Stateroom number on sea pass card -- why?

Turtles06

We were nearly at the end of our cruise on Anthem last week when I noticed that our stateroom number, without the deck number, was printed in small type on our sea pass cards. I just looked at the sea pass card from our only other cruise with RCI, and the same thing -- it showed the cabin number without the deck number. This was not the case on our cards issued by any other cruise line, just as hotels for quite a long time have not put any identifying information on room key cards.

I wonder why RCI does this. The staff and crew can determine someone's cabin number by "reading" the card on their scanners (if they even need that info), so they don't need it on the card itself. Of course it's a guest's responsibility not to lose her card, but stuff happens (and, for example, a busy drink server in the theatre might inadvertently give someone back the wrong card and a guest might not immediately notice). Even though the deck number is not on the card, there is only one cabin per deck with that stateroom number.

Any idea why RCI puts that number on the card?

Maybe to help the guest remember their stateroom number?

My thought precisely. I’m in a hotel sometimes twice a month and carry the little cardboard folder the card comes in so I don’t forget my room number.

Even funnier are the people forgetting their deck number and trying to open the right cabin number but on the wrong deck!

Why won't my door open. Ok now, I did that once...

I remember when Royal gave you 2 cards to carry around. One was your ID/Sea Pass, second was that old style room key with holes that looked like swiss cheese..

One poster said, hotels stopped doing this....Hotels had keys, and those keys had numbers. When they changed to the cards, they became reusable, and re-coded for next customer. Therefore, room numbers not on card.

Hilton has room key on your iPhone. OK, so it asks do you want to show your room number. I always say yes, because if they steal my phone, I have bigger issues to worry about.

I always need my room written down someplace, or I will go to the wrong room.

From a security standpoint I always thought the room number being on the Seapass was a bad Idea but I think the amount of people forgetting their room numbers would be both a inconvenience for the passenger and a lot of extra work on the staff.

If you do lose your card get a replacement ASAP to deactivate your lost card from your account and use the new card in the lock so it deactivates your old card from opening the door. The newer ships may not even need have the new cards used in the doors to deactivate the old ones.

Even funnier are the people forgetting their deck number and trying to open the right cabin number but on the wrong deck!

Yes, it happened on our recent Anthem 12 nite cruise. My better half got off the elevator on the 6th instead of the 9th. Realized her mistake as the cabin door had a Cruise Critic sign pasted on her cabin door.:')Can't recall the member's name.

Also, when you are making purchases where the card reader is unavailable (gangway) or the system is down (happened 2 weeks ago on the Empress) the staff hand writes the ticket

Having your partial room number on the card helps as a second identifier

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or they could just use your Folio number.

I work at a resort hotel and we do not have the room number printed on the key card for security reasons. Our Front Desk staff also never says the room number out loud as you never know who is lurking around. They do write it on the key pack for the guest.

Have done that. All the halls look the same. But then I noticed the steward in the area wasn't our steward.