End of an era- no more Hot Glass Show

81dollar

Hopefully it will be replaced with the Lawn Club Grill like on Silhouette and Reflection. Once you have seen the Corning show, it gets repetitive and it has been on three S Class ships for about ten years. Time for something different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So to avoid being repetitive and in an effort to be different you suggest replacing it with something that has been on 2 of their other ships for several years? :D

It will be another venue for the DJs to blast out rap and techno at unhealthy levels.

I must be going deaf from years listening to rap and techno as I've yet to hear DJs blasting out anything like that on Celebrity. The DJ seems to play pretty safe dance orientated pop music from the charts ( or "hit parade" as I like to now call it since turning 50 :))

I don't want jazz string or any other time of oldies music please. I think some of us in our late 50's are starting to be the new customer as the 80 and 90 year olds stop cruising. Hope they add someone for the us younger folk :) though would be nice for the Lawn Grill to be on the Soltice :)

Do you think that it could be they didn’t renew their contract because the lawn area and that part of the deck on all of the S Class ships will be converted into a pool, and a private area for the suites?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I think it's , as initially reported, being made into a (for a charge) passenger glass blowing experience. :(

If you look at the sign posted on the current Equinox thread and the Daily announcement - it says "Be Back Soon".

The artists from Corning have years and years of experience so I can just imagine what wonderful (NOT) creations the passengers will be making. :mad:

I think it's , as initially reported, being made into a (for a charge) passenger glass blowing experience. :(

If you look at the sign posted on the current Equinox thread and the Daily announcement - it says "Be Back Soon".

The artists from Corning have years and years of experience so I can just imagine what wonderful (NOT) creations the passengers will be making. :mad:

I hope it will fail like charging for burgers and dogs at the Mast Grill did.

Here are today’s dailies .

b55e4bc3c423c8a69feff6684ef7aa1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Random observation- there are no garbage cans on this ship - I finished my Diet Coke and couldn’t find one - even checked by the elevators on 4. I set my can on a table and felt guilty - but I guess I am just trained to properly dispose of stuff.

Here are a few pictures from roaming the ship including the sign at the hot glass show, busy walking track and the gastro and martini bar. Time for Beyond the Podium.

4852131077f5a2f01e7bbde6a69bb812.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The two notifications on the Equinox.

The difference is that we still won't get the artists from Corning back when it does fail.

That relationship has already been severed. :mad:

I realize the difference and that wasn't my point. I'm in the minority here and don't care that the Corning Glass show is leaving. I will agree it was a great show to see and the artists were very talented. No doubt! I just hope if the new pay for interactive glass blowing fails (and I hope it does) Celebrity will do something different that everyone can enjoy without an added fee.

Edited by davekathy

The sign says: "break" not "elimination". A break indicates a planned return. I can't get too excited one one or another until I see what they are actually doing.

I know but I have a friend at Corning.

He confirmed that the relationship has ended.

Looks like it will still be on the Eclipse through February but that's all and then the Solstice is next.

Believe me, I wish it was otherwise!

The sign says: "break" not "elimination". A break indicates a planned return. I can't get too excited one one or another until I see what they are actually doing.

Looks like it will still be on the Eclipse through February but that's all and then the Solstice is next.

You're both right. This is Celebrity taking a break, not Corning, and the planned return of the glass blowing will be with another company.

LOL - people will pay to have a go at glass blowing - realise how incredibly difficult it is and how it takes years to master the art. They will walk away and never have another go. They'd have more chance teaching you how to play the piano than teaching you how to blow glass.

Don't doubt for a second what you are saying. However, I remember too many things that were criticized on these boards before implementation, but turned out to be positive changes. I for one expressed concern when Celebrity announced that Sky Suite passengers would be allowed to use Michael's Club. As it turned out my concerns were completely unfounded. Remember the complaints and criticisms when Celebrity announced vouchers for "Happy Hour" coupons on some cruises. Now most are disappointed if vouchers are not used. I'm hoping that whatever Celebrity does adds to the cruising experience. Only time will tell.

LOL - people will pay to have a go at glass blowing - realise how incredibly difficult it is and how it takes years to master the art. They will walk away and never have another go. They'd have more chance teaching you how to play the piano than teaching you how to blow glass.

Glass blowing classes are gaining in popularity and are structured to allow a rank beginner to create a piece within his or her first hour. This is a description of one of many classes available locally here in Ottawa:

blow your own ornament or friendship ball

Come into Flo and make yourself or your loved ones some specialty glassblown ornaments or friendship balls

Booking options:

Make one or many! Sign up online and choose any of the listed classes on the schedule. 6 ornaments per hour.

Email floglassblowing@gmail.com or call us at 613-695-3563 to book directly.

A great activity for the whole family! This class is suitable for children over the age of six.

Perfect activity for corporate events, school groups, birthdays, bachelor(ette) parties, Guide groups, or family gatherings! Flo can accommodate parties of up to 30 people (the ideal group size 10-15 people).

Want to make more than one ornament? Cost is determined by the number of items made, not the number of participants. Make six ornaments as a private session, or come in with a partner to make a few each!

Take your ornament home the next day!

Cost: $35 for adults or $30 for kids (6-14) per ornament

Includes: All material fees

Max 6 students/1 hour class

Prerequisite: None

Minimum Age: 6 and up!

Untitled-6.jpg

That's just one of many possibilities offered by the company ( http://floglassblowing.ca/classes ) but provides some idea of what Celebrity might be contemplating. I imagine that they'd probably double or triple the price, but it sounds like an interesting venture.

That is sad news, really sucks. I still have a large print of a photography I made of a piece of hot glass coming out of the oven hanging in my living room. Really sucks but I guess that is the way of the future now. More pay venues.

Here is my image from our cruise Feb 2016074bda89743629071bed1bd3262daed4.jpg

blow your own ornament or friendship ball

Come into Flo and make yourself or your loved ones some specialty glassblown ornaments or friendship balls T.

That is exactly what we did a few years ago on Solstice. :)

The always up to date Celebrity website still features the Hot Glass Showc67f787b63a0e48b58c9e527c586ac74.jpg

Probably remove it in a few years. Years ago Celebrity had three dress codes, Formal, Informal and Casual and changed to two dress codes Formal and informal. It took them five years to remove this significant change on the UK web site.

You're both right. This is Celebrity taking a break, not Corning, and the planned return of the glass blowing will be with another company.

Maybe another company or hire their own. I hope it’s more successful than producing their own production shows if they’re anything like we saw on the Silhouette in 2016.

Maybe another company or hire their own. I hope it’s more successful than producing their own production shows if they’re anything like we saw on the Silhouette in 2016.

It's not just the quality of the productions but their repetitive nature. The main show for our upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse is the same as we had for the same cruise two years ago. I guess it's cheaper if you can keep the same props and costumes year after year after year...

We recently cruised on the Solstice from Hawaii to Vancouver and I had been looking forward to the Hot Glass Show, since it was a different experience at sea. However, during our cruise, it was pretty windy, rainy at times and cold, making it difficult to appreciate the show.

The artists on board did an excellent job and their pieces were very beautiful. However, instead of being sold at reasonable prices, they were auctioned off at multiple hundred dollars a piece; thus reducing excitement and accessibility to the art.

All that to say that I was very happy to see the show once during a ten night cruise.

However, and I am sad to come to that conclusion, I would not book a future cruise taking in consideration the Hot Glass Show nor would I devote a significant amount of time to the activity on a future cruise. There may be a better way for X to use the space, and I hope the cruise line finds it.

In closing though, I would like to thank the Solstice Hot Glass Show Artists for demonstrating their talents during the cruise. It was appreciated.

We recently cruised on the Solstice from Hawaii to Vancouver and I had been looking forward to the Hot Glass Show, since it was a different experience at sea. However, during our cruise, it was pretty windy, rainy at times and cold, making it difficult to appreciate the show.

The artists on board did an excellent job and their pieces were very beautiful. However, instead of being sold at reasonable prices, they were auctioned off at multiple hundred dollars a piece; thus reducing excitement and accessibility to the art.

All that to say that I was very happy to see the show once during a ten night cruise.

However, and I am sad to come to that conclusion, I would not book a future cruise taking in consideration the Hot Glass Show nor would I devote a significant amount of time to the activity on a future cruise. There may be a better way for X to use the space, and I hope the cruise line finds it.

In closing though, I would like to thank the Solstice Hot Glass Show Artists for demonstrating their talents during the cruise. It was appreciated.

I hope you understood that all of the money from the auction went either to scholarships for students to go to Corning or to Celebrity's current charity (2 years ago Breast Cancer Research, last year the Wildlife Foundation).

When you buy a piece (we have 4) you get a receipt for a tax deduction because the money goes to charity.

They do give away pieces during the shows if you stay for the whole show.

I've seen the auctioned pieces go for 4 figures and I've seen some go in the very low hundreds - it all depends on the audience.