Real Books are Still Wanted!

janmcn

I wrote directly to the President's Office about the library issue and here is the reply I just received:

Library: Holland America Line is not “getting rid of our libraries”. We are creating a curated selection of books the majority of which are related to the destination. These include historical fiction books about the region,fiction books set in the region, and fiction written by authors from the region. We will also feature nonfictionbooks about cruising, navigation, maritime history, and more.

Ahhhh. They are not getting rid of their libraries. They are just putting in books that most of us won't be interested in. It's all clear now.

I wrote directly to the President's Office about the library issue and here is the reply I just received:

Library: Holland America Line is not “getting rid of our libraries”. We are creating a curated selection of books the majority of which are related to the destination. These include historical fiction books about the region,fiction books set in the region, and fiction written by authors from the region. We will also feature nonfictionbooks about cruising, navigation, maritime history, and more.

I love books about the a region, fiction and non-fiction. I wonder how they do this on a world cruise and on our Grand Asia and Pacific cruise, 12 different countries. ;-)

The first 3 weeks, I'll be fine with my kindle local library downloads, but then ... I guess, I'll have to buy paper and kindle books in case I don't like the HAL selections..

I love books about the a region, fiction and non-fiction. I wonder how they do this on a world cruise and on our Grand Asia and Pacific cruise, 12 different countries. ;-)

The first 3 weeks, I'll be fine with my kindle local library downloads, but then ... I guess, I'll have to buy paper and kindle books in case I don't like the HAL selections..

I don't understand . Can't you and others who have made the same comment reload your e-readers when in port ? It doesn't take long or use a lot of band width.:confused:

Ahhhh. They are not getting rid of their libraries. They are just putting in books that most of us won't be interested in. It's all clear now.

How boring. Just when I don't feel like doing research, and digging into a good novel, they do this?

How boring. Just when I don't feel like doing research, and digging into a good novel, they do this?

Ideally we have all done our research prior to boarding. We just want to relax with our 'who dun it or whatever you enjoy' and go on our preplanned excursions. I don't think HAL really gets lt.

This is just pure silliness. We experienced this new version of a "library" on the Westerdam last fall, and bear in mind, you are not allowed to check out the books. There are books on display and available to peruse while you are in the Crow's Nest. DH and I cracked up at some of the selections -- they were such long books! I wish I could remember with accuracy some of the exact titles onboard, but just think in terms of dipping into something like "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" to enhance your Med cruise. But better get through it quickly, because it might be in somebody else's hands next time you go back to the Crow's Nest.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an hour to kill, so I'm gonna go read "The Travels of Marco Polo" from cover to cover in that hour. :rolleyes:

Ideally we have all done our research prior to boarding. We just want to relax with our 'who dun it or whatever you enjoy' and go on our preplanned excursions. I don't think HAL really gets lt.

I totally agree with you. I do all my destination research in advance in order to decide what tours or activities I want to do in each port. Once I set sail, I want to relax with a book in my hands on any of my favorite subjects or genres. And I don't know how many times I've learn of a different good author by picking up something from the book exchange shelf.

we recently went on a full transit panama canal trip and had 2 or 3 of the great canal books that are recommended and so we were going to donate them to their travel book area and it took forever to get any kind of response of whether or not they wanted them......looked at us perplexed..........we finally just left them and hope they can include them in collection since they were brand new books..........appeared to be no staff assigned to "books" since the librarians were removed

Now this morning I received a different message from the President's Office. At least it's good news for future passengers on the Zaandam and Maasdam:

"Thank you for contacting Mr. Orlando Ashford regarding your ms Zaandam sailing. Mr. Ashford has reviewed your concerns and asked me to respond on his behalf.

We understand that public spaces are an important part of the shipboard experience and we regret your dissatisfaction with the library on this sailing. While there are still many traditional venues aboard our ships, our approach to the libraries and books is evolving. The physical space of our libraries is being incorporated into the new Exploration Central with book shelves throughout the room, not just in one concentrated location, and we’re adapting our collections to include more titles that complement the regions we cruise and provide additional resources to explore the culture and history of our ports. We’ve also noted that many of our guests now prefer e-readers over physical books. We regret if you feel we fell short in redesigning this space and assure you that your input will be shared with management for their review. With that being said, the ms Zaandam and the ms Maasdam will be going into dry dock this year for renovations, however they will be maintaining their library and will not have the complete Exploration Central space that the larger ships will have.

Thank you once more for contacting Mr. Ashford with your concerns. The feedback of our Mariners is vital to our continued growth and we hope to see you on the ms Zaandam in September!"

I noticed, on our recent long cruise, that it was about 50/50 on the paper books vs. the e-readers. I'm not too clear on what that latest correspondence is all about, or where they are actually going with this, but it is clear that many on this board would like things left alone. Personally, I like to read paper books as well as ebooks, and would dislike being without both options.

So the approach to libraries is "evolving." I think that translates to gradually going away.

But apparently that's OK because there will be other "traditional venues." Whatever that means.

And if Zaandam and Maasdam are not getting the full EXC, what aspects of it are they getting?

I don't understand . Can't you and others who have made the same comment reload your e-readers when in port ? It doesn't take long or use a lot of band width.:confused:

I reload from my local library, never tried that on a trip. It takes a while to find books, especially when I select new authors and genres.

I reload from my local library, never tried that on a trip. It takes a while to find books, especially when I select new authors and genres.

One thing I do is bring a list with me of potential books -- makes it easier than starting from scratch when reloading while traveling. It just means you have to do a little more work pre-cruise.

My six year old IPad went belly up this afternoon while I was downloading my reading material for the next cruise. Just got back from Best Buy with my new Kindle Paper White. Fortunately, when I registered this new device with Amazon, the books I had just purchased were downloaded to the new Kindle. Now the wife wants one when to replace her IPad when we get back.

My six year old IPad went belly up this afternoon while I was downloading my reading material for the next cruise. Just got back from Best Buy with my new Kindle Paper White. Fortunately, when I registered this new device with Amazon, the books I had just purchased were downloaded to the new Kindle. Now the wife wants one when to replace her IPad when we get back.

Glad you got all of your books!

My 8 year-old Kindle 2nd Generation decided it was going to stop behaving properly while I was on my cruise in January. I am seriously upset by this because I really prefer the buttons to the touchscreen of my hastily purchased Paper White. It was very disappointing especially because I had two days of the cruise left and had read all the paper books I had brought with me already! (If the books had not been promised to friends back home, I would have left the books for the book exchange.)

My library lets me add e-books to my wish list. I think I am allowed a maximum of three books at a time for just a two week period with no renewals. Someone mentioned up thread that the loaned book remains on your Kindle past the expiry date, if you keep wifi turned off.

My library lets me add e-books to my wish list. I think I am allowed a maximum of three books at a time for just a two week period with no renewals. Someone mentioned up thread that the loaned book remains on your Kindle past the expiry date, if you keep wifi turned off.

me, I did that.

After all these posts, I have decided to purchase a Kindle before we spend 42 days on the Zuiderdam in the near future. I can no longer depend on the HAL library to fill my need to read.

"After all these posts" I am truly glad this thread convinced someone to try something new .:D I believe in the future, you will enjoy reading from both paper and screen .