Diamond lounge access how do they check?

kiska

I tend to agree with you. And I could not care any less if I were asked to show my seapass everyday. It takes no time and I have nothing to lose. And if along the way they find someone is abusing the system I'm glad they got caught.... and booted out.

Ditto...+1! :cool:

I tend to agree with you. And I could not care any less if I were asked to show my seapass everyday. It takes no time and I have nothing to lose. And if along the way they find someone is abusing the system I'm glad they got caught.... and booted out.

I have no problem showing my card every time, what was a pain was on Majesty when they scanned it everytime and you had to ask to have it back.

I did see something that was funny to me on Majesty though. The Diamond event is in the front of the Viking Crown Lounge and there are USUALLY signs up on both sides. One night they forgot to put the sign up on the starboard side. There was a group on a family reunion and most were obvious first time cruisers. I saw a couple of teenagers walk up, see the sign, stop for a moment, walk around to the other side grab food, and sit down.

Totally agree.

Did you ever hear antyhing about the purpose of the "test"? We didn't.

When we were on in October there was no "guard dog" at the entrance checking cards. One waiter told us that prior to the test they were hesitant to ask to see the card, as they did not want to annoy the pax, but he said it was getting out of hand with the ones simply walking past the signs for free drinks that did not qualify.

Maybe that "test" was the easy way to ensure they could feel comfortable to ask....since they were asking everyone equally. We saw quite a few of them having to get up and leave once asked for their card.

When we were on in October there was no "guard dog" at the entrance checking cards. One waiter told us they were hesitant to ask to see the card, as they did not want to annoy the pax, but he said it was getting out of hand with the ones simply walking past the signs for free drinks that did not qualify.

Maybe that "test" was the easy way to ensure they could feel comfortable to ask....since they were asking everyone equally. We saw quite a few of them having to get up and leave once asked for their card.

Had not thought of that, makes sense.

I have no problem showing my card every time, what was a pain was on Majesty when they scanned it everytime and you had to ask to have it back.

I did see something that was funny to me on Majesty though. The Diamond event is in the front of the Viking Crown Lounge and there are USUALLY signs up on both sides. One night they forgot to put the sign up on the starboard side. There was a group on a family reunion and most were obvious first time cruisers. I saw a couple of teenagers walk up, see the sign, stop for a moment, walk around to the other side grab food, and sit down.

That I do agree with. Many times we had to ask for our card back. And indeed we also saw pax that were seated in the main area (not the event area) walk around the signs to get the happy-tiser set up, then return back to the non event area. We ran out of plates quite often.

Threads like this always bring back a great cruising memory! Let me say I fully agree with showing cards, even nightly, and know that it's good for all of us.

When my husband was alive we were on a crowded TA and met a delightful English couple. Diamonds were using one of the big lounges, I think Sphinx, anyway my friend and I went to the bathroom. I had no purse - my husband carried my card.

Bathroom was outside of the lounge - crew member at the entrance was doing a super job carding everyone. My friend and I were faced with trying to get back in with no cards. We made contact with our husbands - who turned and ignored us - totally in jest! Ladies you know how guys can think they are being funny! Crew member got the joke and let us in realizing we had been carded earlier. Such a great memory!

Threads like this always bring back a great cruising memory! Let me say I fully agree with showing cards, even nightly, and know that it's good for all of us.

When my husband was alive we were on a crowded TA and met a delightful English couple. Diamonds were using one of the big lounges, I think Sphinx, anyway my friend and I went to the bathroom. I had no purse - my husband carried my card.

Bathroom was outside of the lounge - crew member at the entrance was doing a super job carding everyone. My friend and I were faced with trying to get back in with no cards. We made contact with our husbands - who turned and ignored us - totally in jest! Ladies you know how guys can think they are being funny! Crew member got the joke and let us in realizing we had been carded earlier. Such a great memory!

Cute story! :D Thanks for sharing! Boys will be boys, eh? ;p

We have never had our cards checked but we don’t typically cruise during these high volume C&A cruises. Even Freedom Presidents Cruise had less Diamonds and above than an average Oasis cruise today. (On MJ, our cards were scanned for drinks in VCL Diamond Event).

Also, before Diamond, our Gold Cards opened the card lock on DL entry door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a couple of occasions the concierge have walked around the DL asking names and cabin numbers but i can't recall ever being asked to show our cards.

On occasions i have still had my card in my hand after opening the DL door and if the concierge welcomes us in i have often shown my card without being asked.

Oh no...not again! :eek:

Just chalk it up to Pinnacle envy! ;) ;p You two are always welcome to sit with us...no matter where we end up! :D:cool:

We adore Beatrice also, and love the airy open feel of the DL on Oasis.

We would be delighted to chat to you.

That I do agree with. Many times we had to ask for our card back. And indeed we also saw pax that were seated in the main area (not the event area) walk around the signs to get the happy-tiser set up, then return back to the non event area. We ran out of plates quite often.

Before the introduction of the DLs people often ignored the board with private event on and walked in but often they didn't stay long.

It is not costing RCI one cent more than it would have had the husband/wife still been able to cruise together. .

That is not really true. In fact, using that logic, one could infer that the wife's companion should be allowed to claim her deceased husband's social security benefit. After all, it would not cost the Social Security Administration one cent more than it would have been paying had the husband still lived! In fact, mortality rates figure into the cost of the loyalty program, just as they figure into the cost of the pension program.

I really looked forward to being able to qualify as Diamond to be invited first to the private event then DL when they appeared so i think its only fair that people meet the criteria before they can take advantage of this wonderful perk.

We have rarely used the DL because we have people cruising with us that would not qualify and the timing would mean we were leaving behind. We aren't going to put them in a position to be turned away and we aren't going to ask Royal staff to "bend the rules." The times we have been there, we were greeted at the door on our first visit and asked for our names. They had a clipboard and welcomed us (after checking and seeing we were indeed Diamond status). After that first visit, I have no idea how they remember you, but they do and greet you by name.

I would never object to any RCCL employee asking to see a card, any night... or every night. Or, if they needed the card for swiping.

Since we usually have a drink outside the D lounges, it is customary that that server or bartender take the card for swiping. The card is generally returned with or before we get the drink.

Why would anyone get angry or upset with the staff who are likely carrying out job instructions.

M

I really looked forward to being able to qualify as Diamond to be invited first to the private event then DL when they appeared so i think its only fair that people meet the criteria before they can take advantage of this wonderful perk.

Totally agree. +1! :)

We have rarely used the DL because we have people cruising with us that would not qualify and the timing would mean we were leaving behind. We aren't going to put them in a position to be turned away and we aren't going to ask Royal staff to "bend the rules." The times we have been there, we were greeted at the door on our first visit and asked for our names. They had a clipboard and welcomed us (after checking and seeing we were indeed Diamond status). After that first visit, I have no idea how they remember you, but they do and greet you by name.

The concierges and the bartender/waiters do indeed have a wonderful talent for remembering faces and names...and what you like to drink. :)

That was the nice thing about the 3 drink vouchers. No need to try to smuggle your non Diamond friends/relatives into the lounge. Can sit with them and still have your free drink perks in any other lounge.

I would never object to any RCCL employee asking to see a card, any night... or every night. Or, if they needed the card for swiping.

Since we usually have a drink outside the D lounges, it is customary that that server or bartender take the card for swiping. The card is generally returned with or before we get the drink.

Why would anyone get angry or upset with the staff who are likely carrying out job instructions.

M

Also agree....+1! :)

On Majesty last month, they did asked to see our cards in the diamond EVENT AREA. Of course, that is just a portion of the Viking crown lounge, not a dedicated room. I don’t believe they took our cards for swiping. Perhaps the close scrutiny is there is often no one “Official“ standing at the side event area entrances-there is just a sign. It is very simple for anyone to walk through that area. In fact, if you enter the area from the center stairs, there is no indication that it is a private event.

I’m sure the lovely appetizer display is appealing to many, even those who might not realize it is a private event. I don’t fault others for walking into the diamond event area on majesty, especially if there was no one or novsign near the center stairs indicating that it is a private event. The few times I have been there they have never run out of food or any other supplies.

M