could not agree with you more. I have not seen ANY changes since NCL took over. I think NCL is smart enough to leave a good thing alone. Yes, bad things can happen anytime and on any ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Roothy, I could not agree with you more. I have not seen ANY changes since NCL took over. I think NCL is smart enough to leave a good thing alone. Yes, bad things can happen anytime and on any ship.

The magic words from anyone onboard Regatta was "we have to check with Miami." Never heard those words before the takeover.

Paul MCO is right.....heard this very often on the last Regatta cruise.

I asked if the burrito station on "Mexican Day" could be replicated on the other side of the Terrace buffet line but I was told that they would have to check with miami.....seems like a no brainer to me.

If the burrito line (you pick what ingredients you want and it is hand made for you) was 10 people long I wondered why we couldn't have one on the other side....but....no. I was told Miami makes most decisions.

Asked if the Sav Blanc from Au was resupplied after selling out, and the wine steward in Horizons said 'Miami tells us how many bottles of each we can order'....despite how frequently the Au wines were selling out.

oh well....headed for a cruise on Riviera at the end of the month and looking forward to it!

Paul MCO is right.....heard this very often on the last Regatta cruise.

I asked if the burrito station on "Mexican Day" could be replicated on the other side of the Terrace buffet line but I was told that they would have to check with miami.....seems like a no brainer to me.

If the burrito line (you pick what ingredients you want and it is hand made for you) was 10 people long I wondered why we couldn't have one on the other side....but....no. I was told Miami makes most decisions.

Asked if the Sav Blanc from Au was resupplied after selling out, and the wine steward in Horizons said 'Miami tells us how many bottles of each we can order'....despite how frequently the Au wines were selling out.

oh well....headed for a cruise on Riviera at the end of the month and looking forward to it!

I do not dispute that is what you heard and your responses are correct, however, I never heard any such comments on Riviera last November/December on our Transatlantic crossing, Rome to Miami. Any question I asked was promptly answered never passing the buck to Miami.

We had plenty of wine for the 18 day cruise and when I requested an item that was not on the menu, my waiter said he would see what he could do and it arrived 5 minutes later.

Perhaps, I just did not ask the really tough questions or encounter staff that did not have the authority to make decisions.

jamesnmphs--

And that's why I reported what they said and why I've discussed Regatta...none of these bear any resemblance to the wonderful experiences we always had on Oceania.

We've literally been around the world with them and loved loved all of our cruises but our last cruise was as if we were sailing another cruise line.

Heck, I've even been accused of being a 'cheerleader!'

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and one so so cruise out of many can happen.

Your Regatta cruise does indeed sound like an outlier. In our many cruises on O never experienced anything even close to what you and fellow shipmates report!! "The people in Miami" had better be on this one. Are you still scheduled on Mumbai to Rome?

palakika--

yes, we're still on Mumbai-Rome and in fact just heard from our TA today that Kusadasi has been put back onto the itinerary and Patmos subtracted.

We were originally scheduled to go to Kusadasi but Turkey and the US weren't getting along so Turkey refused to issue visas for Americans, so it was deleted and Patmos added....

Now we're back to the original itinerary!

We were on Sirena Rome to Venice last September. There were problems with availability of wine. No chianti by the glass on the last night, for example. Some of the people who got the wine package were upset that the bottles they ordered were unavailable. We never ran into that problem when we ordered bottles from the menu.

Mary

Carnival flies entertainers on board. If Carnival can do it routinely, I'd think Oceania could as well.

Carnival has more ships to float entertainers around. Let’s say they fly an entertainer to the Med. They will rotate this person between multiple Holland, Princess, et all ships in that region.

After years of cruising, Entertainment is low on my list of priorities. We don’t attend many shows but the ones we see are pleasant enough.

Carnival flies entertainers on board. If Carnival can do it routinely, I'd think Oceania could as well.

Maybe Oceania prefers to spend that money on food instead - and I am happy that they do.

It would seem that Carnival cruisers prefer good entertainment (such as it is) to good food and that is why Carnival does what they do and Oceania does what they do.

We only have 3 cruises on Oceania, 2 on Marina and 1 on Insignia. We loved all 3. We like the Marina better because she’s bigger and newer, but we very much enjoyed our time on the Insignia. The food on both ships was excellent as was the service. Our cabins were clean and everything worked just fine. Entertainment can be a hit or miss, but everyone knows O is not known for great entertainment. Do you want good food, service, a good itinerary or do you want great entertainment? We did 2 O cruises this past year and 1 New Years cruise on the Regal Princess. The Regal is a gorgeous new and big ship. The entertainment was first class, but the food in both the MDR and the buffet was poor. They had the worst frozen dessert up on deck but never real ice cream! The wait to get a table in the dining room each night was crazy. We turned Platinum with Princess on this cruise but sadly my DH said he will not cruise with them again. We are trying our first Viking Ocean cruise to Norway this summer and really excited about it.

We were on Sirena Rome to Venice last September. There were problems with availability of wine. No chianti by the glass on the last night, for example. Some of the people who got the wine package were upset that the bottles they ordered were unavailable. We never ran into that problem when we ordered bottles from the menu.

Mary

We had no lemons for 6 days,yet we stopped at islands that had some beauties!!

Dear Susan,

I am Drhugs, and I have read most of these posts carefully. It seems there are alot of Oceania "Groupies" on this site whose experiences vastly differ from ours (and many of the other disappointing posts found here and in different categories). I have found the responses to be quite extreme--from reprimanding to hilarious--- so--lol. I found it unbelievable that some would check out my age (no, I am not a BARBIE doll running around the pool in a thong bikini-lol)--I am the same "average age" of many others on the ship. Again, I thank those who wrote their comments...both good and not so good--I really enjoyed these comments more than the actual cruise. Best wishes all and Bon Voyage.

Perhaps "floating nursing home" was a bit of an exaggeration as most nursing homes have better and varied entertainment and activities than this ship did. One of the most frustrating experiences was I had to suggest a movie in the afternoon, a little Karaoki, etc....something, please!!!!--many daily activities were either canyon ranch spa lectures (probably 50% or so), self directed-bridge, canasta, puzzles, etc in the card room, 20-30%), and an activity or two--bingo, shuffleboard (10%) or so, with very little going on. We did love when the cultures of the area came on board and entertained us with their varied and lively repertoires from their respective areas. In addition, the shipbuilding contest was fabulous..such creativity and originality--now, that was fun. I expected more "fun" type activites--no, this is not a Carnival Fun Ship, but we do not have one foot on a banana peel, either! lol

I am now home a couple of weeks, and deciding if my long missive to Oceania ready to email will do any good. I have compiled notes upon notes. After meeting with the general manager 4 times (he was leaving at the end in Rio, so you know he has checked out already). The cruise director never bothered to contact me during the entire time--not even a call, but did suddenly appear at meeting #4 and defensively stated "we have 105-110% positive evaluations--and proceeded to inform me that Frank Del Rio who started Oceania offered "Gourmet Dining, interesting and exclusive ports and NO entertainment at all). Sorry, I expect entertainment to be commensurate with what Oceania professes itself to be. One cruiser suggested I learn how to keep myself busy--lol lol lol lol...

I am happy for those who perceive Oceana for being 5 star. It is not and will never be again...in my opinion. After all, this is Cruise Critic--where opinions and critiques are in the forefront. It is so obvious the big "O" has cut corners, so know this ahead of time and do your "due diligence" I am a world traveler and love cruising--I cruised Oceania in 2008, and it was simply wonderful and the best! So sad to see what has happened to this cruise line in the past 10 years...:( :(

So, to those of you who love Oceania~~~~ continue to love it and all it has to offer. As for me and many others, we will bid Oceania Adieu--and hope it takes these reviews and evaluations seriously. Remember, Royal Viking??? It did not change with the times, and I foresee Oceania continuing to struggle to attract new guests.

Thanks, again, especially, to Susan--

We just returned home from a 34 day Oceania cruise on the Regatta. We had the worst cruise ever and wanted to jump ship several times. I can say your comments are completely accurate. There was one disappointment after another. I actually don’t believe the ship is safe and will look into reporting that to the proper authorities. Oceania has gone down hill in a short period of time. The food which I thought was excellent on previous cruises was average at best. It was a cruise from hell. I am still waiting to hear from the company. I sent a long email documenting the issues and still have not heard back- the email was sent 2 weeks ago.

I have been cruising on Oceania since 2006 (and that is before 2008) and am approaching 30 cruises on Oceania.

In all that time I have not seen any significant changes in their entertainment or daily activities onboard - they are what they have always been.

Generally speaking, people cruise Oceania for the overall atmosphere on the ship, friendly, well travelled and well behaved fellow cruisers, itineraries, country club casual dress code, great service and wonderful food.

At least that is why we cruise Oceania; anything beyond that is an unexpected bonus.

Very few people choose Oceania for “fun activities” onboard or entertainment. We have been on many sea days and sometimes my DW has to make “tough” choices as there are overlapping acitivities and she can’t do them all.

Obviously, Oceania (or any other cruise line for that matter) does not suit everyone - one has to decide which cruise line fits their needs best. For you (and some others) it obviously is not Oceania. That is fair enough. We are lucky to have so many choices - we just have to make the right choice.

Happy cruising on whatever cruise line you choose.

PS - drhugs - thank you for coming back to CC although disappointingly you shed precious little more light with specifics beyond your original post.

Edited by Paulchili

I am somewhat concerned that I haven't heard much about guest lecturers onboard. Perhaps people don't consider them entertainment? More of an enrichment activity? Will these be available on our many sea days as we sail from Chile to Tahiti? I was very much looking forward to that and will be a bit disappointed to find that this is not an area where Oceania excels.

I am somewhat concerned that I haven't heard much about guest lecturers onboard. Perhaps people don't consider them entertainment? More of an enrichment activity? Will these be available on our many sea days as we sail from Chile to Tahiti? I was very much looking forward to that and will be a bit disappointed to find that this is not an area where Oceania excels.

IME, these can very from cruise to cruise. We have had some truly excellent lecturers and some barely passable ones (just reading their lecture monotonously).

From what I read, Crystal has the reputation for excellent enrichment programs.

Hope that you will be fortunate to have more good lecturers than not.

Please let us know what you think about the enrichment lectures on your cruise afterwards.

Remember, Royal Viking??? It did not change with the times, and I foresee Oceania continuing to struggle to attract new guests.

Royal Viking is an EXCELLENT example, because, like the Norwegian and Swedish American Lines before them (Scandinavians are cliquish), once Royal Viking determined that they could not provide absolutely top of the line service based on the fares which they could realistically collect, they sold out (to NCL, ironically) took their marbles and went home.

32985.jpg

In short they never suffered from loss of clientele, they simply were not interested in doing it if it could not be done in a first class manner.

Paul I have to say I agree with you..I have spent almost 400 days on Oceania since 2003 an I dont ever remember

some of the things Dr Hugs does..never games at the pool or elsewhere..everyone on CC knows O,s weak point is entertainment and what would be the reason for the CD to be in touch with Dr Hugs??

Each CD makes up his own schedule and plans the things pax do ..so every cruise is different..

I for one do not think much has changed over the years (except the food has gotten better) and I talk to Bob Binder several times a week ..I know O is always striving to be better and keep up with the times and try new ideas..some good, some not so good..I look forward to my trip on RVA Feb 26 and know I will have a great time..even planning my own days at sea with knitting and mah Jong..

I have made such good friends over the years which is the best of it..

Happy sailing on whatever cruise line you choose..

Jancruz1

JimandStan... you are so right about Royal Viking! We took our very first cruise in 1997 in Southeast Asia on Royal Viking. It was a wonderful trip. Which ship is in your posted picture? Thanks.

Jancruz and Paul.. your comments are right on the mark and the same as our experiences on O.

Francie

IME, these can very from cruise to cruise. We have had some truly excellent lecturers and some barely passable ones (just reading their lecture monotonously).

From what I read, Crystal has the reputation for excellent enrichment programs.

Hope that you will be fortunate to have more good lecturers than not.

Please let us know what you think about the enrichment lectures on your cruise afterwards.

Thank you, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

We don't cruise very often but we will have two cruises in 6 months on two very different lines. I'm looking forward to each of them for different reasons and would be happy to share our experiences when we return.

We have been on 2 Oceania cruises, both on the Marina. Both were port intensive European cruises - 10 day Baltic with 1 sea day, 10 day Med. with no sea days. Marina is our favorite ship. Is it perfect? No. But we love the food, atmosphere, service. Had olife on Med. in May and the ship excursions ranged from good to excellent. The entertainment was pretty good - a bunch from the troup and a few individusls. Went to around 2/3 of them and enjoyed them. The ports were great which is why we chose Oceania. Will be doing Cuba on Sirena in Dec. for same reason. We would probably not use them for Caribbean cruise, would likely use Celebrity. But for the somewhat unique itineraries we would give them first consideration.

Paul I have to say I agree with you..I have spent almost 400 days on Oceania since 2003 an I dont ever remember

some of the things Dr Hugs does..never games at the pool or elsewhere..everyone on CC knows O,s weak point is entertainment and what would be the reason for the CD to be in touch with Dr Hugs??

Each CD makes up his own schedule and plans the things pax do ..so every cruise is different..

I for one do not think much has changed over the years (except the food has gotten better) and I talk to Bob Binder several times a week ..I know O is always striving to be better and keep up with the times and try new ideas..some good, some not so good..I look forward to my trip on RVA Feb 26 and know I will have a great time..even planning my own days at sea with knitting and mah Jong..

I have made such good friends over the years which is the best of it..

Happy sailing on whatever cruise line you choose..

Jancruz1

How do I talk to Bob Binder?

Currently on the Nautica in Vietnam. I will later make detailed comments on the food that has ranged from excellent to mediocre. This comment is a mirror of an earlier point I’ve made.

Last night was the Captain’s Reception and Day 3 if the cruise, along with being a day st sea. Per the Captain, we have 650 passengers on board. Last night we had an excellent entertainer on board with a long resume of Broadway and performing with big name groups. We had many 50 people in the Lounge for the Show. To me the other 600 has absolutely NO vote on the quality of that performance! ZERO! I get tired of reading posts after post on these threads about the poor quality of entertainment when I believe the vast majority of those posts are coming from the 600, most of which wouldn’t stay up past 9:00 pm regardless the performance. That doesn’t mean every show is great, but the vast majority are.

How do I talk to Bob Binder?

Well here goes!!!

Before booking any cruise, decide what your expectations are, list everything you what/expect. Then contact your travel agent with what you are looking for. If you have an experience travel agent and you trust the agent they will suggest what cruise line you should go with. Every cruise line offers something different. Your travel agent will match your expectations to the appropriate cruise line.

Not every cruise line will meet all f your expectations. You have to decide what is important.

If your expectations are the evening entertainments, let your travel agent know that, they will suggest what cruise line will give you that, if it's food , let agent know that. We have travelled with "O" many times (excessive of 25 times) our expectation is the service and quality of the food. They have never let us down. We have 3 more cruise booked with "O" over the next 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems pretty straight forward to me Drhugs. Oceania is not right for you. It does not provide what you want/enjoy on a cruise. You must try to find a cruise line that suits your expectations. No amount of letters to Management will get you films in the afternoon (there are plenty of films on offer for you to watch in your suite) or Karaoke (really?) if these things are not Oceania's policy.

I hope you find what you like, so that you can enjoy a cruise again. J