Bringing food back to room from Windjammer

DeeDee316

Why not go to the MDR for breakfast? We always enjoy it and it's not hectic at all (I don't do the buffet).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like the MDR breakfast but their hours can be very limited and once or twice per vacation we sleep in. If they had a continuous brunch service I’d choose the MDR over Windjammer every time. I find WJ breakfast the opposite of relaxing and not very good. TBH I’ve yet to be impressed by a buffet breakfast on any cruise ship

I like the MDR breakfast but their hours can be very limited and once or twice per vacation we sleep in. If they had a continuous brunch service I’d choose the MDR over Windjammer every time. I find WJ breakfast the opposite of relaxing and not very good. TBH I’ve yet to be impressed by a buffet breakfast on any cruise ship

I don't eat buffets on cruise ships. Swore them off a while ago. Then during our last trip we were on the pool deck and Solarium had a lunch buffet. I thought I'd give it a shot purely because I didn't want to leave the pool area. It looked awful but we made our plates regardless and had a seat. A few bites and we looked each other and said "let's go to the MDR for lunch."

At least I can say I tried.

I've found that disposable shower caps are the cheapest option going, ue them when camping/beach as well for food covers. They also double well as shoe covers for packing. $6 - $8 per 100 count on Amazon and I always grab the ones in the hotel rooms.

Since they’re not made to be around food, I would be concerned about what kind of residues might be on them from the manufacturing process.

Has anyone ever seen anyone put food from wj in plastic bags or containers? I'm thinking fruit or desserts for a snack later.

no but taking bags because some one suggested to keep from continental breakfast. Then don't have to go to WJ can get fruit and pasteries. also for that time when WJ closed. I'm a senior, like naps like little ones milk from morning in fridge and some not too sweet snack.na[. heaven! Only retired year ago!

I'm not sure the OP was concerned about economy over taking all the kids to a buffett. Just easier FOR HER, to get their food and have them eat in the room away from the crowds up there on occassion. What works for some may not work for others.

• 6 months later...
Yup. Just don’t count on trays being available unless you hoard one from a room service delivery

If you go to the Windjammer. you are going to get your tray there. No need to squirrel one away in your cabin. When you finish, call your Cabin Steward....they will be more than happy to pick your tray up rather than leaving the "leftovers' in the corridor for someone to trip over.

If you go to the Windjammer. you are going to get your tray there. No need to squirrel one away in your cabin. When you finish, call your Cabin Steward....they will be more than happy to pick your tray up rather than leaving the "leftovers' in the corridor for someone to trip over.
When is the last time you cruised RCI and went to the Windjammer?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Forums mobile app

They don’t have trays in the Windjammer.

OP- regarding all the suggestions for different things to bring to carry food, I’ll just add that you should use the WJ plates to get the food. Then once out of line, transfer it to whatever you want.

For my money and effort, I think piling food onto one or two plates, putting extra plates under those, and getting the plate covers from a server seems like the easiest alternative. No need to bring anything from home, and you can easily carry the covered plates.

Why bother the cabin steward if s/he is off duty or busy in other cabins. :rolleyes: Leave your dirty dishes/glasses in your cabin to be cleaned up later. Trays are no longer available in WJ anymore.

There ARE no trays in the WJ. And why would you think it’s acceptable to bother your room steward when he/she is off duty to clear out your mess?

Multiple thoughts:

- Eating in the room seems to me to be more work. You have to transport the food, then you have no access to salt and pepper, no way to refill a drink. When you're done, you have the messy trays leftover.

- If you're going to do it, I'd bring along a pack of paper plates from home ... then go get one BIG plate of food from the buffet, then divide it between the kids' paper plates in the room. If I were going to do it, I'd bring something like styrafoam take-out plates (and plastic forks) and a wide-mouth water bottle from home.

- Consider planning ahead: Go to breakfast in the buffet, and bring back fruit or cookies so you'll have a snack later in the day.

- Ordering room service would be easier than all this preparation and transporting.

- If the buffet seems too big for the kids, consider some of the smaller eateries: pizza place, little sandwich spot, Johnny Rockets.

- I "get" that the MDR is problematic because you have to wait for your food. Consider bringing some little puzzles or a Viewmaster viewer ... and withhold those toys except for waiting-for-meal-times so the kids'll be really into them for that short time. OR have one parent go to the MDR first, order, then the other parent can follow 10 minutes later with the kids.

Edited by MrsPete

I always pack a BUNCH of different sizes of Zip Lock bags, and use them for a million reasons. (It seems like I often need ice packs for injuries :rolleyes: ) In the evening, I will stop up in the WJ to grab a few cookies and a carton of milk or cheese and crackers to take back for a late night snack. (I normally cover one plate or saucer with another for the walk back.) Once in my stateroom, I transfer perishable items from the plate or saucer into a bag until I'm ready to enjoy them. While many say "just order room service," it's not about saving money. A lot of times I just want a little something when the WJ is closed. I don't want to spend nine bucks and wait more than an hour just to have four cookies and a carton of milk delivered.

I’ve been stopped on th the explorer and voyager from taking food from windjammers but I think it was on embarkation day.

The solarium on ovation will not let you take food out.

But just give them a dumb look like you don’t understand English and walk out.

We take those disposable plastic containers and fill them up at the food display,put them in our next cruise bag .never had a problem.

It’s great to have some fruit or cake in the refrigerator

Disposable shower caps from the dollar store work great as plate covers- I did this several times to bring cheese and crackers back to the room. If you are bringing back anything other than finger foods, don’t forget to grab silverware too or bring a few plastic forks and spoons to keep in your cabin.

We cruise with young kids. One has serious sensory issues with food. ( smells, sights). I would budget in a few room service fees. It’s SO worth it and easy with littles. Order extra cookies, chips, and if available the cheese plate.

We also find the off peak times in windjammer to be quite relaxing.