Two people found dead Harmony Of the Seas

Via TMZ:

""Storm Chaser" star Joel Taylor died from a suspected overdose on a cruise ship ... this according to passengers on the boat.

Passengers on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Harmony of the Seas tell TMZ ... drugs on the party boat were plentiful, and they say 38-year-old Taylor was partaking."

Sad to hear about this. Condolences to their friends and family, alongside the Harmony team and current cruisers (I've been on a ship in a similar emergency before and it is not a nice feeling for anyone onboard).

Via TMZ:

""Storm Chaser" starJoel Taylordied from a suspected overdose on a cruise ship ... this according to passengers on the boat.

Passengers on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Harmony of the Seas tell TMZ ... drugs on the party boat were plentiful, and they say 38-year-old Taylor was partaking."

Very sad. Love his show. 😕

So I live a rather sheltered life but the "drugs on the party boat were plentiful" caught my attention. Is this really the case on the average cruise? When we got on a week long family cruise is there an abundance of cocaine and such floating around? It's never crossed my mind before. That said, we go from evening show to our room to get our young daughter to bed so haven't really even seen any 'party' scenes on our cruises so drugs just seems out of place for the long dinners and theatre shows that we know the ship for!

So I live a rather sheltered life but the "drugs on the party boat were plentiful" caught my attention. Is this really the case on the average cruise? When we got on a week long family cruise is there an abundance of cocaine and such floating around? It's never crossed my mind before. That said, we go from evening show to our room to get our young daughter to bed so haven't really even seen any 'party' scenes on our cruises so drugs just seems out of place for the long dinners and theatre shows that we know the ship for!

This isn't an average cruise - it is the Atlantis gay charter. Even then, I can assure you that the majority of gay men would not bring drugs on the ship, but I could see security being more lax on a charter.

I would really love to be onboard, the staff seem to be loving it and a charter cruise full of gay men sounds great fun, but the drugs issue does take it too far for me.

I've talked with people who have been on the gay charter cruises and they say drugs are very prevalent, along with heavy, heavy drinking, on those cruises. It's basically a non stop party. On your average cruise no, drugs are not commonplace at all. You'll see some intoxicated guests, but that's about it. Maybe a rare whiff of pot.

This isn't an average cruise - it is the Atlantis gay charter. Even then, I can assure you that the majority of gay men would not bring drugs on the ship, but I could see security being more lax on a charter.

I would really love to be onboard, the staff seem to be loving it and a charter cruise full of gay men sounds great fun, but the drugs issue does take it too far for me.

Sadly PNP (Party -n- Play) has become a growing part of the gay scene, much to the chagrin of the vast majority. Especially meth.

I thought it was ZERO tolerance for drugs....on ANY ship, whether charter or not?

It is, but it's not quite to easy to enforce. And passengers saying "there are drugs everywhere" is very different than them actually being seen in a place where staff can also see them. They aren't doing lines off the pool bar counter or smoking meth in the smoking section. They're doing it in rooms/private parties/etc. Just like anywhere else people party and do drugs where it's illegal.

It's sad that drugs are mainly prevalent on gay cruises. It gives homophobic people more arguments to hate us.

I'd actually say "drugs are mainly prevalent on party themed charter cruises". You put a large group of like minded people together with each other and they are more likely to let their guards down and "do what they want" in a social setting of peers as they won't fear the judgement.

I read the Joel passed this morning on Twitter but not until now did I know that he was on Harmony. To think of all the times I watched him chase tornadoes on TV, leaving chance to luck and Mother Nature and this was the way he would pass. May his family find peace during this trying time.

Edited by A&L_Ont

What's the ship crews going to do? Kick all the partying passengers off the ship? Risk having a full scale riot onboard?

I thought just recently another chartered ship, there was a bunch of people arrested with drugs at the port. I will do a search and find it

So sad for the families and friends of these people.

I am an avid Royal fan, but if Royal (and other lines) have had issues with Charter groups in the past, why would they even allow them to return? It's not like they can't fill these ships, is it?

We sailed on the Enchantment in early November and had an Amway-type group on board, can't remember the name right now. We were approached more than a few times to "sign up" and over-heard people at the pool telling each other how many people they got to "sign up". Harmless enough, I guess, but would have been nice to know ahead of time. :rolleyes:

OP states "Ambien" death possibly....This is not a "party" drug so doubtful it's the cause...perhaps in combination though.

Agree. Look at all the overdoses everyday average people, Hollywood, most due to Prescribed Drugs" is what they die from...