When is an Upgrade not an Upgrade?

ExDean

How’s this for an upgrade? Our BD category stateroom upgraded to a B1 – same deck just down the hall. :DGreat. However, just out of curiosity we wanted to see what kind ofa deal we got. Surprise! The current B1 fare was now $1438/pp. We paid $1557/pp for the BD stateroom. :confused: Hmmm? We were upgraded to a better location which was now selling for $119/pp lessthan we paid. Checked our “former” BDstateroom - it was now $1296/pp - $261/pp LESS than we originally paid. What to do? Easy. Cancel (no penalty) andre-book (Anniversary sale) to our original BD (with all of our former OBCs) and save $522. That will now pay for some excursions. Glad we checked. Keep an eye out for those price drops. The upgrade fairy should be embarrassed:o.

All “upgrades” are not equal. What Princess considers a better location, you may not. For instance, a higher deck is considered a better location and an “upgrade” but if it’s far forward and you prefer towards the aft or it’s beneath the pool or buffet, it will be noisy.

There’s the impression by many that booking a cabin on a lower deck is booking “steerage.” Princess bases cabin categories and pricing on demand, which can be faulty or mis-informed. I once was on line checking in and the guy in front said to me, “I’m in a balcony on Aloha deck” with a supercilious attitude. I kind of looked at him blankly as I was in a balcony on Caribe. He had no clue.

Bottom line: be careful what you wish for.

When is an upgrade not an upgrade? When they move you from an unobstructed cabin on a lower deck to a cabin on a higher deck that has a window washer parked in the window all the time and that's under the buffet deck with deck cleaning noises starting in the wee hours. Happened to us. I can laugh about it now, but it wasn't so funny at the time.

It's always amazing to me when I look at cabins and the same type of cabin right next door is a higher "class" with a higher price tag. Really? I don't mind being one door farther along the hallway for hundreds of dollars less.

I usually book our cruises after the final payment date. Many times taking a guarantee is the only option I have. Our only bad cabin location was being assigned a Cat. OF from a Cat. OY guarantee. The Cat. OF was on the Plaza Deck at the very front of the ship. It was a tiny cabin--so small that it only had one night stand, and my side of the bed was pressed up against the wall. The little window was so far recessed that the cabin really should be considered an obstructed view. Technically, it was an upgrade, but the reality is that it wasn't.

It's always amazing to me when I look at cabins and the same type of cabin right next door is a higher "class" with a higher price tag. Really? I don't mind being one door farther along the hallway for hundreds of dollars less.

Yup!

Always have the Deck Plans in front of you when choosing your cabin .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We often take advantage of that for health reasons need to be midship, but will often snag the first Cabin in mid fore or mid aft at a substantial savings.

Princess will move pax around to make room for guarantee reservations or maybe other reasons unknown to man. There has to be breaks between the different classes so that there always is two room side by side that have different rates. For that reason, before I book I always look at the deck layout and frequently get a cabin next to a higher class cabin. On door does not make that much difference. We prefer aft cabins and use the aft elevator/stair bank. On our first Princess cruise we dumbly had a cabin right under the HC. We will never do that again.

On our upcoming British Isles cruise on the Royal we have one of those deluxe balcony obstructed cabins with the larger balcony that I’m told has no obstruction. We love Emerald Deck on Regal and Royal as we can avoid the elevator more often and use the stairs. Lots of exercise and less exposure to germs!

My cabin is marked do not upgrade as I’m sure Princess would consider a regular balcony cabin an upgrade but I would not!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Booked a GTY balcony on Royal and was BW at first but "upgraded" to BF with a lower price, but some of the lower level cabins are more expensive, I've never really understood this. For example, some of the obstructed balconies are more expensive than the unobstructed ones on the same deck, this is likely due to the location but still strange to me.