Bringing food back to room from Windjammer

DeeDee316

Has anyone ever seen anyone put food from wj in plastic bags or containers? I'm thinking fruit or desserts for a snack later.

Planning on bringing ziplocs & possibly cheap paper plates to bring cheese & fruit back to the room, especially as there are limited snacking options after windjammer closes. I know about Cafe Promenade, but there may be times I can't leave the room because we will be traveling w/ disabled DD, & goes to sleep fairly early and she can't be left alone.

Has anyone ever seen anyone put food from wj in plastic bags or containers? I'm thinking fruit or desserts for a snack later.

I take zip lock bags in different sizes on every cruise. I'd prefer bringing anything from the WJ not be in an elevator with a bunch of people breathing on it, and I'd prefer not to spill anything on the ship. I grab some fruit in one baggie, cheese in another and crackers in one. I put the cheese and fruit in the fridge and late at night we have a nice snack to have with a bottle of wine. I could go to the WJ and fix a plate, slide it in the WJ and leave knowing it's also helping keep the heat inside it to get through the long haul to the cabin for breakfast. Also, if you want breakfast, you can still get the Continental breakfast from room service for free, which includes cereal, oatmeal, fruit, juice, milk, donuts, pastries, etc.

I brought on our last cruise I believe they were Glad brand disposable bowl covers. They came I think 8 in a pack of assorted sizes, I carried a few in a Ziplock bag in my purse. One of the smaller sizes fit the small plates and the medium fit the dinner size plate perfectly. Easy to put on, like a shower cap for your plate! I washed them out after each use. Much easier than trying to keep a napkin wrapped around the plate and quicker to put on than trying to slide in a Ziplock bag. Amazon and Target had them.

I'll note the ONE time the elevator was empty was the one time I had multiple plates of food from the windjammer. Very hard to push the button with a plate in each hand...barely managed to press it before passing my floor. I was thankful to not have people leaning over my food...but just one person to push the button for me would have been helpful!!!

I was once stopped coming out of the WJ by the elevators with a cup of coffee heading to the pool deck.

The guy says "you can't bring that out there".

I said "Really?"

He said "I'll get you a paper cup to put that in".

I said "OK, thanks".

As he went into the WJ for the paper cup I continued on my way.

I was once stopped coming out of the WJ by the elevators with a cup of coffee heading to the pool deck.

I said "Really?"

I said "OK, thanks".

That's so strange. I have taken a cup of coffee out of the buffet area to a lounger in the morning on every cruise I have taken and nobody has ever said a word. Sometimes I would get a cup of coffee at night, along with a dessert, and take it back to my room.

As a mother to littles, I commiserate. Buffets with kids is no picnic. Especially a busy buffet! Carrying multiple plates and leaving your kids unattended at the table or having them trail you at waist height. Then you get up 5 million times to get cutlery, a missing straw, drinks, napkins. Sit down restaurants are way better. Last time, our cabin was super close to Sorrentos. My kids ate a LOT of pizza that time. And that was also when room service was 100% free.

Ask one of the server's in the WJ for a plate cover when you want to take food back to your cabin...I've seen so many people standing in a crowded elevator with uncovered plates of food :eek:

I didn’t know they could give you one. What I use is a plate to cover the other plate and it works so far but a cover will be much better

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I said "Really?"

I said "OK, thanks".

I don’t drink coffee so I can’t remember, but if the cups are ceramic rather than melamine they shouldn’t be on the pool deck in case of breakage. Otherwise, I can’t see the problem.

I don’t drink coffee so I can’t remember, but if the cups are ceramic rather than melamine they shouldn’t be on the pool deck in case of breakage. Otherwise, I can’t see the problem.

I don't remember seeing ceramic coffee cups in the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade in quite awhile.

Trying to imagine how we will manage luggage and littles. Tips would help time me down. lol

If your kids are old enough to walk, get them each their own small rolling suitcase or small backpack for their own stuff. Toys, snacks, favorite blankie, whatever they may need easy access to, can stay in their own personal bag. If you're flying, they feel like grownups dragging their Dora the Explorer bag through the airport like everyone else (my son's was Bob the Builder). And the little bags can fit under the seat in front of you, so you have easy access to it during the flight (no fighting for space in the overhead bin). Once in the room, that is also their personal catch-all bin -- they put their toys/blankie back in their bag before leaving the room so it doesn't get misplaced or tossed in the laundry by the room attendant.

Make sure your luggage has straps for connecting bags to each other. Then you can strap one suitcase to another suitcase, slide a carry-on bag over the telescoping handle, and when you tip the bag to drag it, all the other bags get a piggy-back ride.

61j87nLGhLL._SY463_.jpg

I brought on our last cruise I believe they were Glad brand disposable bowl covers. They came I think 8 in a pack of assorted sizes, I carried a few in a Ziplock bag in my purse. One of the smaller sizes fit the small plates and the medium fit the dinner size plate perfectly. Easy to put on, like a shower cap for your plate! I washed them out after each use. Much easier than trying to keep a napkin wrapped around the plate and quicker to put on than trying to slide in a Ziplock bag. Amazon and Target had them.

I've found that disposable shower caps are the cheapest option going, ue them when camping/beach as well for food covers. They also double well as shoe covers for packing. $6 - $8 per 100 count on Amazon and I always grab the ones in the hotel rooms.

I use to inside bag from individual box of the breakfast cereal I eat every morning, usually in the DL or CL as the WJ typically has bulk dispenser and usually doesn't have the cereal I like, to store cookies and other treats for later consumption in our cabin. In some WJs these cereal boxes are also available.

Also we bring zip lock bags but prefer the above repurposing.

As a side note, in January on the Grandeur, they didn’t have the bulk cereal dispensers this time. All the cereals were in individual small boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you allowed to just grab food from Windjammer and bring back to your room? I can't remember from our last cruise. TIA!
It happens a lot.... No one was stopped on our last cruise

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Outdoor and camping stores have those collapsible bowls and I'm pretty sure they have lids. Would take up hardly any room in suitcases. I'm pretty sure most stores like Bed Bath and Beyond carry something like them too. Probably much cheaper there.

you're right, and I have all those 20% off coupons :)

I've found that disposable shower caps are the cheapest option going, ue them when camping/beach as well for food covers. They also double well as shoe covers for packing. $6 - $8 per 100 count on Amazon and I always grab the ones in the hotel rooms.

tullers, thank you for that tip. I think I still have a few of the disposable shower caps from hotel rooms but don't take them any more because I knew I wouldn't use them...until now. Brilliant!

Considering the cost of the little dishes, baggies & wraps it might just be more economical to order room service a couple times. Since the $7.95 charge is per order, make it count with a big order! Also, considering the relaxation factor- you relaxing with kiddos contained in cabin, knowing delivery is on its way. I’m clumsy, I would be tipped over in the hallway, all my snacks & good intentions spilled on the floor. Thats just me, you may well have more grace & success with the to-go plan!

Continental Breakfast is still free and the kids can eat cereal, buttered toast, fruit, and drink milk or juice. A good start to the day without having to run up to WJ. Plus after your steward is finished, all the debris is gone.

Room Service for everything else is $7.95, but that covers everything you order, even for four or five of you. When everyone is worn out, it’s still a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums