Which is better for itinerary? Belize City or Puerto Costa Maya

Trying to talk my husband into a cruise for just the two of us in 2020. Looking at Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston as we've already been to Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral and would like to see different islands. I'm trying to decide between the two itineraries that go to Roatan, Cozumel, and either Belize City or Puerto Costa Maya. We're not big into sitting on the beach for hours and we don't drink so excursions that include alcohol don't really interest us. We prefer to get out and see the sights especially historical sights. Which one would be better for our type of interests?

Belize is known for cave tubing. Not a whole lot to see there. We did an excursion that was not the "hike" where you took a bus to a landing and floated in a raft. We've also done a semi submersible and then stopped at a manmade "island" for a two hour-ish. Belize is not somewhere to "walk around" outside the gated area.

Costa Maya, we do an all inclusive Maya Chan. It was a taxi ride by the coast outside of touristy area. We don't drink alcohol at all or do "beach" but we can tear up some diet cokes, cookie smoothies, and their INCREDIBLE guac and taco lunch.

I believe their may be a long bus trip to ruins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have been to both. Prefer Belize by far. We did the excursion to Xunantunich. Long bus ride but we got to see a lot of Belize. When we climbed the temple at the ruins we could see Guatamala. Costa Maya seems too fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been to both places twice......Belize, did Cave tubing the first time and the second time we went to Goff's Caye. Hubby snorkelled and I enjoyed the little island. Both were really great excursions! I don't mind the tender over, I'm on holidays....who cares!

Costa Maya, the first time my daughter and I went zip lining and the second time we went to the new amusement/water park they built right by the pier. (This water park is not busy at all) We felt like we had our own private spot with a few others. Elevators there to go up to the rides and they have TONS of zip lining there too. Lots of fun! Again, both were awesome! My husband and my mom did the ruins and enjoyed themselves as well.

Good Luck on your decision! :p

+1...not a fan of Belize anyway. Love Costa Maya! :)

Agree. We made the mistake of walking outside of the gated compound (:rolleyes:) in Belize. Yikes we were pounced on immediately by a lot of different hawkers. I threw a dollar bill on the ground to divert their attention and told my wife run, everyone man and women for themselves. Ok I made that part up. :D Lets just say I thought Ocho Rios was bad! :eek:

Looks like Costa Maya is winning so far. Honestly, the long tender to Belize may do it for my husband. When we went on our honeymoon cruise a "few" years ago, we had to tender to Cozumel. It was on an enclosed tender with no air circulating and the seas were ROUGH. Just about everyone was throwing up around us. You could hear, see, and smell it! When we got on land, we immediately went and bought some Dramamine. A couple from Kentucky who was on the same excursion begged us for a couple. It was horrible! But, after we recovered, it was a funny story to remember from our honeymoon. ;p

Agree. We made the mistake of walking outside of the gated compound (:rolleyes:) in Belize. Yikes we were pounced on immediately by a lot of different hawkers. I threw a dollar bill on the ground to divert their attention and told my wife run, everyone man and women for themselves. Ok I made that part up. :D Lets just say I thought Ocho Rios was bad! :eek:

LOL...I could actually see you doing that! ;p

Try Cartagena sometimes. Worst ever! :eek: No desire to go back there ever again. :o

Looks like Costa Maya is winning so far. Honestly, the long tender to Belize may do it for my husband. When we went on our honeymoon cruise a "few" years ago, we had to tender to Cozumel. It was on an enclosed tender with no air circulating and the seas were ROUGH. Just about everyone was throwing up around us. You could hear, see, and smell it! When we got on land, we immediately went and bought some Dramamine. A couple from Kentucky who was on the same excursion begged us for a couple. It was horrible! But, after we recovered, it was a funny story to remember from our honeymoon. ;p

If Costa Maya is your choice, you may enjoy this full day to the Ruins of Dzibanche & Kohunlich

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42738841&highlight=Dzibanche+%26+Kohunlich#post42738841

I'd still take Costa Maya because Belize is a tender port, and a long tender at that.

I need to get back to Belize as I wasn't scuba certified the first time in 2009. I hope they have improved the tender operation. Back in 09 it looked like the evacuation of Dunkirk.

Trying to talk my husband into a cruise for just the two of us in 2020. Looking at Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston as we've already been to Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral and would like to see different islands. I'm trying to decide between the two itineraries that go to Roatan, Cozumel, and either Belize City or Puerto Costa Maya. We're not big into sitting on the beach for hours and we don't drink so excursions that include alcohol don't really interest us. We prefer to get out and see the sights especially historical sights. Which one would be better for our type of interests?

I loved Belize! My mom and I did cave tubing the first time and went to the ruins at Lamanai the second time. I haven’t been to Costa Maya. I know I’m in the minority, but I thought the tender boat ride was fun. Belize is apparently not a Port you want to wander around on your own. We did the cave tubing with a private company and Lamanai as a ship’s excursion. I’m sure you’ll have a great time whichever you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I visited Belize the tender was actually a large ferry, not enclosed and if I recall correctly was about 15 minutes. We did a ship tour to Xunantunich. It was a long day, but really enjoyed it. I do have to say that Belize is probably the saddest area I have seen, so much garbage everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If Costa Maya is your choice, you may enjoy this full day to the Ruins of Dzibanche & Kohunlich

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42738841&highlight=Dzibanche+%26+Kohunlich#post42738841

How long is the bus ride? I don't usually book those tours due to the long

bus rides which take up most of the day sometimes.