Real Books are Still Wanted!

janmcn

Just read a blog post that they are bringing the O's Reading Room/Book Club concept fleet-wide and all passengers will have the opportunity to read the current selection and participate in discussions on-board. I would assume that would mean there would be a number of copies of the current book selection on-board.

Personally I have no interest in reading a book O thinks I should, but then I have always avoided reading bestsellers because nothing turns me off a book faster than everyone reading it and talking about it. But it could be of interest to other people.

Just read a blog post that they are bringing the O's Reading Room/Book Club concept fleet-wide and all passengers will have the opportunity to read the current selection and participate in discussions on-board. I would assume that would mean there would be a number of copies of the current book selection on-board.

Personally I have no interest in reading a book O thinks I should, but then I have always avoided reading bestsellers because nothing turns me off a book faster than everyone reading it and talking about it. But it could be of interest to other people.

I’m not interested in what Oprah recommends any more than I would listen to Kylie Jenner’s preference on apps.

Any association with politics turns me off, whether it is the NFL or Hollywood award shows. (I held my nose and still watched games because of my strong football heritage, but I was repulsed).

My guess is they will offer free Oprah kindle downloads, just like the public libraries.

Plus, her book picks are always so depressing. Ugh.

I love real books too. But, I also use a kindle.

On most cruises, I bring several paperbacks, read them and leave them in the library on the ship for someone else. I'm sure others do the same.

Yes! I always leave the books I’ve brought onboard and finished. I also have a kindle, but I can’t share the books I’ve bought with others. I hate that they just sit on my kindle unread. (I’m a teacher, so the need to share reading is in my soul!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Latest Hal Blog. Is this the library solution?:(

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/os-reading-room-goes-fleetwide-features-oprahs-book-clubs-latest-selection-an-american-marriage/

Good Grief Hal! Maybe for some but I have no interest in participating in this.

What staff member will be in charge of this? Assistant CD? (perfect task for a librarian)

I’m not “toxic” over Oprah I have just never seen much in her recommend read book list that interest me. I’m sure some avid readers who enjoy Book Club review/ forums may enjoy this.

Will just continue to load the Kindle with literature that interest me.

Latest Hal Blog. Is this the library solution?:(

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/os-reading-room-goes-fleetwide-features-oprahs-book-clubs-latest-selection-an-american-marriage/

Good Grief Hal! Maybe for some but I have no interest in participating in this.

Thanks for posting the link to this blog. We should all leave our comments posted there as well.

Wow..I can only describe people opinion of Oprah(and by extension HAL) as toxic.:loudcry:

Nah, her book club selections are awful and certainly not for everyone. I know that I am very surprised that HAL took her on. Too commercial; promoting her.

Wow..I can only describe people opinion of Oprah(and by extension HAL) as toxic.:loudcry:

Well, when an Oprah book club includes BYOB (Bring your own book), it's not too inspiring.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-and-o-the-oprah-magazine-launch-os-reading-room-fleetwide-featuring-oprahs-book-clubs-latest-selection-an-american-marriage-by-award-winning-author-tayari-jones-300603000.html

Now, in the old book club days, they were supplied.

If we have to bring our own (or kindles for those that want those), I'll choose my roll call's selection which is relevant to our cruise / inspiring and carefully selected.

If I am paying, I'll choose which books I want and certainly won't buy one because "someone said so".

Well, when an Oprah book club includes BYOB (Bring your own book), it's not too inspiring.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-and-o-the-oprah-magazine-launch-os-reading-room-fleetwide-featuring-oprahs-book-clubs-latest-selection-an-american-marriage-by-award-winning-author-tayari-jones-300603000.html

Now, in the old book club days, they were supplied.

If we have to bring our own (or kindles for those that want those), I'll choose my roll call's selection which is relevant to our cruise / inspiring and carefully selected.

If I am paying, I'll choose which books I want and certainly won't buy one because "someone said so".

Agree. Well said.

I like and read both but I prefer electronic books on my cruises. I love to get up before the sun comes up...Grab my coffee and head to a spot on the ship where I can watch the sun rise while reading my book. Unfortunately, it’s harder to read a print book in the dark.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What staff member will be in charge of this? Assistant CD? (perfect task for a librarian)[\QUOTE]

On the Eurodam the Cruise Director lead the discussion. The book club only met one day and it was early in the cruise. I think it was day 2. The book club book was Anything is Possible. There were copies available for purchase in the gift shop. I didn’t know whether to go to the meeting or not since I hadn’t read the book. In the end it didn’t matter because the CD just gave a brief overview of the book. Then the 6 of us that had gathered just discussed author, books and genres we enjoyed.

I wish the meeting would have been called a book lovers gathering or something similar since it wasn’t really about that specific book at all. Or if it was to be a meeting about a specific book, we would be told in advance of boarding the ship so I could start reading the book before boarding to be prepared for a discussion.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable experience to gather with other like minded individuals.

What staff member will be in charge of this? Assistant CD? (perfect task for a librarian)[\QUOTE]

On the Eurodam the Cruise Director lead the discussion. The book club only met one day and it was early in the cruise. I think it was day 2. The book club book was Anything is Possible. There were copies available for purchase in the gift shop. I didn’t know whether to go to the meeting or not since I hadn’t read the book. In the end it didn’t matter because the CD just gave a brief overview of the book. Then the 6 of us that had gathered just discussed author, books and genres we enjoyed.

I wish the meeting would have been called a book lovers gathering or something similar since it wasn’t really about that specific book at all. Or if it was to be a meeting about a specific book, we would be told in advance of boarding the ship so I could start reading the book before boarding to be prepared for a discussion.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable experience to gather with other like minded individuals.

Sounds like a nice gathering, but a book club? I was wondering how we would know what book to read -- and if we bought it onboard, would we have to race through it? Strange set up.

I appreciate book recommendations, have been working my way slowly through someone's (Harvard's?) old list of the 100 best novels. Currently reading Sinclair Lewis's Main Street, can't wait to get back to more frivolous reading.

I looked through a list of all Oprah's Book Club books and found that I had read three of them, three more overlap with my top 100 list: Cry, The Beloved Country; Anna Karenina; and The Good Earth. Can't complain about Oprah's selections, even if our politics don't jibe. Nobody has to read them. Anything that gets people to read is OK by me.

Three of our HAL cruises had book groups, none of the books appealed to me, wasn't about to read them, certainly didn't want to discuss them with a group. I was happy to see others, including my wife, enjoy them. Keep the libraries, bring the librarians back, and keep quiet, comfortable reading areas on all HAL ships.

Exactly.NO ONE is making you participate in the book groups. Some here make it seem as if Oprah herself is putting a gun to their head to participate.:rolleyes:

It sounds like they are deathly afraid she might change their minds about something . Don't want that ! :eek:

BTW, no different if it was someone from the right. Seems we all prefer our opinions to be fixed.

Edited by richstowe
Second thought

Yes! I always leave the books I’ve brought onboard and finished. I also have a kindle, but I can’t share the books I’ve bought with others. I hate that they just sit on my kindle unread. (I’m a teacher, so the need to share reading is in my soul!)

I totally agree with you. I read a lot of books and always share those books with others when I have finished them. I am not a teacher but I agree with you, the need to share reading with others is in my soul. To me it would be a terrible waste not to share a good book with someone else.

For me, as an avid reader, I carefully pick my books to read on vacation. Load them from my library to my Kindle. I could never leave that detail to chance! I like paper books but my suitcase is much lighter this way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree with you. I read a lot of books and always share those books with others when I have finished them. I am not a teacher but I agree with you, the need to share reading with others is in my soul. To me it would be a terrible waste not to share a good book with someone else.

You can share Kindle books in a couple of ways. You can "loan" a book to someone and you can "share" your library with someone (usually family or trusted friend.....) Really, it's almost like a "real" book. :')

You can share Kindle books in a couple of ways. You can "loan" a book to someone and you can "share" your library with someone (usually family or trusted friend.....) Really, it's almost like a "real" book. :')

Yes, I have "loaned" Kindle books that way, but you can only loan each Kindle book only once, so if you want to share it with more than one person, you cannot.

I wrote directly to the President's Office about the library issue and here is the reply I just received:

Library: Holland America Line is not “getting rid of our libraries”. We are creating a curated selection of books the majority of which are related to the destination. These include historical fiction books about the region,fiction books set in the region, and fiction written by authors from the region. We will also feature nonfictionbooks about cruising, navigation, maritime history, and more.