Received a Boarding Time

mevs904

We are sailing on the Coral on March 21 for a partial Panama Canal cruise. Our TA called us yesterday to tell us that Princess has assigned us a 12:30 pm boarding time at Port Everglades. We don't have a problem with it, but we were wondering if this a new procedure? We have previously sailed on an Alaska and a Caribbean cruise with Princess and don't remember receiving a specific boarding time.

is the 12:30 time when boarding starts?, or is it your specific time based on cabin location?

if based on cabin location, you may want to consider a new TA if they didn't explain that it is only a guideline...

do you have any kind of priority boarding?

As already mentioned if your TA actually used the phrase "assigned boarding time" they are grossly unfamiliar with Princess, which does no such thing. Only a suggested time for checking in based on your cabin deck. Unless there has been a specific notice of delayed boarding (due to a deep cleaning or a government inspection scheduled for that day) just show up as you always have done.

Thanks, everyone. As I mentioned, we are not concerned with the time. I think that I just used the term "assigned" and our TA did not imply that it was mandatory, but she did say that it was based on our stateroom location. We've booked our two prior Princess cruises with her before and her service has been excellent. It was just that neither of us remember receiving a time before.

We will be staying at the Disney resort at Vero Beach the night before so this time works well for us. I can certainly understand Princess's desire to spread out the arrival of embarking passengers.

As already mentioned if your TA actually used the phrase "assigned boarding time" they are grossly unfamiliar with Princess, which does no such thing. Only a suggested time for checking in based on your cabin deck. Unless there has been a specific notice of delayed boarding (due to a deep cleaning or a government inspection scheduled for that day) just show up as you always have done.

From my Princess itinerary: "To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at your time check-in time listed below. ... Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready."

Other posts here on CC suggest that if you arrive before your staggered check in half hour, they will not check you in and you will have to cool your heels. If you arrive AFTER your assigned half hour, fine and dandy, welcome aboard.

So, confusion seems to abound.

We have always arrived before our scheduled time (via Princess transportation, if that matters), and we have never been required to wait to enter the terminal or to check in. For 2 cruises, we were there before boarding started; obviously we were required to wait until they began boarding and boarded those in the elite lounge. And Princess will allow you to take your carry on bags to your cabin even if the steward has not finished preparing it for you. You can drop your stuff and go to lunch; cabin will be finished when you return.

We have always arrived before our scheduled time...' date=' and we have never been required to wait to enter the terminal or to check in... And Princess will allow you to take your carry on bags to your cabin even if the steward has not finished preparing it for you. You can drop your stuff and go to lunch; cabin will be finished when you return.[/quote']

That's great to know. Thanks.

Other posts here on CC suggest that if you arrive before your staggered check in half hour, they will not check you in and you will have to cool your heels. If you arrive AFTER your assigned half hour, fine and dandy, welcome aboard.

Not once in 25 Princess cruises have I seen this. On Disney, yes. Never on Princess. For one thing there is a lot more room inside the terminal than outside. Doors open around 11 and if you get there before 9:30 they might not have porters available to drop off luggage.

Edited by LeeW
more

From my Princess itinerary: "To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at your time check-in time listed below. ... Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready."

Have never experienced this. No one has ever asked us where our cabin was located prior to letting us check-in.

We sailed the same itinerary same ship last April. We ignored the suggested time and showed up at 10:30. We checked in quickly with zero problems.

I like to get to the terminal before things start backing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You read those comments on the Princess boards??

In the 4+ years I've been on CC, I've seen maybe 3 or 4 comments that boarding times had been enforced in a European port. Never happened in Fort Lauderdale, San Pedro, Dallas (now sadly gone) or San Francisco...these are the ports I've sailed from.

Actually no confusion for those of us who have cruised Princess many times...we just ignore that email, it really isn't true...only new cruisers seem to believe it...like I did the first time we got it! lol So, no worries, go when it fits for you...